This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• waterfall elevator
    Well F**k, this is the problem with Minecraft; every time I feel like I'm done with the game someone shows me a new nifty thing to try out. Now I gots to install elevators in my fortress of Doom. (Also I think you could make long range transportation that doesn't need unsightly boosters by building an aqueduct just right... Damn).
    You can build two way boosters that are flat and three track pieces long, so not too unsightly. Also, for water to flow, you have to go down one block every seven blocks.
  • So, I've been playing Minecraft obsessively for a couple of days and I keep encountering beautiful vistas in it, so then after a few times I thought, hey why don't I take screenshots of some of the things I've found? So I did.

Here is an image of an arch I found outside the entrance to one of my exploratory tunnels. Alternative title for this image is "spot the creeper" or it would have been if the thing hadn't decided to unspawn while I was framing the shot.

An image from below the arch.

I finally found the ocean a stones throw from the arch. I've been fucking around in the mountains this whole time. It looks like this area has been through a great deal of simulated upheaval.

My apologies for the framing of the last image. Anyway, I tried to apply what I learned 4 years ago in high-school photography class to these screen-shots. I wonder if any of the photographers on the forums can give me any tips on how to make my screens better.
    Oh, and before anyone says I should have taken these screens in full-screen mode, when you do that it outputs a full resolution picture compromised entirely of black pixels. Don't you just love Alphas?
  • This game is fucking crack.
  • I was kind of bummed when i climbed to the top of a mountain and found out the clouds were actually cloudy and I couldn't create my cloud kingdom a la Jack and the Beanstalk.
  • ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
  • edited October 2010
    I was kind of bummed when i climbed to the top of a mountain and found out the clouds were actually cloudy and I couldn't create my cloud kingdom a la Jack and the Beanstalk.
    Random aside: Clouds always go North.

You could just make it out of wool.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
  • I found a blob of obsidian. I'm mining it with my diamond pickaxe, but what is it good for?

Also, I've got way too much fucking red dust. Is there any use for it besides making electric torches?

Lastly, is there a particular pattern for the rare minerals? If I find some diamonds, what pattern should I dig in to find more?
  • Obsidian is nice because it's almost indestructible, e.g. invulnerable to creepers and TNT. It has little use apart from that, though.

Red dust can be used to make flip-flops. Enough said on that topic.

I think seams tend to be continuous, so if you find diamond, dig up all the adjacent squares. Otherwise, the best way to find rare minerals is to dig long horizontal shafts around 10 blocks above the adminium level.
  • Otherwise, the best way to find rare minerals is to dig long horizontal shafts around 10 blocks above the adminium level.
    That's what I'm doing.
  • I have an odd question, I found a REALLY deep cave and uncovered both diamonds and red stone (yay) but also found where the entire floor is lava as well. After a little makeshift bridge making I uncovered another stone type that I am not familiar with it appears to be solid black with purple lines in it. I didn't attempt to harvest it yet since I was in exploring mode however I am not sure what it is, anyone know?
  • Hey Grey - what skin pack are you using in those screen shots?
  • Someone should make tutorials on flip flops and other related circuits using Minecraft as a teaching resource.
  • I just started using mine carts. How do you attach carts to each other to make a train? I figured out how to make a booster, but it can only boost one car, since they are unattached.

Also, wtf is up with the engine cars? I put a coal in, but it boosts it in the wrong direction.
  • The key to boosting is to place the furnace in the correct direction, simply take it out and place it back in
  • I just started using mine carts. How do you attach carts to each other to make a train? I figured out how to make a booster, but it can only boost one car, since they are unattached.

Also, wtf is up with the engine cars? I put a coal in, but it boosts it in the wrong direction.
    You don't attach them, and engines don't pull -- they'll only push what's in front of them.
  • The key to boosting is to place the furnace in the correct direction, simply take it out and place it back in
    But wait, I put the furnace in there in the workshop...
  • edited October 2010
    I just started using mine carts. How do you attach carts to each other to make a train? I figured out how to make a booster, but it can only boost one car, since they are unattached.
    Carts don't snap together yet.
    Also, I've got way too much fucking red dust. Is there any use for it besides making electric torches?
    Basically you can drop the dust on the ground to make wires and use switches and those red torches to turn the wires on and off. If you put a switch on one end and a door on the other, when you flip the switch the door opens. Some guy made a freaking ALU out of redstone that we posted earlier in the thread.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • You can also wire pressure plates to TNT with redstone to make landmines.
  • Basically you can drop the dust on the ground to make wires and use switches and those red torches to turn the wires on and off.
    Can I turn the red torches on and off?
  • Your schematic would basically be: Torch ----> Switch ----> Device. The red torches are essentially electric batteries; there isn't a "lightbulb" (yet).
  • Basically you can drop the dust on the ground to make wires and use switches and those red torches to turn the wires on and off.
    Can I turn the red torches on and off?
    Redstone torches are supposed to be eternally lit.
  • Take a couple of rides with me in my fort! Wooooooooooh!
  • Your schematic would basically be: Torch ----> Switch ----> Device. The red torches are essentially electric batteries; there isn't a "lightbulb" (yet).
    Actually, this is not true. A switch will power the wire without a torch.

If you feed power to a torch, it goes off. You can basically use them to save states.
  • edited October 2010
    Really? Wow. I did not know that. I'll have to remember that for building signal towers in multiplayer. Morse code signalling, awwwwwwwwww yeah.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    If you feed power to a torch, it goes off. You can basically use them to save states.
    Aha!

Also, that video puts my castle to shame. I don't know if I even want to post it now.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sharing each others' worlds should be as easy as putting them in the Minecraft saves folder. Here's mine.
  • Hey Grey - what skin pack are you using in those screen shots?
    DOKU RPG TEXTURE PACK! (with flowers)