This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• I have a Nexus 4, same as you I believe. You want the GoPhone plan.
  • edited August 2013
    I thought GoPhone was $50 for talk and text and then $20 more for 2gb data if you have a smartphone?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • There's a couple GoPhone plans, and they've been changing them. But the only real smartphone one is the $60 one I have, every other one doesn't have anywhere near enough data. You can also opt for an additional GB of data for $10 more.
  • My Google Nexus 4 is a great phone with full worldwide GSM support (all frequencies) except:

1. No 4G
    2. It's fucking huge

I literally can't bend over if I wear tight jeans and have it in my pocket. I have to take it out of my pocket and then bend over.

Sticking with my Nexus S until it dies at this point and hoping against hope for a drawdown on phone sizes.
  • edited August 2013
    I see the new $60 plan. When you hit the data cap does data stop working? Also surprised to see a WiFi only no data smartphone plan.

Would be double what I pay T-Mobile with 2/5 as much data but unlimited minutes would help... Have to think on this one.

Nexus 4 works on T-Mobile 4g (get about 20mb speed) how is your speed on gophone?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • My Google Nexus 4 is a great phone with full worldwide GSM support (all frequencies) except:

1. No 4G
    2. It's fucking huge

I literally can't bend over if I wear tight jeans and have it in my pocket. I have to take it out of my pocket and then bend over.

Sticking with my Nexus S until it dies at this point and hoping against hope for a drawdown on phone sizes.
    Not gonna happen. Every indication is that all the cell phone companies, with the possible exception of Apple, want to go bigger. It's like cell phone size has become the new penis size. Nobody wants to be caught with a phone that's "only" 4 inches in size.
  • edited August 2013
    My Google Nexus 4 is a great phone with full worldwide GSM support (all frequencies) except:

1. No 4G
    2. It's fucking huge

Yeah, I have a Nexus 4 and I like it quite a bit. Fortunately the size doesn't really bother me, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I have a bumper on mine which makes it bigger too; I don't like it, but since I broke the front and back of it a couple of months ago I decided I needed it.

It's pretty stupid that small phones are getting marginalized; I don't quite get what the reasons why are, though. They're harder to make, but not that much harder, surely. If that means they have to sacrifice on hardware power, it's not like most people know anything about it anyway, right? Perhaps there just isn't enough demand for it?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2013
    I see the new $60 plan. When you hit the data cap does data stop working? Also surprised to see a WiFi only no data smartphone plan.

Would be double what I pay T-Mobile with 2/5 as much data but unlimited minutes would help... Have to think on this one.

Nexus 4 works on T-Mobile 4g (get about 20mb speed) how is your speed on gophone?
    I too had that T-mobile plan. I left because what good is a 5GB data limit when I'm on the Edge network. I average around 1GB of data a month, so a 2GB limit is perfectly serviceable for me. AT&T has much more ubiquitous 3G and HSPA+ (4G) coverage. The speed doesn't seem quite as snappy as a strong T-Mobile HSPA+, but on average my data speed is much better just because I now have HSPA in places I only had Edge before.
    My Google Nexus 4 is a great phone with full worldwide GSM support (all frequencies) except:

1. No 4G
    2. It's fucking huge

It is large, but not fucking huge. Stop being such a hipster with your tight jeans and vintage phone.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'm wearing even tighter jeans today. I'd be hard-pressed to walk with that phone in my pocket...
  • I'm wearing even tighter jeans today. I'd be hard-pressed to walk with that phone in my pocket...
    Then start a new movement and wear it around your neck all Flavor Flav style.

• edited August 2013
    This is what all the Android (so far) cell phone companies apparently think the people want:
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • The only one that I see going smaller is the Kyocera, granted their phones are not the best tech wise but they are doing keyboard phone and fully waterproof phones instead.
  • Based on what I see in the street, that is what people want.

I see more American tourists taking pictures with tablets than phones here.

Ugh, I really can't understand that at all. My tablet's cameras are used so my kid's grandparents can see him on video chat and, well, that's pretty much it. That (or equivalent use cases) is all they're good for and all they should be used for.
  • I find using an iPad for photography to be both tacky and annoying. Unless. You are a pro with a camera that looks like there could be a sniper rifle hiding inside you should use something small.

At first I was confused as to why so many people took photos with iPads, even if they could use a real camera, or even the much better camera in their cellphone. Now I've worked it out, after seeing literally hundred of iPad photographers all over the world.

It seems that people don't want good photo quality, they just want a big screen so they can most easily see where they are pointing the camera. It's that simple. The bigger the screen, the easier it is to see what will be captured. Small LCD's on the back of point-and-shoot camera are SHITE compared to an iPad screen. Even iPhones, while super bright and retina resolution, don't show the subjects as clearly.

