This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• That is a nifty toy, and if I didn't already seem to have enough PWM plugs I would pick it up.
  • Also some water cooling pre-sealed setup companies will cover every component that fails from a leak. (read Corsair will replace every part that is damaged from a leak).

However real water cooling gives you much better performance for every part on your system.

My one thing is that there is still quite a few fans required. The benefit would be not having to use the graphics card air coolers which are the loudest.
  • Man, I really want to build a water cooling setup now but I'm completely strapped for cash.
  • I don't know much about liquid cooling, but some guys from another department of work were sharing stories the other day about some liquid cooled PCs that went down on them b/c the liquid had started crystallizing in the tubes and formed a mean blockage. So I guess it's not just leaks you have to worry about?
  • Matt said:

I don't know much about liquid cooling, but some guys from another department of work were sharing stories the other day about some liquid cooled PCs that went down on them b/c the liquid had started crystallizing in the tubes and formed a mean blockage. So I guess it's not just leaks you have to worry about?

Nobody in this forum needs liquid cooling for anything other than increasing the size of their e-peen. What next, you guys are going to start buying NVidia TITANs?
  • edited April 2014
    I dunno, it would be nice to be able to use my computer in the summer without it sounding like I'm running a small jet engine at half throttle. It's not strictly necessary - though I could do with another fan for when it gets warmer - but it would be nice. Mildly concerned that with another fan, I might actually achieve enough thrust to break into orbit, though.

What? It's not like I'm some e-peen crazed overclock kiddie, it just gets FUCKING HOT here.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

I don't know much about liquid cooling, but some guys from another department of work were sharing stories the other day about some liquid cooled PCs that went down on them b/c the liquid had started crystallizing in the tubes and formed a mean blockage. So I guess it's not just leaks you have to worry about?

Nobody in this forum needs liquid cooling for anything other than increasing the size of their e-peen. What next, you guys are going to start buying NVidia TITANs?
    That's why I know little to nothing about water cooling. Don't see myself ever growing my e-peen to that length. Fuck, I'm running with a Chromebook as my primary laptop at the moment.

• Apreche said:

Matt said:

I know this is a concept you don't understand, but some of us do things for what is referred to as "fun".
  • Matt said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

That's why I know little to nothing about water cooling. Don't see myself ever growing my e-peen to that length. Fuck, I'm running with a Chromebook as my primary laptop at the moment.

How is that working out? I have considered picking one up for general purpose computing but I keep wondering if it is better to just spend a little more money and get a more functional computer. Then I look at the value:price ratio of the sub $500 notebooks and realize that they all suck.

• Apreche said:

Matt said:

I know this is a concept you don't understand, but some of us do things for what is referred to as "fun".
    Simply buying and having things is not fun unless you are a shallow and greedy materialist. Doing things is fun. Things you buy are just tools required to do things. A videogame is no more fun on a $2000 computer that plays it on max settings than on an $800 computer that plays it on max settings. I would even go so far as to say a video game is no more fun on an $800 computer on max settings than on a $400 computer at reasonable settings. You won't even notice those graphics past the initial minute of wow factor.

Something in general that has bothered me for years is that people seem to think that just because they find something fun, then that alone justifies their decision to partake in it.

"I have fun playing this Pay2Win game, so spending all my time and money on it is OK."

"I have fun wasting a huge pile of money on a computer more powerful than will ever matter in my life, so I'm not a moron for buying it."

"I have fun collecting and never reading these old comic books that I could just read in trade paperback form for much less money, so it is justified."

"I have fun murdering endangered species, so it's a perfectly acceptable hobby."

If someone says they experience fun as a result of something, I do not deny that they do. But if someone does find things such as these fun, that is a clear indication of a flaw in their character. And I feel justified in judging people by flaws in their character, because it's fun! So eat a dick all you shallow materialists. I am a better person than you.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Matt said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

How is that working out? I have considered picking one up for general purpose computing but I keep wondering if it is better to just spend a little more money and get a more functional computer. Then I look at the value:price ratio of the sub $500 notebooks and realize that they all suck.

I got an Acer C720 off of Amazon for $200 and I love it.

I used to always have a nice desktop PC, but around 2009 when it aged out, I built a nice HTPC and bought a crappy $400 laptop to supplement. The HTPC is still doing great but the crappy laptop was just not cutting it anymore. I have kept the crappy laptop for use as a project computer when I do work with electronics (I have some data acquisition boards and virtual instruments that all require connection to a controller PC via USB).

Other than that niche use, the Chromebook works great. Super light and portable when I need it, but otherwise it stays plugged in at my desk w/ a dual monitor, nice mouse and keyboard. It's great for consuming the internet, and also great for writing. When I edit video or play games, I use the HTPC.

