This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Apparently Sprint does have LTE in 19 markets, and is adding more. AT&T does have overall faster service, and Verizon has the most service.

http://mgalligan.com/post/31528271799/att-sprint-verizon-iphone-5-comparison-chart

Also, I have discovered that none of the carriers will ship a pre-ordered phone to an address other than the billing address. If I can't have the phone shipped to my work, and billed to my house, I can't pre-order. When the iPhone 4 shipped I had to pick it up in Maspeth, and it was awful. There's also no way I'm going to fucking wait in line.

So here is my new strategy. After the lines are no longer crazy I'm going to walk into a Sprint store and test the iPhone 5 to see if the LTE works. If it does, I'll probably get it there. If not, I'll just walk into a Verizon store. This will probably be a couple weeks after launch, but if you pre-order you'll have to wait two weeks for shipping anyway.

EDIT: Checked Sprint's coverage map. They have jack and shit for LTE in NYC so a Sprint iPhone 5 is really not much different than an iPhone 4. 4G is really the one huge feature upgrade here. Looks like will be choosing the evil of Verizon this time because all their plans have free tethering and AT&T tethering costs 3 appendages.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I still use Virgin Moble and outside of an issue (which they fixed) in Baltimore it is ok.
  • I still use Virgin Moble and outside of an issue (which they fixed) in Baltimore it is ok.
    Virgin mobile was originally an MVNO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator

The carriers made sure that MVNOs had a really hard time, and there are almost none left. Virgin Mobile is now basically just Sprint. Baltimore happens to be the best city for Sprint. IIRC it is the first place they added Wi-Max.
  • Yeah. It seems the pre-orders are going through the roof and shipping is so delayed. It makes senses to wait.

Since my upgrade is in effect on October 7, I'll wait until then to make a decision. I am tempted to save money and get rid of my Unlimited Data plan, but part of me is afraid to.
  • Yeah. It seems the pre-orders are going through the roof and shipping is so delayed. It makes senses to wait.

Since my upgrade is in effect on October 7, I'll wait until then to make a decision. I am tempted to save money and get rid of my Unlimited Data plan, but part of me is afraid to.
    Login to your account and see how much data you actually use. Most of my months I only use a few hundred megabytes. At most I almost hit a gig, and that was this last month with pax dev, pax, and djangocon with lots of tethering. Worst case with verizon if I go over 2 GB, I pay $10 for that month to make it a 4GB month. That's a lot cheaper than paying for 4GB every month.
  • iPhone or Android?
  • Last month I used 3GB. In July, I used 1GB. It honestly depends on whether or not I'm streaming stuff when I'm not at home like Spotify, Netflix, or Hulu.

Well with Verizon now, it's $30 for 2GB then $10 for an additional 1 GB if you go over. The next plan up is 5GB for $50/month. At least, that's what the website shows me on my account if I were to switch.

So, it is possible to switch and get the subsidized price and monitor my activity, but I just don't like the idea of no longer having the unlimited. :(
  • Last month I used 3GB. In July, I used 1GB. It honestly depends on whether or not I'm streaming stuff when I'm not at home like Spotify, Netflix, or Hulu.

Well with Verizon now, it's $30 for 2GB then $10 for an additional 1 GB if you go over. The next plan up is 5GB for $50/month. At least, that's what the website shows me on my account if I were to switch.

So, it is possible to switch and get the subsidized price and monitor my activity, but I just don't like the idea of no longer having the unlimited. :(
    If you want unlimited, get Sprint. Otherwise

• Good thing I rarely use my phone for streaming video.
  • edited September 2012
    Yes, I know. I'm just a bitter customer with no more decent options of keeping my unlimited data plan. If anything, I'll probably get rid of my Spotify membership once I get the phone because I'll have enough space to put a large chunk of my music on it. So in essence it will save me $10/month along with more bandwidth for other services.

Edit: I also wonder if I can use my old Apple Care Protection Plan for the iPhone that I purchased through Verizon for my iPhone 4, but never activated and use it for my iPhone 5.

Currently Apple's website offers Apple Care +, which looks like the same thing but different name. I'll have to look into that. If anyone knows, let me know!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Yes, I know. I'm just a bitter customer with no more decent options of keeping my unlimited data plan. If anything, I'll probably get rid of my Spotify membership once I get the phone because I'll have enough space to put a large chunk of my music on it. So in essence it will save me $10/month along with more bandwidth for other services.

Edit: I also wonder if I can use my old Apple Care Protection Plan for the iPhone that I purchased through Verizon for my iPhone 4, but never activated and use it for my iPhone 5.

Currently Apple's website offers Apple Care +, which looks like the same thing but different name. I'll have to look into that. If anyone knows, let me know!
    That is very interesting indeed. I never knew you could have an unactivated Apple Care. I sort of assumed you just bought it for a particular device at the time of purchase, and it applied to that device. If it is indeed possible to pass around Apple Cares, maybe there is a way to get one off eBay at a price that is reasonable.

Then again, I've never had Apple Care, and never needed it, so I'm not about to start spending money on nothing now.
  • I thought you had to pull it out of the box and activate it, but actually it's just automatically activated when you purchase it. Ro, you should check into that because they do scan it in when you purchase it, and it's attached to the serial number of the device.
  • If you buy Apple Care with a device it automatically enrolls you. But when I bought Apple Care for my MacBook a few months after my purchase I had to activate it.
  • Well I didn't buy it with the device. I bought it perhaps a month later. It's probably linked to my current phone but need to do the final activation with the code it came with ah well.

