This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• Am I the only person that keeps my home screen on the iphone in its default arrangement? It has that factory fresh feeling. Page 2 is all the apps I used the most frequently aside from games, which are on Page 3. Page 4 and on is all crap.
    I have a mix on mine. Most of the stuff on my home screen is default stuff, but that's cause I end up using it fairly often. Other favorite apps I like to keep handy are also there with all the stuff I don't use as frequently crammed into folders on other screens.
  • Page 1 is my most used apps. Page 2 is folders for rarely used things and a handful of games. There is no Page 3.
  • edited October 2011
    Page 1 is my most used apps. Page 2 is folders for rarely used things and a handful of games.
    Mine's pretty similar. Page 1 is super important stuff. Page 2 has work-related, dev-related, banking/photo/food/reddit stuff, and Settings. Page 3 is all folders (apps like Beluga that I use twice a year, wikipedia, etc). Oh, and most of the "default apps" are in one folder on the very bottom of the 3rd page.

The 4S's camera is actually really good. Siri is alright.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I have the minimum amount of verizon minutes, 450. I have never once come close to using that. With all the free minutes I get for various conditions (nights and weekends, mobile to mobile, etc) I hardly use any miunutes with what little talking I do.
    I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but when I complained about my plan about a year ago, Verizon offered me an unadvertised 300 minute plan. I don't know if it's still available though. Try calling up and complaining about your bill being high and not using all your voice minutes.
  • I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but when I complained about my plan about a year ago, Verizon offered me an unadvertised 300 minute plan. I don't know if it's still available though. Try calling up and complaining about your bill being high and not using all your voice minutes.
    What's the price of it? I may just do that.
  • Today I renewed my contract with T-Mobile (in Germany, so I think that makes more sense than in the USA). I pay the same money for less minutes but unlimited 3G internet. Two years ago unlimited internet cost €90 per month but now €30. Sweet. I swapped my home internet and phone provider too, and that gives me three free months of internet, plus €5 off my mobile contract. Over the two year contracts I'll save about €120.

I ordered a new iPhone 4s too, and it will arrive in the mail next week (I hope), so now I can sell my iPhone 3Gs, and for an unlocked phone I can get a few hundred. If I've done my maths right, I'll come out of this whole deal about even.

And I got better insurance too, as I had to pay for a new phone back in February after breaking my original iPhone.
  • I've been adding more custom text tones for various notifications, i.e., tweets, email, and calendar events. However, I've noticed that you can't have custom text tones for apps like Facebook or G+. That's a bit frustrating.

If I'm wrong, someone please educate me.

As for custom text tones, I've been using various video games tones from Mario, Animal Crossing, and the like.
  • The Galaxy Nexus will be coming to Verizon "later this year." I CAN FINALLY HAZ NEXUS!!!!!
  • The Galaxy Nexus will be coming to Verizon "later this year." I CAN FINALLY HAZ NEXUS!!!!!
    It will be worth the wait. I still have my original Droid with the cracked screen. I hear the camera is amazing.
  • edited October 2011
    It will be worth the wait. I still have my original Droid with the cracked screen. I hear the camera is amazing.
    Well I had the original "Nexus" in the form of the first Motorola Droid. I got my HTC Droid Incredible a year later and I nexus-ified it by rooting it and putting Cyanogenmod on it. To get a phone that I won't have to root and I'll just be given the latest version of android would be awesome.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2011
    I've been adding more custom text tones for various notifications, i.e., tweets, email, and calendar events. However, I've noticed that you can't have custom text tones for apps like Facebook or G+. That's a bit frustrating.
    I've actually tweaked mine for silent mode - I've got custom vibrations for the people who call me most often, so I can tell who is calling when my phone is in my pocket.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I need a new phone. These are my options. What is the best option here?
  • I'm guessing everyone who likes iOS will say the iPhone 4S 16GB and everyone who likes Android will say the Samsung Galaxy S2. Do you like iOS or Android better?
  • I'm guessing everyone who likes iOS will say the iPhone 4S 16GB and everyone who likes Android will say the Samsung Galaxy S2. Do you like iOS or Android better?
    To be honest, I've no strong preference one way or the other. They both do what they set out to do competently and most of the time, they're pleasant to use.
  • A few other questions to ask yourself are what sort of apps do you want access to, how much are you willing to spend, and what do you specifically want to do with a smart phone?
  • everyone who likes Android will say the Samsung Galaxy S2
    If it's available on your carrier, get the Galaxy Nexus instead. The Google Experience phones are the way to go, if you have a choice.
  • everyone who likes Android will say the Samsung Galaxy S2
    If it's available on your carrier, get the Galaxy Nexus instead. The Google Experience phones are the way to go, if you have a choice.
    So was that available on his carrier? I'm pretty sure he posted a list.
  • No, it looks like it isn't, but I was mostly speaking generally.
  • I guess the question for myself right now, should I say goodbye to my Unlimited Data Plan buy getting the 64gb at the subsidized price and possibly get away with 2gb/month? Or just shell out the moniez?

