This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• How do you craft a sign?
  • How do you craft a sign?
    Sign.
  • Because of this thread I kinda want to get Minecraft now. Problem is that doing so would make me a shit talker, because I have been (quite loudly) telling people that I'm not willing to buy Minecraft and it's waste of money and time. Well, wouldn't be the first time I'd have to eat my words.
  • I found some Obsidian, anyone know what I can do with it besides creating armor?
  • Can't be used to make armor. Can be used to make creeper-proof walls.
  • edited October 2010
    You know what would be awesome? CTF mode.
    Basically, two teams get X amount of time to build a crazy fortress with loads of traps, then, when the time is up, you switch to a mode where you can't place or destroy blocks, and both teams attempt to capture the flag from the enemy's flag room and bring it back to their flag room.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • According to Notch's Twitter (guy who made game) PC gamer is going to have some exclusive information on the game later this week, wonder what it could be?
  • Knowing our luck and PCGamer's propensity for over-statement it's probably going to be something simple, like an interview with him or a full breakdown of the changes in the Halloween update.
  • Damn it when you think the game cant throw you a hook he announces this: "Yes, you will eventually be able to link servers with portals. NOT SOON, though" Anyone see an interesting server to server network with portals spawning?
  • Damn it when you think the game cant throw you a hook he announces this: "Yes, you will eventually be able to link servers with portals. NOT SOON, though" Anyone see an interesting server to server network with portals spawning?
    Didn't Bioware do something similar with Neverwinter Nights? I recall fantasizing about a whole network of homebrew servers recreating Fareun in all it's glory. /lesigh
  • Tonight I'll be sand farming for glass. I think it might be dome time.
  • If you want a lot of sand, you might want to try using the torch method.
  • If you want a lot of sand, you might want to try using the torch method.
    Care to explain it?
  • When a block of sand or gravel falls on a torch, you can pick it up without needing to dig it. Consequently, in order to get large amounts of sand relatively quickly, go to the bottom of a large volume of it and replace the bottom blocks of sand columns with torches.
  • edited October 2010
    When a block of sand or gravel falls on a torch, you can pick it up without needing to dig it. Consequently, in order to get large amounts of sand relatively quickly, go to the bottom of a large volume of it and replace the bottom blocks of sand columns with torches.
    So the original blocks don't disappear and you can essentially get infinite sand? Damn, if I'd known that I wouldn't have cleared out half the beach in my starting area to make windows for my towers.

Tonight I'm going to make the trek over to the nearest lava floe that's on the surface of my world and try to set up a cobblestone/obsidian farm. Wish me luck!
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited October 2010
    The original blocks do disappear but the whole process should be close to instant.

You're better off digging for lava.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Can someone make a video of this glass technique?
  • edited October 2010
    Has anyone set up a forum server yet?

EDIT: That is still running? Or are most people just playing locally on their own machines?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No forum server yet. It's kinda a big commitment.

[Sand] --> [Sand] --> [Sand]
    [Rock] --> [Rock] --> -Empty-
    [Rock] --> [Torch] --> [Torch]

Sand column will then come flying down onto the torch and form a fat easy to pick up stack.

I love how most people seem to like finding ways to exploit the game's mechanics.
  • edited October 2010
    Can someone make a video of this glass technique?
    The technique they are talking about doesn't make glass, just collects sand really fast. To make glass, build an oven:

STONE STONE STONE
    STONE STONE STONE
    STONE STONE STONE

Then put coal under sand > glass cubes! Hooray!
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Honestly, with setup time included, it's not THAT much faster that shoveling.
  • That's a lot for 85 seconds. If you need the amounts shown, then digging it by hand is going to take time and will be pretty boring.
  • The original blocks do disappear but the whole process should be close to instant.
    You're better off digging for lava.
    Bummer on the sand thing - I was stoked about the possibility of building entire towers out of glass blocks. As for the lava, I've got two floes that are visible coming out the sides of hills that're within walking distance of my current settlement. I'll screenshot it before I start hacking away at anything. :)
    Can someone make a video of this glass technique?
    Then put coal under sand > glass cubes! Hooray!
    Actually, considering the potential scarcity of coal and the ability to get more wood from trees by just planting more you'd be better off breaking down wood into planks and feeding a stack of 64 planks into the forge.
  • considering the potential scarcity of coal
    What is up with people saying coal is scarce? I have so much fucking coal. I have even more red dust.
  • considering the potential scarcity of coal
    What is up with people saying coal is scarce? I have so much fucking coal. I have even more red dust.
    "Scarce" as in a limited, non-renewable resource in the game. Sure, you may have a crapload now but eventually you're going to want to start smelting and cooking stuff in your forges, which will slowly deplete your stockpiled coal sources - doubly so if you decide that you want to build structures out of Stone instead of Cobblestone. Once you use up that lump of coal, it's gone. The only way to get more is to keep expanding out your explored/mined area to get more. Lumber from the trees can be regenerated by breaking up the leaf blocks on the trees to generate saplings. Chop down the tree, bust up the leaves, get two or three saplings, plant them and move on to the next tree. Even if you don't bust up the leaf blocks they'll occasionally drop saplings. Wood is essentially an unlimited resource in the game.
  • "Scarce" as in a limited, non-renewable resource in the game. Sure, you may have a crapload now but eventually you're going to want to start smelting and cooking stuff in your forges, which will slowly deplete your stockpiled coal sources - doubly so if you decide that you want to build structures out of Stone instead of Cobblestone.
    So as I dig, I am very rarely finding iron or gold. For every iron or gold I find to smelt, I'm finding way more coal than is required to smelt it.

As for stone vs cobblestone, why would I even bother with one over the other?
  • As for stone vs cobblestone, why would I even bother with one over the other?
    Cobblestone has too much spoo for its spleem.
  • Gold is worthless. Store it in chests unsmelted and wait for updates. Stone has a higher resistance to damage, but not enough to warrant the drain on your resources. Cobblestone is pretty, and holds up to creepers pretty well, too.