This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• RymRym
    edited March 2016

Don't forget "starting shit for the sake of starting shit," the oldest and truest of FRC pastimes.

Them's fightin' words.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Whatever rig you land on, I suggest the $4,200 22 core Xenon Intel just dropped.
  • Rym said:

Don't forget "starting shit for the sake of starting shit," the oldest and truest of FRC pastimes.

Them's fightin' words.

Video
    "I'd like to have an argument please" should be a check-box on the sign-up for the forum.

• Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.
    Video
    "I'd like to have an argument please" should be a check-box on the sign-up for the forum.
    No, it shouldn't.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.
    Video
    No, it shouldn't.
    Yes it should!
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.

Video

If you fail to check it, we ban your IP range forever.

• I just played the beta of the new DOOM game. It doesn't get newer and fancier than that.

Max setttings, vertical sync, and streaming to Youtube.
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.
    Video
    No, it shouldn't.
    Yes it should!
    No, it shouldn't!
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.
    Video
    No, it shouldn't.
    Yes it should!
    No, it shouldn't!
    That's not an argument, that's just contradiction...
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Them's fightin' words.
    Video
    No, it shouldn't.
    Yes it should!
    No, it shouldn't!
    That's not an argument, that's just contradiction...
    No, it isn't.
  • I'mma throw some wild fallacies into the fray then dissappear like a goddamn cougar in RDR.

Be argued against! *hisssssssss*

OK but on the topic of computer parts I'm not even able to comprehend a 22-core CPU outside the context of some crazy server shit. But the thought of it coming to bear outside of the context of some crazy server shit makes me do a little Pam "Sploosh"
  • SWATrous said:

I'mma throw some wild fallacies into the fray then dissappear like a goddamn cougar in RDR.

Be argued against! *hisssssssss*

OK but on the topic of computer parts I'm not even able to comprehend a 22-core CPU outside the context of some crazy server shit. But the thought of it coming to bear outside of the context of some crazy server shit makes me do a little Pam "Sploosh"

They're useful for the precise reasons you think, high bandwidth processing of parallelizable tasks. VMs, rendering, physics simulation, large scale hosting and the works. We have 24 and 32 core xeons on the cluster for that reason. Most people won't ever need one for home use, as the types of people who will spend 3k+ on a CPU typically seek to make a profit off of it.
    I can't truly think how all that compute might make my normal computer experience any better besides the obvious faster and higher precision/quality, but I'm not the most imaginative on that front. The idea feels like owning a sports car when your normal commute is completely through school zones.
  • Would ordinary software on a home PC actually take advantage of all those cores?
  • No. Barring media transcoding/rendering and virtual machines.
  • I still want to get some cheap used server hardware with a multi cpu mobo and some older Xeons for a cheap like 12 or 16 core rig. You can get the quad cores for like 5 bucks!
  • edited April 2016
    Apreche said:

I just played the beta of the new DOOM game. It doesn't get newer and fancier than that.

Max setttings, vertical sync, and streaming to Youtube.

That game is made for current gen consoles to run on 1080p optimally. It runs a slightly tweaked version of the engine used in Rage which was and id title released in 2011 (the id Tech 5 engine is targeted at console users, you can see this when you run up to a wall in that engine the texture is completely blurred out to reduce the work of a GPU, this makes games look pretty good as long as you don't look at the ground or walls or objects up close, other games that use this are the Wolfenstein games).

Try playing any of the following maxed out in this futile discussion:
    Star Citizen beta
    Grand Theft Auto V (2015)
    The Witcher 3 (2015)
    Just Cause 3 (2015)
    Crysis 3 (2013) or hell even Crysis (2007)
    Project Cars (2015)
    Metro Last Light (2013)
    Arma 3 (2013) - see how far your draw distance goes before your machine gives up or drops below 60 fps
    Battlefield 4 (2013) - maybe even try 200% scaling if you're confident
    Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor with the HD content pack (2014)
    Ryse: Son of Rome (2013)

Note I am not saying that these games are worth your time but you claim to have a computer that can run the most recent releases at maxed out settings at a high frame rate (which I interpret to be a minimum of 60 fps dip, not an average of 60 fps).

I'm pretty sure these games become a slide show when something blows up if you run on ultra settings (inside of the game not letting the nVidia Geforce experience optimise the game for you).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • edited April 2016
    Don't upgrade to 4k until your body is ready. I took a picture of my old monitor next to my new one:
    imageimage
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Rym said:
    Seems like the NZXT advertising at PAX worked on you.
  • edited April 2016
    Rym said:
    Why is the M2 drive so much more expensive that the SATA SSD?

Also are you carrying over your video card? I ask because Jabrams asked me to help him spec a computer.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • M2 = newer faster better stronger
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:
    Seems like the NZXT advertising at PAX worked on you.
    Remember that TED talk on choice? Cases all cost the same (unless you go shit-tier or stupid-tier). My last two cases were OK, but not great. I've touched that one case, and I know it's better than any case I own. There's nothing to be gained by further research: nothing will be better enough to justify the effort.

The Newegg reviews are very high too.

Rym said:
    Why is the M2 drive so much more expensive that the SATA SSD?
    It's recently been made obvious by benchmarking that cheap SSDs are ultra slow. Way slower than they should be. We're talking garbage-tier slow. Performance and price prettymuch correlate 1:1 with SSDs.

That M2 drive is a properly high performing SSD. It's also PCIe: not SATA. It'll be like running Windows out of RAM.

• Keeping my GTX770. It's plenty fine.
  • Oh, I know there are better cards for cheap.

But right now, my workflows are bus-limited, CPU-limited, and disk-limited. I'm not pushing the 770 itself.
  • 770 is not VR Ready... tsk tsk
  • Andrew said:

770 is not VR Ready... tsk tsk

Even the 770 is a piece of hardware only a super serious PC gamer type person would have. VR system requirements too high for almost everybody. tsk tsk
  • I'll get a VR-ready card the day I get VR. Not a day before. ;)
  • edited May 2016
    Guys, what's currently the best value in non VR ready GPUs?

EDIT: Like the $300ish range
    Post edited by George Patches on