I currently have the 16 gb. Perhaps I just need the 32gb for my musics and just stream all the things on Spotify.
  • I guess the question for myself right now, should I say goodbye to my Unlimited Data Plan buy getting the 64gb at the subsidized price and possibly get away with 2gb/month? Or just shell out the moniez?

I currently have the 16 gb. Perhaps I just need the 32gb for my musics and just stream all the things on Spotify.
    My data is not unlimited. This month I used more data than ever before with PAX Dev, PAX, and Djangocon. I still have 3/4 gigs remaining of data. I have a 32GB, and am not sure if I should get another 32GB or 64GB. I'm leaning towards 64, because I think there will be a lot more photos and videos happening.

The real question for me is carrier. My plan is to get a new phone with a new number. Then I'm going to port my current # to Google Voice. Sprint has the best deal in terms of unlimited everything for a better price. However, they aren't going to have LTE until next yearish. Verizon is definitely the king of IDE, but is very expensive. AT&T has less LTE than Verizon, but has SIM cards, and might be better for international travel.
  • edited September 2012
    I average on the low end 1gb/month to 4gb/month. When I first got my phone I was going crazy at almost 6gb.

I currently am ok with Verizon because of my discounts. I like my number, I don't want to get rid of it.

I may try out the Google Voice thing, but I really don't think I need it.

So a guess for the retail price for the 64gb is probably $700. Ugh.

Also, it would be nice if the iPhone 5 came with an adaptor came with it for Lightning to 30 pin. Doubt it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I average on the low end 1gb/month to 4gb/month. When I first got my phone I was going crazy at almost 6gb.

I currently am ok with Verizon because of my discounts. I like my number, I don't want to get rid of it.

I may try out the Google Voice thing, but I really don't think I need it.

So a guess for the retail price for the 64gb is probably $700. Ugh.

Also, it would be nice if the iPhone 5 came with an adaptor came with it for Lightning to 30 pin. Doubt it.
    I think I'm going to get the 2GB Verizon plan. Might change my mind later. Also might even change my mind about Google Voice and just port my number.
  • I like the new iPod Nano. I don't need one though. But.... damn...
  • edited September 2012
    I'm currently telling everyone to stop using my Verizon number and switch to my Google voice number so I can do away with a text plan. The only problem with GV is it doesn't send texts very well when your data connection is poor.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • iPhone to iPhone txt = iMessage, no issues.
    Hmm, wonder how Google Voice goes with iMessage...
    This. The vast majority of people I usually text have iPhones, so I use iMessage. I don't even bother with having a text plan at all since I text other people so infrequently.
  • The person I text the most is Jeremy and he has a stupid HTC Thunderbolt. I wonder if I can give him my old iPhone 4 so then we can just iMessage eachother. Save the monies!
  • I will be getting an iPhone 5 and giving my iPhone 4 to my girlfriend. iMessage is going to be a huge win.
  • No price yet for the 64gb without renewing my contract, however the iPhone 4S 64gb is $850 retail. Ugh. It will probably be the same price.

Well if anything, I still have my Apple Care protection plan that I purchased for my iPhone 4 that I never activated and will use towards my iPhone 5.