This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• Even with all the news still thinking about an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. However do not be suprised if Motorola and Samsung delay the release by sueing them for not paying the patent license since the beginning.
  • iPhone 4 can be obtained for free with plan renewal now.
  • iPhone 4 can be obtained for free with plan renewal now.
    Damn. We just paid $49 for a refurb with a renewal not long ago.
  • I'm thinking of getting the new iPhone, since I can sell my current one for pretty much the same price that the new one costs (with contract). After having used LTE on an iPad, I'm really looking forward to it on a phone.
  • edited September 2012
    So my father broke his iPhone 4 last month, he shattered the screen. He upgraded to a 4s. I bought a replacement screen and put it on. It works like a dream. I really enjoyed fixing it. It was alot of fun. But the camera is broken. I had to take it apart and put back together about 3 times to get the back to fit back on. If anything is off by a millimeter the back won't fit. I don't know if I broke the camera or it broke when the screen broke. I am going to just get a new one (maybe even a 5 or 4s in a couple months) and keep this one as a spare.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • If there were actual features, I'd consider the 5, but it seems like more of a hardware upgrade, and it's not like when I upgraded from the 3G to the 4 where my 3G was lagging too much to be usable. My 4 still performs just fine.
  • But it's so pretty! ; _ ;

Overall, I don't really need the iPhone 5, but getting faster speeds would be nice. I haven't even had my iPhone 4 for 2 years.

Plus that camera would be a big upgrade since I mainly take pictures with my phone.
  • I really want 4G since I'm essentially paying for it but my current phone doesn't support it.
  • edited September 2012
    So yeah, Verizon is pushing me more towards wanting to switch to Sprint come February when my contract ends.

I try to pre-order the iPhone 5 through their website and go through the normal rigmarole of signing in and selecting the phone I want. I'm not eligible for any upgrades, but I wasn't planning on getting the phone at the subsidized price. I then select to keep my existing minutes plan and go onto the next screen for the data plans.

What do I see on the next screen? Oh, no option to keep my grandfathered Unlimited Data plan. I can't continue on without selecting a tiered data plan, that will take me out of my no longer offered Unlimited plan. What kind of horse shit is this?

Even Gizmodo criticizes them for "having opaque online tools for carrying over grandfathered plans".

At least on the Apple website you can actually purchase the phone outright and sign into your Verizon account and keep your Unlimited Data plan, as this man has stated. I tried it earlier and everything went through just fine before I exited out of actually purchasing it.

Here is the screen shot of Verizon not offering my Unlimited Plan:

Overall, this makes me angry and annoyed as a long time loyal customer. It's crap like this that makes me highly consider switching providers. I was honestly thinking of waiting until October 7th when I can upgrade my phone and buy the 5 at a subsidized price and just go with a tiered plan, but now I am tempted to just buy it outright and go crazy with the 4G LTE connection and use it all the time and be considered a "power user".

I called customer care and voiced my concern and basically called them out on this bullshit. They said they will escalate this to their IT dept.

Seriously, Verizon. Fuck you.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I've always hated Verizon. Welcome to my party.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm not even considered a power user on by their 3G standards. Some months I barely go over 1gb. Recently in August I did barely go over 3gb, but I just want that option to have Unlimited.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • And they don't want you to have that option.
  • Currently have AT&T, don't think I want to stay because in order to get tethering the plan is ludicrously expensive.

I would switch to Sprint, who has the best plan by far, but they don't actually have LTE yet.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/10/3307662/sprint-lte-network-rollout-100-cities

Meanwhile, remember that spectrum auction where Verizon won, but Google jacked up the price? The FCC has forced Verizon to enable tethering on all LTE for free. I checked my AT&T data, and even in the busiest month (last month) I didn't even make it to 1G. I think I'm going to use it more if it's LTE, though, so I'm going to get a 2GB Verizon plan. If I need more, I can upgrade it to 4 gigs. If Sprint has their act together in two years, I can switch back.

Also, don't think I'm going to do Google Voice. I hardly get or make phone calls, so it's a very small benefit for the trouble.
  • The only city in California is LA? Fuck LA.

• I've hated Verizon ever since they acquired Bell Atlantic.

Do you know that Bell Atlantic used to switch you to whichever of their rate plans would cost you the least based on your usage for the current month, before billing you? Sure, you were "roaming" in the next town over, but that's service, man.

Verizon was uniformly horrible to deal with and ironically, my best and most pleasant customer service experience of all time with them was when I called to cancel.
  • I've never had any real issues with Verizon except for this recent BS. I rarely call customer care and when I do, they treat me with respect.

I've called twice and they said they are contacting corporate to make sure their website gets fixed to show unlimited for customers who currently have it and want to grandfather it over.

They also offer free next day delivery on the iPhone 5 while the Apple site offers 2 week delivery. I could go to the Apple store next week, but that means I have to wait in line. I've also never been in an Apple store for more than 2 minutes. It just seems so weird and fake.
  • Everyone likes to complain about this carrier or that carrier. THEY ALL SUCK BALLS.

Who do you want to get your iPhone from? Satan, Lucifer, or Bealzebub?
  • I bounce to WiFi so much that since getting a smartphone in late July I have not used more than 250 MB period.

I dislike Verizon's move to virtually hijack customers into buying overpriced, ill-fitted data plans -- but Lisa won't switch because she's convinced Verizon mobile-to-mobile minutes are worth it, since literally everyone we would ever talk to is also with Verizon.
  • Everyone likes to complain about this carrier or that carrier. THEY ALL SUCK BALLS.

NUH-UH THE INVISIBLE HAND.
  • edited September 2012
    Sooo. iPhone 5...

I don't know why everyone is surprised Apple changed the connector for the new phone. They do that periodically as their technology or design requirements change. It's not like your old connector cables won't work for your old devices anymore... just don't buy the new phone if you don't like that you might need an adapter.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I'm not surprised either. However, it would have been nice if Apple offered the phone with the adapter from 30 pin to Lightning for free, instead of charging $30 separately.

Fuck that, the Illuminati's contract renewal bonuses suck arse.

NUH-UH COLLUSION

NUH-UH COLLUSION
    NUH-UH COMPANIES JUST WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR CUSTOMERS.

NUH-UH COLLUSION
    NUH-UH COMPANIES JUST WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR CUSTOMERS.

%s/CUSTOMERS/shareholders/g
  • Verizon may suck if you have to call their service line and they do charge more, but their service makes up for it, at least in the NJ/NY area.

The only thing I hate more than getting a call from someone with crappy service, is the fact that people with crappy service have convinced themselves that it's fine.
  • I switched over to straight talk. You can use almost any unlocked GSM phone unlimited for $45 a month. You either ride att or T-Mobile . My main problem with sprint and Verizon is that you cannot reuse their phones elsewhere.

Att has a fucked up prepaid service that charges $50 a month for everything except they make smartphone users buy an extra data package.
  • The interesting thing with changing the dock connector is that its technically a big downgrade for everything other than form factor. A 30 pin cable that can send both analog and digital signals is insanely sick. An 8 pin cable that sends only digital signals is merely fairly sick.

Tho there werent many popular peripherals that really took advantage of everything the 30 pin could do, and doing everything digital makes sense these days anyhow. Also the adapter has a DAC in it too so yeah the new shits still great. I just love pins
  • I just love pins
    You and Abigail Adams.

• Pins For The Wins