Combine super easy viewing of the scene with super easy controls and, despite the quality of the final photo, the taking of the photos is the best photography experience most people can get.

Personally I'd love to be able to simply connect an iPad to my DSLR to preview, in real time, what the camera is looking at. It would be awesome. Now I have to use the LCD on the camera itself, and unless the camera is very close to my face, it's terrible. Purely because of the size. I wish Canon and Apple would put some screen sharing/control sharing tech in their cameras and ipads/iphones. I'd buy a new camera with that functionality in a second. And an ipad too, of course.
  • Except the whole having to operate the camera with one hand and hold a phone in the other. Not undoable but hardly ideal.
  • I don't know about tablet/phones, but there is PC software to do what you're describing, Luke.
  • I want my camera to show me its display in Google Glass.
  • edited August 2013
    Personally I'd love to be able to simply connect an iPad to my DSLR to preview, in real time, what the camera is looking at.
    Here you go. Don't know how well it works, and your camera may not be supported.

EDIT: Well crap: "Due to limitations in the Canon and Nikon Software Developer Kits, a computer is required to act as a bridge between your iPad and your DSLR."

Not that good then.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I don't know about tablet/phones, but there is PC software to do what you're describing, Luke.
    Well done missing my point! The "I don't know about tablet/phones" part of your reply means you should probably read my previous post again. Camera. iPad. A device for taking good photos combined with a large and portable screen.
  • Except the whole having to operate the camera with one hand and hold a phone in the other. Not undoable but hardly ideal.
    I lock my camera on a tripod very often. Then I get in the shot myself and either take photos or capture video.

As soon as I could buy a Canon DSLR with a flippable screen so I could see the live view from the front (the 60D) I did. It's good, but from more than a few meters its almost useless, and I'm still just guessing or hoping I've got it right. It normally takes a lot of attempts and walking back and forward to get it right.

If I could walk away and simply look at my phone, that would be a huge improvement. If I could then trigger the shutter or start/stop video recording from the phone too, instead of use the IR remote, that would be a hundred times more awesome.
  • Well done missing my point! The "I don't know about tablet/phones" part of your reply means you should probably read my previous post again. Camera. iPad. A device for taking good photos combined with a large and portable screen.
    Maybe it'll work on a windows tablet. I've never tried. Maybe it's close enough to your use case that a laptop would work. Maybe you've never heard of it, and it's better than nothing. Maybe I'll keep the advice to myself next time, because your reply was jerky.
  • edited August 2013
    I think this device can enable you to use your mobile or tablet device to control a Nikon or Canon DSLR but it is a few hundred dollars.

This seems to be a way to do it with Android. iOS does not seem to have anything like this yet but with how new it is maybe someone will come out with something soon.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Well done missing my point! The "I don't know about tablet/phones" part of your reply means you should probably read my previous post again. Camera. iPad. A device for taking good photos combined with a large and portable screen.
    Maybe it'll work on a windows tablet. I've never tried. Maybe it's close enough to your use case that a laptop would work. Maybe you've never heard of it, and it's better than nothing. Maybe I'll keep the advice to myself next time, because your reply was jerky.
    Sorry about sounding jerky. It's just that I'm trying to make a point as clearly as possible:

1. People take photos with iPads because an iPad has a large screen and is really easy to hold and point. But the camera is shitty.

2. I also want a large screen that that is really easy to hold and point. And I want a non-shitty camera along with it.

I'm not asking for recommendations or advice. I'm trying to show why people take photos with iPads because, after taking some photos with an iPad myself, I want to take photos with something as big and stupid-looking as an iPad, and I'm a pretty serious photographer!
  • Luke, the feature you are looking for exists. Many cameras these days have built-in wifi and apps that let you control them from Android/iOS. The thing is that the Nikon/Canon DLSRs do not have this functionality AFAIK (yet). Lower end cameras have it. The newer Panasonic Lumix Micro 4/3 cameras all have it. It's a way to compete since their image quality is obviously a bit less than the DSLRs. GoPro also has it. I'm sure others do as well, I'm just not familiar with them.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/panasonic-lumix-link/id456228089?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/panasonic-image-app/id590212732?mt=8

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-app/
  • "I'm not asking for recommendations or advice. I'm trying to show why people take photos with iPads." - me, in my last post.
  • "I'm not asking for recommendations or advice. I'm trying to show why people take photos with iPads." - me, in my last post.
    Taking a photo with the iPad is different than using the iPad to take a photo with another camera. Looking at a big screen and tapping it to take a photo makes perfect sense. Holding a giant rectangle up in the sky is the dumbest of dumb.