This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• 1. No beep codes. Don't believe my mobo makes them.
    2. No built-in graphics.
    3. Video card has two DVI ports, neither work. It also clicks into both PCI slots, neither work.
  • edited January 2014
    I did a quick Google and other people with the same motherboard are most definitely reporting beep codes, so I'm quite sure you should have them.

Maybe you haven't connected/enabled the internal speaker?

Also, you've connected both the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors to the motherboard, right?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2014
    Both pins, yes.

I'm hearing a beep from what sounds like the HDD that I never unplugged from the power supply between swapping out Mobo's, and the audio pin is connected. I still don't hear any beeps from the mobo itself. And the manual doesn't mention beep codes.

Edit: Unplugging all drives, no beeps. Plugged in the only audio on the mobo. No beeps.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited January 2014
    Some motherboards have a built-in speaker. Otherwise, you should have an internal speaker that came with the case. I looked at the manual for your board; apparently it should connect to JFP2 pins 2, 4, 6, 8 (speaker/buzzer)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Something like this would do the job if you don't have one anywhere:
    http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW

Of course, in principle you could connect basically anything that will let you read the signal, but internal speakers are convenient.
  • Don't think my case has a built-in speaker from what I can tell. No cables that would fit there. I dunno.
    I could and should buy that thing, but I'll hold for the moment.
  • Why hold? Sure, you might well get everything fixed before it arrives, but it's a generally useful tool anyway.
  • I'm just too frustrated to make decisions right now.
  • Definitely the best idea. I'm shit-tier with computers - compared to the company I keep around here, at least - but I sure as hell know the more frustrated you are, the more likely you are to fuck it up worse. Chill out a bit, then sort it out when you're well chilled.
  • If you're not getting beeps at all, I'd go with a mysteriously busted motherboard. They always have tiny speakers and beep codes.
  • This is my second motherboard. I sent the first in for RMA. If this one is broken too that's just improbable.
  • Yeah, I don't think all motherboard have speakers built in; you probably do need to get one separately.

That being said, one should be wary before ruling things out as "too improbable". The more alternative possibilities you rule out, the less improbable things like that become.
  • I'm just saying that doing a second RMA on my motherboard is at the end of the list of things I plan on doing.
  • edited January 2014
    I have had to RMA a motherboard 3 times before I got a working one, first time, the main PCI-E slot had wonky pins, 2nd time, the 2nd PCI-E slot was non functionaly, 3rd time, there was a chipset problem on the motherboard because the conductive adhesive between it and the heatspreader was trash.

You've probably already deduced this but all you need is your PSU, RAM, CPU and motherboard to test, I will check your motherboard manual but most motherboards that I tend to use onboard speakers or onboard LED's or a mini lcd screen to give the reason for a failure.

Also test this bare-bone system outside of your case on top of your cardboard motherboard box or something plastic to rule out any possible short circuits with mounting screws (and to allow the motherboard to sit in its slightly flexed states (some motherboards are very sensitive to be super straightened out by screwing on mounting / hold off screws too tightly).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • edited January 2014
    To me sounds like others have said, the motherboard is DOA, I wouldn't recommend using this board with the CPU you have as many people on boards have complained about the following issue (this was also reflected in a review) on Newegg -
    This motherboard has a known VRM temperature problem with the higher-end FX processors. It's a fine budget board if you're using a budget processor, but do not put an FX-8350 into this.

If you do use an FX-8350 and put the CPU under 100% load, the power draw will be too much for the board to handle, and the CPU will throttle in order to save the VRM/mosfets from overheating and setting on fire. There is currently no way to fix this, other than opening up your PC case and pointing a house fan directly at the motherboard.

This problem doesn't matter for most people; it only becomes a problem when doing stress-tests, or other activities that use 100% of the CPU. It will run fine for a few minutes until it sporadically drops the voltage and throttles your CPU speed. I cannot do my HD video encoding because of this. Fortunately my board isn't damaged because of the built-in safety net, but I am still being held back.

