This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• Hmm, well there is always the first best phone, the Apple iPhone by Apple Computers Incorporated.
    Except for syncing content through iTunes.
    I can't remember the last time I synced my content through iTunes on my iPhone.

• I can't remember the last time I synced my content through iTunes on my iPhone.
    Do photos, calendar changes, podcasts and music happen without connection now or do you still need to connect it?

I honestly don't know because that's the last I knew of it through my room mate from a few years ago.

It's strange 90% of the people around me who were using iPhones over the past few years have switched to Android so I don't know as much about the ecosystem as before.
  • edited August 2013
    I download videos on my computer and sync them to my phone and tablet regularly. As best I know, I would have to use itunes to sync that over. Same with my music.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited August 2013
    Do photos, calendar changes, podcasts and music happen without connection now or do you still need to connect it?
    It depends.

Calendar changes now sync via iCloud, so you don't need to connect to iTunes to do so.

Photos can also sync via iCloud, with the caveat that you only get 5GB free on there. If you have more than 5GB of photos (along with any other data you backup to iCloud) you need to sync with iTunes or buy more iCloud storage.

I use Downcaster for my podcasts, which can sync across iCloud (at least subscriptions if not the actual podcast files themselves) as well if you configure it to do so. I don't know what the default Podcast app does with respect to multi-device syncing, though, but it does download them without needing to use iTunes.

Music, videos, etc., well, it depends. If you purchased them via iTunes either on your phone or your computer, it syncs automatically from the cloud. If it's stuff you imported externally into iTunes, you still need to use iTunes to sync. The syncing can be done over WiFi, though, so you don't need to tether via USB at least.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • It's non iTunes content. I have no problem with plugging into my computer. I do have a serious problem with how iTunes handles content, however. It does not recognize that I delete videos and leaves the entry there. Things like that really annoy me. Zune has gotten this right since I started using it in 2008 or so. I don't understand why so many people let Apple get away with this terrible programming and keep recommending it as the default for mp3 players, tablets, and phones. I can just drop files into my Galaxy S4 like a flash drive(actually more like an mp3 player, but it's not a huge difference). I find this much preferable.
  • I didn't know iCloud was limited to 5gb.

I got a bonus 25gb on Dropbox for agreeing to backup photos to Dropbox and there is already the auto backup to Google Plus photos which is 16gb (I think).

I'm actually also enjoying the new Google Music app. It handles very intuitively as do the smart play lists from my library. I like how it uses on device memory and streaming or just on device. The simple thumbs up and thumbs down system has also helped me realise how to trim my current music library.
    It's non iTunes content. I have no problem with plugging into my computer. I do have a serious problem with how iTunes handles content, however. It does not recognize that I delete videos and leaves the entry there. Things like that really annoy me. Zune has gotten this right since I started using it in 2008 or so. I don't understand why so many people let Apple get away with this terrible programming and keep recommending it as the default for mp3 players, tablets, and phones. I can just drop files into my Galaxy S4 like a flash drive(actually more like an mp3 player, but it's not a huge difference). I find this much preferable.
    I do too but I guess people still weigh up what they find most beneficial against the negatives in each ecosystem.

I personally hate iTunes, I personally consider it bloatware when installed on Windows, I've heard it is much better on Apple branded computers though.

I haven't had a look at Zune yet but heard it is good from multiple sources.
  • edited August 2013
    Zune isn't perfect but it whips any other program to sync content. You wouldn't really see the benefit of it without using a Zune player or maybe a Windows phone though.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Where the fuck did mine go?
  • I didn't know iCloud was limited to 5gb.
    It is for free accounts, although content purchased on iTunes doesn't count against the 5GB limit. You can, of course, buy additional storage on iCloud.
    I personally hate iTunes, I personally consider it bloatware when installed on Windows, I've heard it is much better on Apple branded computers though.
    It is quite nice under OS X. However, I suspect why it's so bloated on Windows is that Apple insisted on porting a bunch of the OS X UI libraries and such to Windows instead of making it a more proper native Windows app. At least that's my non-conspiracy-theory side talking. The conspiracy-theory side of me says Apple did that on purpose to make Windows look bad in order to get people to buy Macs. My evil businessman side thinks in all likelihood it may have been a bit of both.