• edited April 2014
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

Simply buying and having things is not fun unless you are a shallow and greedy materialist. Doing things is fun. Things you buy are just tools required to do things. A videogame is no more fun on a $2000 computer that plays it on max settings than on an $800 computer that plays it on max settings. I would even go so far as to say a video game is no more fun on an $800 computer on max settings than on a $400 computer at reasonable settings. You won't even notice those graphics past the initial minute of wow factor.

Something in general that has bothered me for years is that people seem to think that just because they find something fun, then that alone justifies their decision to partake in it.

"I have fun playing this Pay2Win game, so spending all my time and money on it is OK."

"I have fun wasting a huge pile of money on a computer more powerful than will ever matter in my life, so I'm not a moron for buying it."

"I have fun collecting and never reading these old comic books that I could just read in trade paperback form for much less money, so it is justified."

"I have fun murdering endangered species, so it's a perfectly acceptable hobby."

If someone says they experience fun as a result of something, I do not deny that they do. But if someone does find things such as these fun, that is a clear indication of a flaw in their character. And I feel justified in judging people by flaws in their character, because it's fun! So eat a dick all you shallow materialists. I am a better person than you.
    You spend mad moneys on rent to live in NYC and partake of decadent things like Salt-N-Fat, you are in no position to judge anyone their materialism.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Personally, I know I don't need a water cooling system. But the idea of designing and constructing one appeals to me. It's the same reason I bought a broken turbo charger, and several firearms, to see them in pieces and understand how they work. I haven't bought a new computer for over a decade cause the one I have just works. There's nothing interesting about a new case, so I don't spend the money.
  • Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. If Rym wants to water cool for one of the actual valid reasons to do so (sound), more power too him.

Boy I could sure do with a new $800 computer. Mine is running on 5 years now, and I can still play the games I want, but I think it's starting to have other problems just related to gradual hardware decay. But I have to make it last a while longer still...
  • Personally, I know I don't need a water cooling system. But the idea of designing and constructing one appeals to me. It's the same reason I bought a broken turbo charger, and several firearms, to see them in pieces and understand how they work. I haven't bought a new computer for over a decade cause the one I have just works. There's nothing interesting about a new case, so I don't spend the money.

If you want to have fun building stuff, go pro and build the water cooler with stuff from Home Depot, not Newegg. That is respectable.
  • Home Depot? I didn't realize that it was Amateur hour. Mill your own heatsinks on the vertical mill, and machine your own pump-housings or just don't bother. We'll let you off on building your own motors, since it's only your first time.
  • Churba said:

Home Depot? I didn't realize that it was Amateur hour. Mill your own heatsinks on the vertical mill, and machine your own pump-housings or just don't bother. We'll let you off on building your own motors, since it's only your first time.

Pro.
  • Apreche said:

Personally, I know I don't need a water cooling system. But the idea of designing and constructing one appeals to me. It's the same reason I bought a broken turbo charger, and several firearms, to see them in pieces and understand how they work. I haven't bought a new computer for over a decade cause the one I have just works. There's nothing interesting about a new case, so I don't spend the money.

If you want to have fun building stuff, go pro and build the water cooler with stuff from Home Depot, not Newegg. That is respectable.
    Not a terrible idea. I think lawn mower fuel cable will be way more robust anyway.
  • edited April 2014
    Apreche said:

[...]

Maybe I will eat a dick, because it's fun! Seriously, though, what you're saying is pretty fucked up. On the other hand, I agree quite strongly with this:
    Apreche said:

I care relatively little what it is that someone finds fun - what I care about is what they actually spend their time doing. Merely enjoying Initial D is not evidence of a character flaw. Actually watching more than a few episodes Initial D, on the other hand, most definitely is.

There's a massive distinction between enjoying something shallow, and actually making decision to spend the time doing it at the cost of other things. It's also a nuanced issue, because it also matters exactly how much time and/or money it costs you.

Plenty of people derive enjoyment from owning nice things. It's a little stupid, but it's all too human, and it doesn't make you a "shallow materialist". What's wrong with deriving extra enjoyment from any facets of life that make it available? On the other hand, if someone devotes their life (or any significant proportion of it) merely to the owning of nice things, that's when it's a character flaw (and a serious one besides).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2014
    Churba said:

Home Depot? I didn't realize that it was Amateur hour. Mill your own heatsinks on the vertical mill, and machine your own pump-housings or just don't bother. We'll let you off on building your own motors, since it's only your first time.

