This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• What is your problem with the window? How is that in any way bad?
  • Rym said:

What is your problem with the window? How is that in any way bad?

It is tacky as fuck. Imagine if you were going to buy a perfectly nice car, but the hood of the car was transparent. That's just stupid. It doesn't affect the performance, sure. Would you buy a car with a transparent hood? No, because that's also stupid.
  • I think a case window is cool, but I'm also the kind of person who would put ground effects on their case out of boredom.
  • Neito said:

I think a case window is cool, but I'm also the kind of person who would put ground effects on their case out of boredom.

Exactly the kind of thing I want to get as far away from as possible,
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

I think a case window is cool, but I'm also the kind of person who would put ground effects on their case out of boredom.

Exactly the kind of thing I want to get as far away from as possible,
    To each there own. I suppose if I lived through the era of obnoxious casemods, I'd probably agree with ya.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

It is tacky as fuck. Imagine if you were going to buy a perfectly nice car, but the hood of the car was transparent. That's just stupid. It doesn't affect the performance, sure. Would you buy a car with a transparent hood? No, because that's also stupid.
    So, you have no real complaint except that you care a lot about arbitrary fashion rules? You're just that guy who complains when people wear white pants or straw hats after labor day.

How is it tacky, old man? Why compare a computer case to a car? Other old man says your wall of comic books is equally tacky. And your socks are the wrong color. Now what?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

So, you have no real complaint except that you care a lot about arbitrary fashion rules? You're just that guy who complains when people wear white pants or straw hats after labor day.

How is it tacky, old man? Why compare a computer case to a car? Other old man says your wall of comic books is equally tacky. And your socks are the wrong color. Now what?
    Wall of comic books and socks get a pass because they are useful. If the plastic window on the side of the case was more useful than the alternative, it could get by being ugly with that excuse. In the absence of improved function, inferior form is open to criticism.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2016
    Who says it's ugly? Just you?

You're complaining about the color of someone's socks.

You need a case. Who cares what color it is? Some people happen to choose transparent.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Toe socks vs. regular socks.
  • MATATAT said:

Toe socks vs. regular socks.

Toe socks, much like toe shoes, are objectively superior.
  • Rym said:

You need a case. Who cares what color it is? Some people happen to choose transparent.

If it was 100% transparent, that might be cool. The window on the side, that's spinnin' rims.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

If it was 100% transparent, that might be cool. The window on the side, that's spinnin' rims.
    So? You have your aesthetic, you build your gear to suit. It's fine to have your own aesthetic, but being a dick about other people's is just being a dick. I think it's dumb too, I like my cases sleek, black, and simple, but I'm not going about calling other people's thing stupid. Be cool, man.
  • What's wrong with spinnin' rims?
  • Is this another 'I state I'm objectively right but I'm really just an irrational asshole sometimes' argument?
  • Andrew said:

Is this another 'I state I'm objectively right but I'm really just an irrational asshole sometimes' argument?

Looks like it. For the record, I also find windowed cases pretty tacky unless you're a casemodder doing something interesting.
  • Rym said:

What's wrong with spinnin' rims?

They can actually present a legit safety issue. Particularly in accidents(where they can get damaged and send the spinner cap flying loose at high speed) or with poorly made examples, where the roller bearing can seize and the weight of the spinner cap can either damage the wheel, or come free entirely and damage other vehicles or pedestrians. They can also impair wheel alignment, and cause much faster tyre wear, or damage the wheel if the spinner cap isn't properly balanced.

They've also caused a few accidents, by people seeing them and thinking the car is moving, leading to them either stomping on the hooks and having someone run up the arse of them, or by maneuvering away from the vehicle they think is moving and causing an accident.
  • I mean, if I could just buy a TMA-1 I'd be totally on board.
  • Part of me would want a huge ass case with room for as many expansion cards and drives as possible, and part of me wants something as small as an Intel NUC
  • Thinking about rolling with this case for your next build?
  • If I had the room for it, I would totally want that filled with modern hardware. It even doubles as furniture!
  • edited March 2016
    Churba said:

Alaric728 said:

I have a Fractal R5 and it's the best investement I ever made in a case. 8 3.5" Disk slots, lots of room for radiators, great cable management, plenty of room for fans and compatibility with all motherboard sizes.
    It also has baffling along the sides to help noise. I've got my home server in it and I couldnt be happier.

I'll be honest, I've been looking at them just now, and I'm genuinely considering it.
    I would recommend it, it's very easy to work inside of and it's roomy enough for big air coolers but if you want to do crazy liquid cooling you can also fit all that in.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • So a few things:

A case window is often a bit gaudy when thrown on a gamer case because everything on a gamer case is gaudy. But more importantly, because of the way many cases are balanced, the windows tend to be towards the back where the mobo is, and the front end is conveniently hidden because no-one wants to see your clusterfuck of an HDD stack. When the cases are unbalanced internally and the window is hanging out in the back I do think it's less appealing visually and is a reason why my current case is windowless.

But on something like the NZXT case I linked, the whole HDD stack is stuffed down below, which means the window can grow larger and be balanced on the side where it will show a clean area devoid of cable bullshit inside. The window isn't tacked on, its designed around as a core element of that case. Spinners are tacky add-on parts like interior lighting or what-not. This is more like a windshield.

If the window isn't a draw, sure it would be cool if they made a non-window version. I also imagine one could take the window and apply a sticker to cover the thing up adding either a graphic or just a plain color. It would probably look pretty cool, actually.
  • Part of me would want a huge ass case with room for as many expansion cards and drives as possible, and part of me wants something as small as an Intel NUC

I link this thing every chance I get http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039
  • edited March 2016
    sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Alaric728 said:

I have a Fractal R5 and it's the best investement I ever made in a case. 8 3.5" Disk slots, lots of room for radiators, great cable management, plenty of room for fans and compatibility with all motherboard sizes.
    It also has baffling along the sides to help noise. I've got my home server in it and I couldnt be happier.

I'll be honest, I've been looking at them just now, and I'm genuinely considering it.
    I would recommend it, it's very easy to work inside of and it's roomy enough for big air coolers but if you want to do crazy liquid cooling you can also fit all that in.
    Hm. When it comes time, I'll likely buy one(or the equivalent, if their line has changed by then). I'm sick of having to pull my computer half apart if I need to, say, check a connection, or throw a different stick of RAM in. Not to mention, it makes cable organization absurdly difficult.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Pegu said:

Part of me would want a huge ass case with room for as many expansion cards and drives as possible, and part of me wants something as small as an Intel NUC

I link this thing every chance I get http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039
    Oh man, when I have my Ward Cleaver library/office/den that'll be my case.
  • Matt said:

Thinking about rolling with this case for your next build?

I feel like that would suck to bring to lan parties.

• Apsup said:

Matt said:

Thinking about rolling with this case for your next build?

I feel like that would suck to bring to lan parties.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think people do LAN parties much outside of college.
  • Andrew said:

Is this another 'I state I'm objectively right but I'm really just an irrational asshole sometimes' argument?

Don't forget "starting shit for the sake of starting shit," the oldest and truest of FRC pastimes.
  • Andrew said:

Have you MET Scott? And didn't you hear the tone of Rym's "What's wrong with spinnin' rims?" when you read it?