This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• "I'm not asking for recommendations or advice. I'm trying to show why people take photos with iPads." - me, in my last post.
    Taking a photo with the iPad is different than using the iPad to take a photo with another camera. Looking at a big screen and tapping it to take a photo makes perfect sense. Holding a giant rectangle up in the sky is the dumbest of dumb.
    Why is it dumb? If it had a camera as good as a DSLR, or even the latest iPhone, would it still be dumb? Is it purely because the iPad doesn't look like a camera? A phone doesn't look like a camera, and people still hold them up to take photos. Glass doesn't look like a camera, and you use it for a camera, right? Is that dumb too?
  • It's because it is large, cumbersome, and unwieldy to aim.

What if the iPad had a ballpoint pen coming out the side of it? Yeah, it would write just as well as any other pen, but it's extremely cumbersome to try to write with a giant rectangle.
  • You are totally wrong. The iPad is very easy to hold and very easy to point, far easier than a phone. Large is not a negative for most users of cameras, and too-small and too-light cameras are actually harder to control and hold steady. If you want a smoother handling of a camera, one solution is to add weight. The large size of an iPad compared to a phone means there is far less chance of someone covering the lens with a finger while holding it too.
  • Lift Your Giant Rectangles Like Antennas To Heaven
  • I have a secondary theory.

I've noticed that most of the people I see in New York doing this have a non-smartphone on them. Their regular phone can't take good pictures (and they probably can't get the pictures off even if it does).

I think they have a dumbphone and tablet, and nothing in between.
  • I have a secondary theory.

I've noticed that most of the people I see in New York doing this have a non-smartphone on them. Their regular phone can't take good pictures (and they probably can't get the pictures off even if it does).

I think they have a dumbphone and tablet, and nothing in between.
    Or are visiting from another country and don't have data for their smartphone so they turned it off cause they don't know how airplane mode works.
  • Or are visiting from another country and don't have data for their smartphone so they turned it off cause they don't know how airplane mode works.
    As in they think airplane mode turns off everything?
  • Or are visiting from another country and don't have data for their smartphone so they turned it off cause they don't know how airplane mode works.
    As in they think airplane mode turns off everything?
    Yes, as their phone is smart, but they are quite dumb.
  • edited August 2013
    So I got my new phone (HTC One, I couldn't wait for the Mini because my current phone can only function as a phone for half a day now).

There seem to be a lot of new screen protectors out like tempered glass shields and others with wet applications which are supposed to be just as hard.

Are they all basically the same, should I just grab another PET screen shield or look into these supposedly sturdier options?

I prefer rocking a phone naked but my last phone had a soft matte grippy back compared to the brushed aluminium back on this one - do I need a case or a pouch or neither?

There seems to be a lot of disinformation and advertising on the subject.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • HTC may be facing an acquisition soon.
    If HTC, Blackberry, Nokia, and Windows Phone merged, they could kick some ass.
  • It's unfortunate that they muddled the market the way they did, I always thought they made quality devices and they weren't scared to try new things.

Currently every time I get a new phone I'm always eyeing the new Nokia Windows Phones.
  • edited August 2013
    HTC may be facing an acquisition soon.
    If HTC, Blackberry, Nokia, and Windows Phone merged, they could kick some ass.
    Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited August 2013
    I wouldn't consider HTC a turkey especially if you've seen recent handsets like the HTC One which has better industrial design than Samsung and Apple phones. They just make silly decisions - either making too many confusing iterations or too few.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • The nexus 4 LTE trick-yea or nay?
  • The nexus 4 LTE trick-yea or nay?
    I've heard mixed things. I should look into it more more since I have AT&T now.
  • Conrad is doing it now. I'll follow his progress closely.
  • edited August 2013
    I'm going to be buying a new phone in November. I'm currently on a Verizon family plan and don't really intend to switch because of coverage and pricing. However, this means no Nexus because it has the wrong antennas. Is there a decent second-best phone?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited August 2013
    Galaxy S4 is best big screen phone, probably. But you could get a Motorola Razr M if you want a phone that Rym and Scott won't make fun of for being too large. My parents have them and I think they're nice, but the hardware specs are not impressive.
    Conrad is doing it now. I'll follow his progress closely.
    *checks twitter
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Hmm, well there is always the first best phone, the Apple iPhone by Apple Computers Incorporated.
  • Hmm, well there is always the first best phone, the Apple iPhone by Apple Computers Incorporated.
    Also a solid option.
  • Actually, with the exception of iPhones, all the non-huge phones on the market right now have lousy hardware specs.
  • Actually, with the exception of iPhones, all the non-huge phones on the market right now have lousy hardware specs.
  • Conrad is doing it now. I'll follow his progress closely.
    I won't lie, I read this and immediately got stuck in a giggle loop.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that differentiates me from a child is size and ability to buy alcohol.
  • Galaxy S4 is best big screen phone, probably.
    If you want a massive amount of bloatware and is only usable if you get the Google play version.

Otherwise if you want something that won't leave you with buyer's remorse in a few weeks go for the HTC One for android.

The Motorola MotoX will be on Verizon on the 29th and is worth a look for the price and features.

If you're an Apple inclined I think the next iPhone is due for launch in November but that might be too far away. Apparenlty iOS 7 beta breaks a few popular apps but if you're in that ecosystem go for it.
  • edited August 2013
    Galaxy S4 is best big screen phone, probably.
    If you want a massive amount of bloatware and is only usable if you get the Google play version.
    CyanogenMod FTW
    Post edited by Pegu on
    CyanogenMod FTW
    Yeah that's what my brother's running his on now but was unsure if everyone was rooting their S4's.
    Except for syncing content through iTunes.
    CyanogenMod FTW
    My thoughts as well. The HTC One is nice too and the MotoX. I'd probably recommend the motoX, since I think it has a more power efficient screen. My N4 screen sucks the juice up fast.