• ITunes on windows also constantly wants to upgrade. Very annoying.

Not only does it want me to upgrade but it also constantly harasses me to install safari.
  • ITunes on windows also constantly wants to upgrade. Very annoying.

Not only does it want me to upgrade but it also constantly harasses me to install safari.
    iTunes on Mac also constantly wants to upgrade, though at least it doesn't bug you to install Safari (but that's because it already comes with OS X anyway... :P).
  • The only time I ever plug my iPhone/ipad into my computer is when I want to put media I acquired and didn't purchase thru various apps. That's the only annoying thing with having to sit there and do app updates and installs. And that's maybe once every other month.

Other than that I have no problems. I would sync wirelessly, but I feel that it takes longer than plugging it in.
  • My only issue with iTunes is that it will prompt to upgrade when the program is not open. I don't really understand that design choice.
  • My only issue with iTunes is that it will prompt to upgrade when the program is not open. I don't really understand that design choice.
    It does the same on the Mac as well, so at least it's not a case of screwing only Windows users over.
  • I guess they're at least consistent in their annoyingness.
  • I guess they're at least consistent in their annoyingness.
    One difference on the Mac is that iTunes gets upgraded as part of the normal OS update process and not some external thing like on Windows. Still, it is slightly annoying when you see the system update notification pop up and it says you have an iTunes update available.
  • Some HTC designers are in custody for stealing trade secrets. That company seems to be having a rough time.
    This news was crazy, I thought it was a hoax when it initially popped up on my Blinkfeed and then found it was legit written by the Verge.

Private company espionage.
  • If HTC, Blackberry, Nokia, and Windows Phone merged, they could kick some ass.
    Well, we got two of them together, at least...
  • Due to service issues I dumped T-Mobile and went to at&t prepaid. $60 for unlimited talk, text and 2GB data.

While I did get faster data under T-Mobile (20mb vs 5mb) I should not have the problem of the service not working when it rains. Seriously, every time the weather turned to shit my data would either stop working all together or drop to 2G speeds.

It is double the $30 I was spending on their 5GB 4G plan but I never go above 2GB and have been doing more talking than the 100 min plan allowed.

• While I did get faster data under T-Mobile (20mb vs 5mb) I should not have the problem of the service not working when it rains. Seriously, every time the weather turned to shit my data would either stop working all together or drop to 2G speeds.
    I had a similar problem when I moved from an inner city house in Sydney to an outer suburb of Melbourne with an Australian telecommunications provider.

My hypothesis was because of the lack of towers near the house.

Do T-mobile and AT&T run on the same or different GSM frequencies?
  • edited September 2013
    Same enough.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Do T-mobile and AT&T run on the same or different GSM frequencies?
    Different. Same enough as far as the phone is concerned, but AT&T has the lower ferequency, more powerful area of the cell phone spectrum.
  • Anyone here use a white smartphone? I feel like getting something that isn't black this time.
  • Omnutia said:

Anyone here use a white smartphone? I feel like getting something that isn't black this time.

I want to get a white one so my phone wouldn't heat up so much while it's sitting in the sun in my car dock.
  • Omnutia said:

Anyone here use a white smartphone? I feel like getting something that isn't black this time.

My wife has the white iPhone 5. She's happy enough with it.

• Omnutia said:

I want to get a white one so my phone wouldn't heat up so much while it's sitting in the sun in my car dock.
    How hot does it get where you are?
    If it's over 40C for more than 2 or 3 hours using GPS the outer paint and coating will still loosen up and start chipping off. It may or may not accelerate the deterioration of the battery. That's what happened to my last phone anyway.

You also have to consider what temperatures the interior circuitry and battery are at. If the interior is hotter than ambient temperatures, it is better to have a black exterior (more efficent heat release).
  • Scott! A premium Android phone that isn't huge!

Some details from...
    Sony has decided that in the premium smartphone market, smaller can be more beautiful. Rather than competing with the ever-growing screens of rivals such as Samsung or LG, its new Z1 Compact phone has a 4.3in screen – far smaller than the 5in of the Samsung Galaxy S4 or 4.7in HTC One.

“With the Z1 Compact we have invented our own market segment: the premium compact Android smartphone,” Pierre Perron, head of Sony Mobile Europe
  • Awesome! Except I don't buy SONY things.