I wish I would've knew about this before I bought the motherboard. The store warranty has now expired and I can't return it, so I must live with a functional (but broken) motherboard.

I wish MSI could release some sort of BIOS update to alleviate this, but I'm not sure if that's even possible.
    If you have access to another compatible motherboard or a friend or family has a board, check to see if your video card, RAM and CPU boot individually.

If you have some extra time you can even do a MEMTest+ on your RAM sticks, I'm not sure if your G-Skills have lifetime warranty but if they do and you have something pop up on Memtest within a 7-8 hour run you can have them replaced.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for with motherboards.

I would recommend looking for another board if your dealer will allow it.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I could potentially get a refund. I have no other cpu to test with it that matches the socket type.

I ordered that internal speaker. It should get here pretty quickly (I paid the $3 for expedited shipping). I will use that for beep tests to see if the CPU is really broken.
  • I'm pretty sure you mean motherboard (is broken).

I haven't seen a CPU that has failed yet, I've only ever had faulty RAM, PSU, SSD, old magnetic hard drives or motherboards over the past 2 decades of building machines.

Sure I've had had to drop an over clock after 4 years once but the CPU ran fine at stock and still tolerated a lower overclock.
  • I am building a computer.

It is not a regular computer.

It is a special computer for convention tables.

And from the outside, it'll look like this.

• How can you afford a beige box they are fucking monsters meant for 4k gaming?

1. Titan 4 way SLI
    2. 4 SSDs and 3 HDDs =15TB
    3. 17 fans + 2 radiators
    4. Corsair 900D
    5. 1600W powersupply
  • Needs moar floppy!
  • I now have a keyboard with clicky keys. ^_^
  • edited January 2014

I now have a keyboard with clicky keys. ^_^

You sound like you're getting a complete overhaul (with the Haswell upgrade, graphics card etc.), which keyboard did you get?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I'm slowly making preparations for a new machine. My current machine is is a touch over 6 years old and aside from a RAM and video card upgrade, she's stock from time of build. In other words, she's dying. Specifically this is noticed when playing BooRay quality video and loading into some recent AAA games.

Having not had to build a machine in about 13 years, I'm excited and a touch nervous at the prospect. I'm digging getting myself up to speed with the specs and standards now. Admittedly, I tend to ignore such things unless there is a seed change or I'm in the market for an upgrade.

I want to keep it in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. That price point seems to give me what I want which is a life cycle of about 4-6 years.

First off, I want to lock in a case and a MoBo. I really have no preferences when it comes to the case. Do you guys have any favorites? I will say that I keep my tower more or less out of sight so aesthetics are not a major concern. I much prefer a quiet machine.

As to the MoBo, I've taken a not insignificant liking to this bad bay....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976

She's a bit pricey but she does fit the mission statement of a long life cycle'd machine. Plus I dig the whole "military" aesthetic.

• That's a really expensive Z87 board, you could get a different one for only $150 easily. As for a case, is size at all a concern?
  • Not especially. I keep my tower under the computer table off to the side.
  • How much overclocking do you do?
  • Essentially zero.
  • edited January 2014
    Then, you don't need to spend the extra cash for a Z87 board. I only got one cause it came as a deal. And I kinda wished I hadn't, I'm having some odd USB problems with this board. These sorts of weird issues are more common with overclocking boards I've found, so I'd avoid them if you don't need those features.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited January 2014
    That said, Sabertooth boards are lookin straight baller status and I almost paid the exta G-Wash Money to get one simply because it looked hella dope. Then I decided on a case with no window which was a smart move as my case sits on the floor anyway... And all my hard choices of choosing color mathed and theme-aligned internal bits became Almost Worthless. Except for those glorious moments when I pop the hood and gaze at what I have created...

But yeah. If you're doing a case with a window? The armor on that mobo is *Kk-KLkk* ;)
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I should also mention I do go to LAN parties somewhat regularly. That is to say, about 5 times a year. *shrug*