This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• I've never plugged anything less than an 8 pin into that slot. I'll bet you a beer that's your problem.
  • I've never plugged anything less than an 8 pin into that slot. I'll bet you a beer that's your problem.
    I won't take that bet, I'm just waiting for the traffic to die down to go to Microcenter. :P
  • There is no amount, I have fun doing this.
    Fair enough. :) Me, I'd probably pay up to $50-$100 more or so, just to save me time. It's fun for me too, but not that much fun. :)
  • I just pick the parts and have them build it for me for $70. There is a nice warranty that comes with it too.

I tried installing a new CPU fan once and bent the pins. I didn't even notice it. Installing RAM or a new HD or Video card is fine, but everything else I don't want to mess with.

That's beyond what I'm comfortable with.
  • I just pick the parts and have them build it for me for $70. There is a nice warranty that comes with it too.
    Where is this? I'm curious. :)
  • Local store 5 minutes away from me. It's one of the better ones in my area. They built my HTPC.

http://www.infotechnow.com/
  • Local store 5 minutes away from me. It's one of the better ones in my area. They built my HTPC.

http://www.infotechnow.com/
    Cool. Figures it'd be a local place. :)
  • edited June 2013
    NCIX does computer building too. $50 Not sure if they do it for the US yet but they have a US online store.

Edit: They do not appear to offer this service to their American customers.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Utter disaster. It wasn't the PSU, it's the ram. Now I'm in for the cost of a new PSU and only getting my computer to work in single channel of RAM. Any time I stick any RAM in the other ports, it won't boot. FUUUUUUCK.
  • Adding a slight overclock is super easy these days, going from 3.0 to 3.5 is no big deal, and your stock PWM fan will be ok coping if you don't live somewhere too hot.

On a related note, my computer overheated on stock settings yesterday because California.
  • Adding a slight overclock is super easy these days, going from 3.0 to 3.5 is no big deal, and your stock PWM fan will be ok coping if you don't live somewhere too hot.

On a related note, my computer overheated on stock settings yesterday because California.
    Even though I like it warm, I run my A/C in the summer when computing for this reason.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't - power is fucking expensive here, yo - but I do have some pretty good cooling built in, and it keeps the whole thing relatively cool - I almost never get above the high 60s, even under load, and even then it's under 75. It generally idles at about 40-45, depending on the season. Not as cool as I could get it, but when the ambient is sitting at 35-40 I think it counts as decent.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't - power is fucking expensive here, yo - but I do have some pretty good cooling built in, and it keeps the whole thing relatively cool - I almost never get above the high 60s, even under load, and even then it's under 75. It generally idles at about 40-45, depending on the season. Not as cool as I could get it, but when the ambient is sitting at 35-40 I think it counts as decent.
    Power is fucking expensive here as well. Especially with my AC's being really big and powerful. Thankfully, they have timers built in, so I run then minimally. I also set the AC to 76(24), so it's not working that hard. I don't try to make it freezing, just cool.
  • Fair point - looking at it, NY is about 20 cents per KWh, we've got about 30 per KWh, plus 55 Cents a day for service fee per metering point(which is usually one per house) - Powerful AC here too, though I don't know if you've got a window aircon or a built-in unit.
  • It may as well be a window unit, but it's built into the wall below the windows. One in each of my two room.s
  • I've been running my A/C at 27, since I've had the house to myself. But my computer lives in the lower level which is more like 26. One of the reason I like aftermarket CPU coolers even though I don't overclock is I like not having to worry about the temperature of my room.
  • edited June 2013
    We have just the one in the main room and we're having real trouble getting the heat back to the bedrooms.

My problems seems to be that, while my coolers are doing a spanking job of it, the really old case I'm using isn't moving enough air.

Going to get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119274

2 fans front, 1 side, 1 back, 1 top. All 120mm. $50 on sale.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That doesn't look like it has good ventilation around the hard drives.
  • edited June 2013
    I have a couple of extra fans so I'm going to fill the fan port under the default front fan.
    Though I see what you mean with the HDDs being sideways.

Unrelated
  • It's not the sideways ness, it's the enclosure the hard drives will sit in. But you see what I mean.
  • That wooden block works only marginally worse than the graphics card in my tower right now. V_V
  • What have you got?
  • A mostly dead GTX 560 ti. Windows wont even install with that thing in. Only Linux will run it and only if you DONT install the Nvidia drivers.
  • That's plenty fast (It's just below the 6870, and I have a 6850.) but what kind of problems are you having? Have you changed the thermal paste?
  • I had a similar problem with my 9800 GT where the computer would only boot if the card's drivers were disabled.
  • Have you changed the thermal paste?
    On his graphics card?
  • Are you guys sure it's the card's fault and not the CPU or Mobo?
  • Have you changed the thermal paste?
    On his graphics card?
    Sure thing; After a few years, the cheap thermal paste they use can get nasty. Just unscrew the heatsync, wipe it away with alcohol and put your new paste on. You may want to put it on the block and lower the card onto it
  • edited July 2013
    The N200 is highly recommended. It's a bit cramped but that's because I had no idea how small it is. It's well priced and gives plenty of airflow and cable space.

When putting a case together, a set of tweezers from the dollar store is a must have.
  • Are you guys sure it's the card's fault and not the CPU or Mobo?
    No, I'm not, but the symptoms fit. If I had another desktop to test that parts against, I would. I have some thermal paste sitting around, so I'll give it a shot after Anime Expo. The only way it could guess worse is if it stopped booting linux. In which case I'll just take out the drives and mount on my laptop with my external dock when I need them.