This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Interface elements are very different from game mechanics.
  • Interface elements are very different from game mechanics.
    True, but most board game interface elements are so generic that you probably couldn't make an argument like that.
  • At my community college there is a group of (depending on the time of day) around 5-10 awesome geeks that hang out between classes. One day I plan to bring cookies, cups, tea bags, and a portable kettle to school, then have an impromptu tea party next to the pond.
  • At my community college there is a group of (depending on the time of day) around 5-10 awesome geeks that hang out between classes. One day I plan to bring cookies, cups, tea bags, and a portable kettle to school, then have an impromptu tea party next to the pond.
    'Cause there ain't no party like a college tea party! Hey! Ho! Hey! Ho!
  • Yesterday I watched all of Bakemonogatari and of course today I have Fuwafuwari fuwaru stuck in my head.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm in Bryant Park until 530 or so. First person to tag me gets a free Crumbs cupcake.

I'm by the big lawn, on a bench, with a flannel shirt,a hat, big headphones, and an original DS. I also have a green band on my left arm.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I'm thinking about starting some sort of geek club. We got a LARP club and a gaming club already. No anime club or comic club. What to do....
  • I don't know how people keep having problems with their Source-based game servers. People keep bitching about updates breaking this or that, but I've never had that happen to mine. Maybe people just don't know how to run a freaking server.
  • Maybe people just don't know how to run a freaking server.
    Ding Ding Ding!
  • Maybe people just don't know how to run a freaking server.
    Ding Ding Ding!
    I think the main problem is that people install a bunch of crappy mods that half-break the game with every update. Lesson: Don't use shitty mods.
  • Perhaps do a Monday episode on how to run a server?
  • Perhaps do a Monday episode on how to run a server?
    1) Make sure the computer is powerful enough.
    2) Make sure you have enough bandwidth.
    3) Don't fuck around trying to do all sorts of weird mods and shit.
    4) Leave as many defaults as possible.
    5) Don't turn it off.
  • So nice of you Scott, but more specifics would be nice. It's just a suggestion and I'm sure the not-so-savvy computer people like myself would be interested.

1) How much is powerful enough?
    2) How much bandwidth?

Personal experiences like with Rym's CS server may be interesting to hear.
  • edited August 2011
    That all depends entirely on which game you are running a server. Some games you can run a server on the oldest crappiest piece of shit with a dial-up modem. To run an MMO with a lot of players, you need big iron.

Also, specific instructions vary wildly based on which game. You pretty much just have to find instructions for the server you want to run.

If you want to run a server for any Valve game, there is a site for that.

http://hlds101.com/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2011
    In terms of source,
    1) How much is powerful enough?
    Basically any modern computer. Source is a stupidly easy to run engine, and is very light, honestly. Any modern Core or Core i series could run a 32 person server (max Source allows without heavy hacking and moding) easily.
    2) How much bandwidth?
    With about 18 people on, I've topped out at about 1.5 to 1.8 megabits/second consistent. This is the main bottleneck of the server. You almost always need a near-symetric connection, or limit yourself to your (probably shit) upstream bandwidth.

In terms of the actual computer, I use a Linode 512, which is the smallest one they offer. We (I pay for it with another guy) bumped up the RAM a bit, but other than that, it's stock. The processor is a 4 core Xeon, but I've never seen it go above 50% when we have a lot of people on.

Installation is stupid easy. It's three commands: two to get the actual files installed, and one to launch the server. Updates are pretty easy, too. It's just one command, then restarting the server.

Mods are pretty pointless and annoying, honestly. I use one mod that lets people choose the next map and change the map if enough people agree that they don't want to play on the current one, but beyond that, I don't mod shit. There's all sorts of crazy game modes I could create or activate on the server with SourceMod, but half the time, those things are the reason why a server breaks, because they change everything so basically and fundamentally, so if something changes in an update, BAM, "Cannot start server". Stick with MapChooser, Nominate, Voting, and RockTheVote and you've got a good server. Save the crazy shit for custom maps.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Oh, also don't change the rules of the game! Too many people think they know better than the original game developers and try to change the game rules. They'll increase damage on a weapon, decrease speed on another, etc. You are a server admin, you don't know better! Don't touch shit!
  • Oh, also don't change the rules of the game! Too many people think they know better than the original game developers and try to change the game rules. They'll increase damage on a weapon, decrease speed on another, etc. You are a server admin, you don't know better! Don't touch shit!
    But it's OBVIOUS that Snipers are OP, so I should obviously ban them.

(In CS:S lingo: But it's obvious the Scout and AWP are overpowered, I should just ban them!)
  • The only good server side mods I can remember are more meta stuff, like the very good one that limits each class in a TF2 server to two or three players per side.
  • The only good server side mods I can remember are more meta stuff, like the very good one that limits each class in a TF2 server to two or three players per side.
    Why? If a team wants to be all Spy, why not? That could actually be pretty hilarious.
  • I rarely becomes that awesome. Engineer is usually the one class everyone stacks (Why oh, why do people do this when they're the attacking team?!).

I have been on a full spy rush, it was pretty funny. A team of medics with one heavy is also hilarious.
  • edited August 2011
    This is the kind of thing I use to teach English to Japanese kids.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've been volunteering at my highschool to help get the computers ready for next year, and It seems that they've never re-imaged them, let alone re-installed the OS. The school used to teach a C++ course, and some of the computers still had Visual C++ that hadn't been run since 2005. I thought it was bad when I found a computer with Firefox 2.0, until I found one with 1.5. I guess this explains why they all run like shit.
    Except knowing when to "rush" with a particular class can be a very valuable thing.
  • Such servers are not pub servers.
  • Maynard's dick.
  • One of the kids caught an octopus with his bare hands today. Color me impressed.

• Shokuyoku! Shokuyoku! Shokuyoku! [Japanese for appetite.]
  • edited August 2011

Click on image to enlarge. So awesome.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Found him!
  • Found him!
    I had more fun recognizing all the other robots.