This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• So there is finally something final in regards to insurance through Verizon and the iPhone.
    Every iPhone 4 comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. The AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone 4 extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone 4. Whether you use your iPhone 4 with a Mac or a PC, just one phone call can help resolve most issues. Because Apple designs the iPhone 4, iOS, and many applications, the iPhone 4 is a truly integrated system. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides one-stop service and support from Apple experts whether you use a Mac or a PC, so most issues can be resolved in a single call.

* Direct access to Apple experts
    * Mail-in or carry-in repairs
    * Use with a Mac or PC
    * The AppleCare Protection Plan provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.

What’s covered:

* Your iPhone 4
    * Battery
    * Included earphones and accessories

With the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone 4, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues with your iPhone 4, Apple-branded iPhone 4 applications, and interconnectivity between your iPhone 4 and your Mac or PC.

* iPhone 4 support
    * Using iOS
    * Questions about Apple-branded iPhone 4 applications such as Mail, Safari, Calendar, Remote, and iTunes
    * Connecting to wireless networks
    All this for $70. Not bad. Any personal recommendations for those with smartphones on whether or not it's worth it. Or for those with iPhones, is it worth it? I will more than likely get it, but I wouldn't mind some advice.
  • I got my Nexus S phone and it is mighty nice, the voice feature s a godsend for those who can not type quickly, need to use it some more before the final decision. However if you want the state of the art phone look into The Atrix. Its a dual core droid, however its only on AT&T at the moment which will lead it to have it poor sales in my prediction.
  • Pardon me for asking what is probably a foolish question, but what's a good place to research cell phones? I'll be upgrading in August and I'd like to start doing some looking now, if I can.
  • Pardon me for asking what is probably a foolish question, but what's a good place to research cell phones? I'll be upgrading in August and I'd like to start doing some looking now, if I can.
    http://mobile.engadget.com/
  • I hacked my Droid Incredible and installed CyanogenMod. I now basically have a Nexus One on Verizon. The reception meter has some idiosyncrasies, but otherwise everything is good. The extra RAM and much improved touch screen are great, I see myself keeping this phone for a long time.
  • I hacked my Droid Incredible and installed CyanogenMod.
    How long did it take you/what did it get you? I've had an Incredible for a while but I haven't really put the time into any sort of hackery.
  • How long did it take you/what did it get you?
    It took me very little time, maybe half an hour. Most of the time was spent figuring out how to setup my phone to interface with the rooting program on my computer. Actually rooting it took about a minute.

As for what it got me, nothing. I just don't like HTC's Sense UI. I very much prefer the vanilla android interface, which is what CyanogenMod is for the most part.
  • edited September 2011
    I've been messing around with a rooted Android phone for a while but now the mother is interested in jailbreaking her Ipod touch so she can use a KVM program on it.

What's the Ipod/Iphone like in terms of ease modding and stability?

Also @GP: Give Launcher Pro a try, it's a super fast home screen replacement.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I don't think there's much risk in bricking an iOS device. You can jailbreak & unlock it then always do a complete restore if you want to go back.
  • Also @GP: Give Launcher Pro a try, it's a super fast home screen replacement.
    Been using Launcher Pro for about a year, it's good stuff. ^_^
  • I am updating to the new OS. Anyone have any thoughts? I am going to use it for a few days before I make a decision on how I like it.
  • I am updating to the new OS. Anyone have any thoughts? I am going to use it for a few days before I make a decision on how I like it.
    Yeah, it's alright. Adds some nice new features, like the notification center and the camera-from-the-lockscreen, it's a bit faster than before, and you now have read-it-later functionality built into safari. You can customize message tones now too, or should I say, fucking finally. Otherwise, much the same.
  • You can customize message tones now too, or should I say, fucking finally
    OMG. I did not know that! SQUEE! The return of the Azumanga eye catcher text tone!

I do like the Reminders app as well as the finally got rid of the Comic Sans font for Notepad.

I was beyond annoyed with that you can't next the Newsstand icon into a folder because it's considered a folder, however with some trickery you can.
    OMG.
    I know what I'm doing tonight.
  • I now have Navi as my text tone.
  • The new iOS5 is awesome. The "volume up" for camera shutter and the camera shortcut on the lock screen has doubled the number of photos I've taken in the last three days. The wireless synching is great too. Not only does it synch wirelessly, but when you do synch it does it in the background, so if you are listening to a podcast it doesn't pause, then wait to synch, and then you have to go through the music library to select and start it again. The messages and notifications are way better too. My girlfriend and I would use the facebook or skype app to chat before, and now we just use imessage, or whatever it is called. iCloud is good too, as that synchs with iCal and other apps on my macbook. I've not used it otherwise, but I'm sure it'll work okay.

