This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• It's not pedantry to point out a specific claim that is factually incorrect. You asserted that you can run modern games with max settings.
  • Andrew said:

Have you tried it? Other graphics game I doubt you could run full settings is Star Wars Battlefront.

Considering I've got a more powerful card(albeit not by a great deal, but still more powerful regardless), have actually tried it, and can't max it out while still getting acceptable framerates, doubtful. I won't say it's impossible, since Scott's computer voodoo is better than the voodoo that I do, but I sincerely doubt it.

Not bothered about what he thinks is a worthy game or not though. It's no secret that our tastes are not really that similar, to say the least.
  • Rym said:

Pegu said:

Rosewill is pretty sketch. It's newegg's brand. I got a card reader from them that's mostly dead.

Literally no one reputable makes firewire interfaces anymore.
    Folks like you and me might have to eventually give up our Firestudio Mobiles and go with the AudioBox1818 VSL or something.
  • Folks like you and me might have to eventually give up our Firestudio Mobiles and go with the AudioBox1818 VSL or something.

1. We haven't used the Firestudio mobile in a long time except for portable stuff. GeekNights is made on a Mackie Onyx 1220. Firewire only.

2. That thing does 8 track recording over USB2.0? How even is the latency on it?

• Dual 980's. What's an extra $1000+? Use that patreon money. Its a business expense, obviously.
  • edited March 2016
    Rym said:

Folks like you and me might have to eventually give up our Firestudio Mobiles and go with the AudioBox1818 VSL or something.

1. We haven't used the Firestudio mobile in a long time except for portable stuff. GeekNights is made on a Mackie Onyx 1220. Firewire only.
    Do you have a laptop with firewire or something?
    2. That thing does 8 track recording over USB2.0? How even is the latency on it?
    Never used it myself. From the spec sheet and various reviews, it seems like the latency is, at max, 6 ms when not in safe mode and as little as 2ms. Reviews on Sweetwater say it has no appreciable latency.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • My 2009 desktop has firewire on the motherboard and ports for it on the case. My old laptop had firewire. My current one has a firewire card.
  • edited March 2016
    Waiting for the next Gen of GPUs to drop before casting lots with a new setup, but I'm primed and ready for it. I want 4k. I want VR. I want to run benchmark tests at hugh speeds to obtain arbitrarily 'epic' scores that I will never share with anyone. I want to be able to manipulate more pieces and parts in CAD while dimensions are enabled.

As of now, I presume it will be worth approximately 5-600 US Dollars at that time. It will also most likely be incurred with the purchase of a new mobo/processor at that time to maintain parity with the latest GPU interfaces and also crank up my core values.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • What cases do you kids use these days? Do you actually mount radiators?

My cursory research shows that the most popular cases are still the same shitty garbage from a decade ago by and large.
  • Rym said:

What cases do you kids use these days?

The same shitty garbage from a decade ago.
  • Mine actually isn't in a case anymore, since the power button malfunctioned. Been sitting happily on it's original box on my desk ever since.

Otherwise there's this: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/obsidian-series-750d-airflow-edition-full-tower-atx-case
  • Rym said:

What cases do you kids use these days? Do you actually mount radiators?

My cursory research shows that the most popular cases are still the same shitty garbage from a decade ago by and large.

I don't know what the most popular is, but when I built my current machine, I picked up an Antec 300. I don't mount a radiator, but I've got some heftier air cooling than is typical. I've pretty much always used Antec or Lian Li, to be honest.

I know a few people with these who recon they're alright: Cooler Master MasterCase, Phantom 410, Corsair 900d(if you feel you like you need to compensate for something, fuckin' thing is just about a henge), I can't remember the model but just about anything by Fractal Design is alright.
  • I just have some sort of relatively cheap Cooler Master.
  • Antec, but if I get one in the future itll either be NZXT mid-size or I'll make one custom.
  • SWATrous said:

Antec, but if I get one in the future itll either be NZXT mid-size or I'll make one custom.

OH! I didn't mention, but that's one thing about the 300 that's been causing me some trouble - between my video card, drives, and hugemongous cooler, things are getting kinda cramped in there, and sometimes requires a little maneuvering to get parts in and out even when the case is empty.
  • Rym said:

What cases do you kids use these days? Do you actually mount radiators?

