This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Tom's Hardware has a monthly roundup of the best graphics cards for the money. They haven't done June yet, but here's the one for May:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-5.html
    So the 780 is just no good? I wanted a 780, but it's so expensive. I can do €400.

• Updated my wishlist. Swapped in a Z87 motherboard and switch the HD to a disk. Under $1K :)
  • Updated my wishlist. Swapped in a Z87 motherboard and switch the HD to a disk. Under $1K :)
    Still no PSU.
  • I'm reusing my current PSU.
  • edited June 2013
    Hmmm, a local Microcenter store has the i7 3770K discounted by $110. Maybe it's worth it to stick with Ivy Bridge over Haswell?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Well as far as I was aware, Haswell was mostly power consumption improvements, not so much performance.
  • edited June 2013
    • Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz Haswell + MSI Z87-G41 bundle : 259.99
    • GeForce GTX 770 : 399.99
    • Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 : 57.99
    • WD Black 1TB 7,200 RPM : 84.99
    • Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower : 57.99
    • Microcenter discounts for buying components with Haswell chip : -25
    • Total : 835.94
    Fuck yeah!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • $800 is still the sweet spot.
  • Yeah, I could reach that with dropping to the GTX 670, but the 770 performs better than a 680 and is $100 cheaper. More than makes up for the price.
  • I'm about the pull the trigger on this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1352789

Thoughts? I'm going all out cause I want the CPU/MB combo to last at least 4 years.
  • I'm about the pull the trigger on this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1352789

Thoughts? I'm going all out cause I want the CPU/MB combo to last at least 4 years.
    That will lost more than 4 years. When I bought $800 PCs in the past they all lasted 4-6 years. I fully expect my newest machine to last 7 minimum.
  • I need to re-evaluate my current wishlist for why it's so much higher in price than this one...
  • I pulled the trigger today. Got a GTX670 FTW on clearance for $320 instead of the 770.
  • I pulled the trigger today. Got a GTX670 FTW on clearance for $320 instead of the 770.
    Niiiice. I'm sticking with my 6870, I can only swing the mainboard and CPU right now.
  • After fucking the thermal paste on the Intel heatsink, I was lucky enough to get some Arctic Silver 5 before the store closed to replace the paste. Boots first time ^_^
  • Micro-diamond based thermal pastes are pretty neat.
  • Andrew, why only 8 gigs of RAM? That's baby talk these days.
  • I picked up two sticks of 8GB dimms because of a $10 discount on each.
  • Andrew, why only 8 gigs of RAM? That's baby talk these days.
    Until my computer starts running into the swap, I'm fine with 8.
  • Hmmmm, should I use the stock heatsink goo or use the Arctic Silver I have already. Decisions.
  • Hmmmm, should I use the stock heatsink goo or use the Arctic Silver I have already. Decisions.
    I use the stock on everything. Never overlock. Never have a problem.
  • edited June 2013
    Never overlock.

Hell Naw bruv overlockers 4 lyfe.
    Post edited by Churba on
    I'm not gonna overclock, just want it to run cool.
    I'm not gonna overclock, just want it to run cool.
    It will run cool. I never hear mine.
  • I had to replace the goo on mine since I accidentally put the heatsink on the CPU socket cover which caused the stock paste to get fucked up. Also, my mobo booted to an overclock screen first time as if they want to you overclock the thing.
  • Computer won't boot. It just beeps insistently. Not sure if it's cause my ATX12V only has 4 pins instead of 8 like on the board. I've used a 4 pin where a 8 socket was before though without an issue.
  • Computer won't boot. It just beeps insistently. Not sure if it's cause my ATX12V only has 4 pins instead of 8 like on the board. I've used a 4 pin where a 8 socket was before though without an issue.
    That does bring up an interesting question. At what point is it worth buying a pre-built computer over buying your own, assuming identical components or ones of equal quality? Basically, is there an amount of money you'd be willing to pay someone else to build your computer instead of building it yourself just so that you know it'll work as soon as you get it?
  • There is no amount, I have fun doing this. I'm about 90% sure it's the PSU, I just wish I had something to test it on before I drop $90 on a more powerful unit with 8 pin ATX12V.
  • Anyway, I've stripped the motherboard down to nothing to rule out a short. After that I'm pretty sure this MB just wants a 8-pin ATX12V and nothing less will do. I could take off the heatsink and remount the CPU, but I find that highly unlikely, Intel has gone to great lengths to idiot proof these CPUs and I was very careful to do it correct.
  • I was going to suggest the paperclip test but it sounds like the psu is starting, but not working.