I don't have much else to say about it. My contract is up, and I'll be getting a new iPhone 4s soon,so I'm sure I'll see even more features and improvements then, like a camera worth using for more than "hey hey!" shots and Siri.
  • The new iOS5 is awesome. The "volume up" for camera shutter and the camera shortcut on the lock screen has doubled the number of photos I've taken in the last three days. The wireless synching is great too. Not only does it synch wirelessly, but when you do synch it does it in the background, so if you are listening to a podcast it doesn't pause, then wait to synch, and then you have to go through the music library to select and start it again. The messages and notifications are way better too. My girlfriend and I would use the facebook or skype app to chat before, and now we just use imessage, or whatever it is called. iCloud is good too, as that synchs with iCal and other apps on my macbook. I've not used it otherwise, but I'm sure it'll work okay.

I don't have much else to say about it. My contract is up, and I'll be getting a new iPhone 4s soon,so I'm sure I'll see even more features and improvements then, like a camera worth using for more than "hey hey!" shots and Siri.
    Is the "volume up" and camera chortcut on the lcok screen automatically turned on or do you need to set them in the settings?
  • edited October 2011
    Is the "volume up" and camera chortcut on the lcok screen automatically turned on or do you need to set them in the settings?
    Press the home button twice and it will give a shortcut to camera mode as well as "play", "rewind", "fast forward" to any song you were listening to.

I also noticed that if you shake your iPhone while listening to music it will go to the next track.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Is the "volume up" and camera chortcut on the lcok screen automatically turned on or do you need to set them in the settings?
    Press the home button twice and it will give a shortcut to camera mode as well as "play", "rewind", "fast forward" to any song you were listening to.

I also noticed that if you shake your iPhone while listening to music it will go to the next track.
    Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. Now if only that would work with the Camera+ app I bought a while ago. Oh well...
    OMG. I did not know that! SQUEE! The return of the Azumanga eye catcher text tone!
    You should check out the customizeable vibration patterns as well. As somebody who NEVER has their phone off of silent, I immediately went and set these up. You have to go into the accessibility settings because I assume they only intend deaf people to use this, but it's awesome. They have a few pre-set ones but you can tap out your own few seconds of vibration and tie it to whatever sort of notification you want.
  • Man, the last phone I was able to get was an HTC Hero. It sux. It is so slow, and I've researched and researched ways to speed it up, but I think it's just that it's a crappy phone. I won't be eligible for a new one until April, when, hopefully, I'll finally get an iPhone.
  • I'm still on an iPhone 3G and will be until next June. I has a sad.
  • You should check out the customizeable vibration patterns as well. As somebody who NEVER has their phone off of silent, I immediately went and set these up. You have to go into the accessibility settings because I assume they only intend deaf people to use this, but it's awesome. They have a few pre-set ones but you can tap out your own few seconds of vibration and tie it to whatever sort of notification you want.
    I read about this yesterday when I was checking out all the other iOS 5 upgrades. That's a very cool feature.

I like the different fonts you can choose on Notepad. I really need to mess around with the Reminder app. I will definitely be using that app for several things
  • Not being able to delete or hide Newstand pisses me.
  • Not being able to delete or hide Newstand pisses me.
    You can hide it in the folder. You just have to be tricky.

Go to any of these links and it will show you how.

All you have to do is create a new folder and quickly put the Newsstand icon in there. You won't be able to access Newsstand anymore for it will restart your phone, but that's ok. It took me a while to do it, but I got it done.
  • Oh my god, Beethoven's 5th as a vibration setting. Amazing.
  • Question: Is there anyway to add vibration when I type on the iPhone? My friend's Droid does this and I really like the tactile feedback. Especially when I type on silent mode, it just feels too... floaty... and adding some vibration would be great. I saw that if you jailbreak your phone there is an app for this, but couldn't find anything standard.
  • Question: Is there anyway to add vibration when I type on the iPhone?
    I don't think so other than the "clicking" noise.

I also like the shortcuts feature as well for typing.
  • Am I the only person that keeps my home screen on the iphone in its default arrangement? It has that factory fresh feeling. Page 2 is all the apps I used the most frequently aside from games, which are on Page 3. Page 4 and on is all crap.
  • Am I the only person that keeps my home screen on the iphone in its default arrangement? It has that factory fresh feeling. Page 2 is all the apps I used the most frequently aside from games, which are on Page 3. Page 4 and on is all crap.
    I have everything crammed into folders.