I built my first desktop a year ago and got an Antec two hundred 2, mostly because I wanted something that didn't look like it was designed for a 1337 g4m3r. Pretty happy with it, except I lost the HDD rails so I can't use my new drive.
  • Churba said:

OH! I didn't mention, but that's one thing about the 300 that's been causing me some trouble - between my video card, drives, and hugemongous cooler, things are getting kinda cramped in there, and sometimes requires a little maneuvering to get parts in and out even when the case is empty.

I got the Antec P280 and it's a big huge black beast of a box. I've got sli cards, a soindcard, a fuck off huge cpu sink and still plenty of room for the hands inside there.

Only downsides i've had are: the front door is usually getting hung up on usb cables plugged into the hub just above it, but only a problem when I accidentally open the disk drive I don't use. Other downside is the top fans are open to the elements, have no filters, and tons of shit can just rain down in.

Also after 3 years the stock fans finally shat the bed... but they were stock fans so whatever.

• SWATrous said:

I got the Antec P280 and it's a big huge black beast of a box. I've got sli cards, a soindcard, a fuck off huge cpu sink and still plenty of room for the hands inside there.

I'd belive it - looking at newegg, it's about four inches taller and three inches longer, and about an inch wider. The 300 is only 18 inches end to end and top to bottom.
  • edited March 2016
    I'm kinda feeling the cramped-ness of the good ol 300. And, really, it's not set up the best way for airflow if you've got a shit ton of hard drives.

That P280... I like it. All those grommets really tickle the part of me that's picky about cable management.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm still in love with my case for the HTPC I build just over a year ago (proactively replacing my 2009 build) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163260

Last month I upgraded my 2GB GTX 960 to an 8GB R9 390 in preparation for VR. Only wound up costing about $100 total after I sold the 960 on eBay and got a good deal on the Radeon card. Based on the benchmarks I'd read, it should perform somewhere between a GTX 970 and 980.
  • I like silent but good high air flow coolers -
    Silverstone FT02 (what I have now on my main computer, high air flow case)
    Silverstone FT05 (less deep, slot disc drive)
    Fractal Design Define R5 (really good modularity)

Silverstone due to 90 degree rotation so that all your motherboard I/O and video card exhaust up, the fans intake from the bottom and power supply fan in sucks in from the back and outputs to the top.

Fractal has really nice cable routing.
    Silverstone has terrible cable routing options but more than enough room if you want to spend some time cable managing.
  • edited March 2016
    So it appears one thing I fucked up here by saving money on an AMD card is that it doesn't support HDMI 2.0. Will be a problem when I eventually buy a 4k TV and want it at 60Hz. Ideally this won't happen for 2-3 years and I can do another little upgrade then.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited March 2016
    I have the Antec 902 and i'm not particularly happy with it. It's like 8 or 16 thumbscrews to access the drive bays. Several other cases have much simpler hotswap systems. Also, I'd like something smaller in future.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I can say my new mouse is badass for my needs. Improving the rig one bit as a time.

• I have a Corsair Carbide 300R that I'm fairly happy with: it's got cable routing holes everywhere that let you send your cables behind the motherboard to keep them out of the way, and a sideways drive bay with these toolless drive slots that make it incredibly easy to install and replace drives. Do be advised, though: the form factor of the drive bay gets in the way of the standard M.2 slot, so don't get my case if you want to use one of those.
  • I have a Fractal R5 and it's the best investement I ever made in a case. 8 3.5" Disk slots, lots of room for radiators, great cable management, plenty of room for fans and compatibility with all motherboard sizes.
    It also has baffling along the sides to help noise. I've got my home server in it and I couldnt be happier.
  • Alaric728 said:

I have a Fractal R5 and it's the best investement I ever made in a case. 8 3.5" Disk slots, lots of room for radiators, great cable management, plenty of room for fans and compatibility with all motherboard sizes.
    It also has baffling along the sides to help noise. I've got my home server in it and I couldnt be happier.

I'll be honest, I've been looking at them just now, and I'm genuinely considering it.
  • I have this giant garbage case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146079

And I'm happy with it.
  • If I were to go for a case today, I've had eyes on this for a hot minute:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146197

I love the proportion and the colored accent cable shunt.

Maybe next build.
  • SWATrous said:

If I were to go for a case today, I've had eyes on this for a hot minute:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146197

I love the proportion and the colored accent cable shunt.

Maybe next build.

That's actually pretty nice, if it only didn't have a stupid window on the side.

Is it a PC or a 2001 monolith?