My phone has been in good condition for as long as I've had it, so in essence I probably didn't need Apple Care Protection Plan, but it's those "just-in-case" things. =/
  • Anybody subscribe to mobile hotspot plan? I'm currently with Clear I have a grandfathered plan that I pay 25 bucks for but only older generation Apple products work on it. I have 3rd gen iPod. I really like the new one but I will have to go to a higher mobile hot spot plan. 35 bucks and slower speeds. Data is unlimited though.
  • I wish the new connector was USB3, but considering I have exactly 1 USB3 port (and on my desktop at that) it's not such a big deal, personally. The LTE and better wifi more than makes up for it.

Also, I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon, mostly due to their coverage. Sure, both are unseemly and dickish, but I get four Verizon (iPad LTE) bars to two AT&T ("4G" iPhone) at home. Also, I'm not eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, but I can sell my current phone for the same price as a new, subsidized phone ($300), and AT&T's cancellation fee is $200. I'm basically making money on this deal.

The carriers made sure that MVNOs had a really hard time, and there are almost none left. Virgin Mobile is now basically just Sprint. Baltimore happens to be the best city for Sprint. IIRC it is the first place they added Wi-Max.
    That said, Virgin is mega tits awesome if you don't want a contract and want reasonably powerful Android phones or the iPhone. $35 bucks a month, unlimited data (throttled but still usable after 2 gigs), unlimited texts, 300 voice minutes. They don't have the Nexus series, but they do have the iPhone.
  • edited September 2012
    I still use Virgin Moble and outside of an issue (which they fixed) in Baltimore it is ok.

That said, Virgin is mega tits awesome if you don't want a contract and want reasonably powerful Android phones or the iPhone. $35 bucks a month, unlimited data (throttled but still usable after 2 gigs), unlimited texts, 300 voice minutes. They don't have the Nexus series, but they do have the iPhone.
    Yup had it for several years and except for 2 times they did the job for me.

Also got the $35 plan grandfathered at $25 a month, SUCH A BOSS DEAL!

The closest one I found was the $30 Monthly 4G plan at T-Moble. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB of data at 4G speeds
    Post edited by Coldguy on

• Also got the $35 plan grandfathered at $25 a month, SUCH A BOSS DEAL!

Ah, ya bastid. I had to ditch my $25 a month ago when I upgraded my phone. It specifically refused to allow me to grandfather and still upgrade.
  • The closest one I found was the $30 Monthly 4G plan at T-Moble. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB of data at 4G speeds
    That's what I've got. The minutes are low, but I hardly ever "talk" on my phone, but use Skype or Line instead.
  • edited September 2012
    The closest one I found was the $30 Monthly 4G plan at T-Moble. 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB of data at 4G speeds
    That's what I've got. The minutes are low, but I hardly ever "talk" on my phone, but use Skype or Line instead.

Ruffas I am looking to have the same set up. Currently on my old iphone 3 I am running Google Voice to make calls using my GV number. The hitch is that Google Voice defaults to the data network which is spotty inside buildings where I am.

Do any of you know of a solution to both send and receive calls/texts over wifi, making my smartphone just a VOIP computer? This way I could buy the most affordable t-mobile plan you described, and rely on wifi connections for most of my communication.

Post edited by Bromley on
  • edited September 2012
    As far as I know, all of T-Mobile's smart phones can send and receive calls over wifi, but those still count towards your 100 minutes. I'll normally use some VoIP to talk to my friends and use the minutes for old people like my parents or employer. Most VoIPs also send messages, but SMS is unlimited on this plan anyway.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • http://www.macworld.com/article/2010566/apple-allows-online-reservations-for-in-store-pickups-of-iphone-5.html

So if I order tonight between 2200-0400, I can reserve it online to pick up at the store the next day.

I think I just may do that.
  • http://www.macworld.com/article/2010566/apple-allows-online-reservations-for-in-store-pickups-of-iphone-5.html

So if I order tonight between 2200-0400, I can reserve it online to pick up at the store the next day.

I think I just may do that.
    Dangit. I ordered mine, and it will supposedly ship next month. Maybe that date will move forward automatically, or maybe I can modify my order.
  • edited September 2012
    I called a local Apple store on a whim, to see if they had any in stock. Of course they didn't and the rep told me to do that. I did a quick Google search to confirm and found that link.

Yeah. I'm really wanting a new shiny phone.

Hopefully you can modify your order. Did you order through Apple or Verizon?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2012
    I called a local Apple store on a whim, to see if they had any in stock. Of course they didn't and the rep told me to do that. I did a quick Google search to confirm and found that link.

Yeah. I'm really wanting a new shiny phone.

Hopefully you can modify your order. Did you order through Apple or Verizon?
    Apple. About to login and see.

Nothing obvious. Just going to let it go. What's the rush?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah. I'm really wanting a new shiny phone.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • Nothing obvious. Just going to let it go. What's the rush?
    To get my Super Hexagon score higher! That's what! :P
    ಠ_ಠ
    (;゜0゜)

Don't give me that look, George! Don't make me feel guilty! The precious calls to me and we must have it.
  • ಠ_ಠ
    ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=ε=┌(; ̄◇ ̄)┘
    *Runs away from the disapproving stare of guilt.*