This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak has something interesting to say.
    I disagree. The point of social justice isn't to advance any causes, it's to make people feel bad for being white or male.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak has something interesting to say.
    I disagree. The point of social justice isn't to advance any causes, it's to make people feel bad for being white or male.
    I thought you stopped going to SRS?

• Correct. They aren't extreme enough for me.
  • edited August 2012
    Correct. They aren't extreme enough for me.
    They are clearly part of the racist patriarchy then, and must be destroyed. And by destroyed, I mean endlessly patronized and drowned in supercilious snark. Actual change is too much effort.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If things changed, we couldn't be angry anymore!
  • This is seriously the third time you've made me belly laugh today. Doing good work, sketch, doing good work.
  • Mitt Romney made me late for work.
    Christ, what an asshole.
    Christ, what an asshole.
    He also made a bunch of people miss their movie, and I had to give them all refunds!

Context: I work at a theater, and he rented it out all morning for some private event. The event went on a little too long, so the doors were still locked when I got to work and a bunch of people didn't make it to their movie on time. Christ, what an asshole.
  • I want to go out drinking or some such thing, but I feel like everyone I know is either too young or too old.
  • I want to go out drinking or some such thing, but I feel like everyone I know is either too young or too old.
    Too young I can understand, but people that are "too old" often make great drinking buddies.

• Chase here. I'm glad you gents like my name and I will admit that it is the driving force in all that I do, but I revealed earlier this evening to a Select Few what my TRUE name is! Excellent work on the Photoshops btdubs, Scott.
    Too young I can understand, but people that are "too old" often make great drinking buddies.
    The issue might actually be that they're not old enough yet.
  • I revealed earlier this evening to a Select Few what my TRUE name is!
    Can I use this to summon and bind you?
  • Commissioner.
  • Creamsteak, unfortunately you can, which is why I didn't say what it actually is. But if you can guess it in three guess, I'll give up the claim I have on your child from that time I spun all of that straw into gold for you.
  • Stairs
    "Stairs count as normal terrain for the purposes of moving. However, if you enter a prone state for any reason while on stairs, you will tumble to the bottom of them and take falling damage for each yard traveled. If the character is still conscious, they can make a Dd4 check to arrest their momentum halfway down and take appropriately reduced damage; otherwise, it keeps happening. Perhaps somebody should have warned them."
  • edited August 2012
    Went to my first microbio lecture today. I think this is luv, bb.

Definitely doing my Masters in this, if not a PhD. The world needs second-generation biofuels. Octanogenesis.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Went to my first microbio lecture today. I think this is luv, bb.

Definitely doing my Masters in this, if not a PhD. The world needs second-generation biofuels. Octanogenesis.
    False. What we need is Mr. Fusion.

• Went to my first microbio lecture today. I think this is luv, bb.

False. What we need is Mr. Fusion.

It'd be nice (and I know you're joking), but I think that no matter what we do, our best energy storage solution for transportation is alkanes. Can you imagine the infrastructural overhaul necessary in a world where we suddenly have to abandon the internal combustion engine? We need carbon fuels for transport, but we need them for only that. Our power should be nuclear, our plastics and synthetics microbial. That's how we'll fix the planet.

Fun fact: Did you know that all the butyldiols used to make carpeting are now produced by bacteria? It's cheaper to make the plastic in bioreactors than from crude.
  • You do not think that we will move to battery powered cars?
  • Energy density and the tremendous cost of lithium infrastructure considered? I don't find it particularly likely. Not for the next hundred years, anyway.
    Battery technology has not significantly advanced in a long time.
    Battery technology has not significantly advanced in a long time.
    Yep, consider the fact that $36k of the Tesla Roadster's $110k pricetag is the lithium battery. Then, ask yourself if the common man will ever be able to afford something like that. Computers have gotten way cheaper in the last ten years, but battery prices have stayed pretty much the same; our PCs just use their batteries more efficiently. Unfortunately, we're reaching the limits of efficiency on electric motors outside of supercooled applications, from what I understand.
  • Realistically, hydrogen is the best chance for an all electric car. But far more likely are things like the chevy volt, which is a totally electric until it runs its batteries down and then it switches on an gasoline electric generator.
  • There's also research being done on improving capacitors to the point where they might be able to replace batteries one day.
  • What about capturing the engery from the rotation of the wheels and the brakes?
  • Gasoline happens to be a high-value, efficient, stable energy source with still low creation costs. Nothing really beats it for the purpose of generating motive force in a self-contained manner.
  • edited August 2012
    Realistically, hydrogen is the best chance for an all electric car. But far more likely are things like the chevy volt, which is a totally electric until it runs its batteries down and then it switches on an gasoline electric generator.
    Hydrogen has huge energy density, but the storage infrastructure necessary makes it almost science fiction. I hope that we have fuel cells one day, but even if we switch to hydrogen cars, you'll have a hell of a time retrofitting all of our airplanes with hydrogen jets.
    There's also research being done on improving capacitors to the point where they might be able to replace batteries one day.
    Graphene ultracaps with slow discharge could definitely work for cars, but I doubt the ability of us to create an electric jet engine. Airplanes are the problem, here. Ask Churba about the expense of a jet engine and how often they're recycled. Airlines are the biggest obstacle, not automobiles.
    What about capturing the engery from the rotation of the wheels and the brakes?
    Still a net loss; regenerative systems only sustain battery life. And eventually, the lithium crystallizes anyway and you need to spend a tremendous amount of energy to regenerate it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on