After smelting the necessary materials from raw ore and naturally occurring things.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Churba said:

After smelting the necessary materials from raw ore and naturally occurring things.
    Of course. Though, we should go easy for a beginner, Wax investment casting from ingots is also acceptable. Barely.
  • The thing that mainly turns me off of water cooling every time is the regular cleaning cycle required and flushing of the system. In that aspect I'm fine with using compressed air to clean out my case every few months and use the same CPU cooler which I've been using to overclock systems for 3 builds.

I tend to also put more money than most people would on buying fans which are highly efficient in that they don't produced much noise yet still push a lot of air (hence I've got just under $200 worth of fans in one case.

I can't wait till Haswell-E apparently it will overclock very easily.
    Intel will be shipping them with a choice of tower cooler or closed loop water cooler.
    I'm not sure how much I should be looking forward to DDR4 but it will be required.
    Churba said:

Churba said:

Of course. Though, we should go easy for a beginner, Wax investment casting from ingots is also acceptable. Barely.
    Are you literally just going to put distilled water or some crazy off the shelf coolant.
    You'd have to start off with your base elements and make sure it is absolutely pure before putting it into all of your fancy pipes.
  • Don't forget to get your heavy water from the special heavy water pools deep under the ocean that Cobra used.
  • I take it Skope has Nocturnas.
    Here's my current case, I use 3x Corsair AF120s and the Seidon came with a static pressure fan. My reason for going with it was it's the cheapest GPU heatsync I could get at the time and the stock heatsync was damn noisy.
  • Omnutia said:

I take it Skope has Nocturnas.
    Here's my current case, I use 3x Corsair AF120s and the Seidon came with a static pressure fan. My reason for going with it was it's the cheapest GPU heatsync I could get at the time and the stock heatsync was damn noisy.

Good guess. I had 6 in my last build.
    The current build also has 3 Noctuas and 3 Silverstone 16cm fans (slow moving for even less sound).
  • So I'm looking to build a relatively inexpensive HTPC. Here's what I have so far, opinions would be appreciated:
    Case
    Mobo
    GPU
    Power supply
    CPU
    RAM
    HD
    Optical Drive

Still need to find a decent keyboard/mouse, and possibly a way to make the thing wireless. Comes to around $670. Does it look like all the parts are compatible? Think it will be too loud? Thoughts?
  • When purchasing a video card is it better to spend a little more on a single SLI supporting card (so you can later add a second for more life) or just buy a non-SLI card now?
  • So I'm looking to build a relatively inexpensive HTPC. Here's what I have so far, opinions would be appreciated:
    Case
    Mobo
    GPU
    Power supply
    CPU
    RAM
    HD
    Optical Drive

Still need to find a decent keyboard/mouse, and possibly a way to make the thing wireless. Comes to around $670. Does it look like all the parts are compatible? Think it will be too loud? Thoughts?

Will that power supply fit in the case?

• edited June 2014
    I like the potential for SLI even though many will often argue to just buy a better GPU later on vs a second matching card.

But I've had good luck with SLI in my case and the value is definitely there. All id say is if you do plan to SLI, gettook me a minute. My only thought is to the most banging card in your budget range so when you do get around to SLI-ing it, you're still sitting on some decent cards. By then hopefully the second card will cost enough less that it will balance out the upfront cost, and you don't feel like you've got a pair of dogs vs one beast.

Like id say 680, 760 or something like that.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • So I'm looking to build a relatively inexpensive HTPC.

An HTPC won't be used for crazy high end graphics, no need for SLI especially in a half height case which you want to be quiet.

That graphics card isn't half height, just look for the "low profile" section, it looks like the best you'll be getting is a nVidia 600 series or AMD 5000 series which is fine.

That power supply might not fit as it is ATX but I can't see the dimensions set aside for the power supply in that case.

You could use that CPU for on board graphics if you aren't going to be playing games otherwise I would recommend getting a lower TDP part like the 4570T or the 4570TE, they produce less heat therefore your cooling solutions produce less noise.

RAM, personally haven't used any G.Skills, not sure of the quality but there are other 2 x 4gb sticks for the same price or cheaper sold by Kingston and Mushkin who I have had really good experiences with.

I tend to not look at what is present in WD between Black and Green, I run a green 2 TB in my HTPC. I don't think the blue will be necessary for you unless there is something special about this range which I skipped over on the WD site. I would even recommend a 4gb version of the Green if you are going to be recording TV shows or keeping movies and TV shows on there.

With the motherboard, just make sure you're fine with PCI-E 2.0 and no USB headers. The former shouldn't make a difference as it is an HTPC. The latter may unless you have free access to the back of the case.