This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Dear brain, please shut the fuck up.

Sincerely, Greg.
    My wife complains about this too. She says it's what keeps her up. Can't stop thinking. Ever. About everything. Everything in life that's worrying her, all the time, or random things. All night. All day.

I have the opposite problem lately. I sit and try to think of stuff, and I just sit on the initial concept forever and nothing comes. I can't remember when this started, but it sure sucks.
  • "Why doesn't FetLife have an app?"
    Sweet jesus no.
  • I've absolutely fallen in love with the artwork of John Kenn.
  • edited October 2012
    I've absolutely fallen in love with the artwork of John Kenn.
    snip
    Oh hai. I like John Kenn too.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • "The fan in me made it very hard to give their PC port a 6/10 in my official review. It hurts to critique the things we love, even if we all know how lousy Yes Men are."

6/10 is a harsh critique? Isn't 6/10 above average?
  • Such is the world of PC game ratings - it's pretty much a 5-10 scale.
  • Sail of the Nine Fingers
    Don't forget the ring of doom!

Where is the ring of doom?

They're taking the Nines to Isengard!

• Flash is the zombie of software. The fucker won't die and go away.
    It does; it's called Safari. :P Works just fine for me.

• Sail of the Nine Fingers
    Don't forget the ring of doom!

Where is the ring of doom?

They're taking the Nines to Isengard!

That doesn't scan.

But it's still stuck in my head.

Thanks, Obama.

• Ready for the hurricane.
  • You can't shoot the wind.
  • Pffffft, whada you know anyway. >_>
  • Given what we seem to have for neighbors around here, last year when I went out and bought a propane stove at Cabela's ahead of the second power outage, I also bought a 26" machete.
  • edited October 2012
    You can't shoot the wind.
    But you can shoot the breeze.
    So according to the Beaufort scale he can kill it before it reaches 30 mph.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • George is clinging to his guns and religi-, beans.

I realized that the Pacific Northwest has little to no chance of getting hurricanes due to geographic location. I'm totally ok with this.

Yeah, we have volcanoes, some floods, and the occasional storm, but East coast can keep their hurricanes.
  • You forgot your earthquakes.
  • edited October 2012
    That's Cali, not the Pac NW. We rarely get any that are worth mentioning.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I realized that the Pacific Northwest has little to no chance of getting hurricanes due to geographic location. I'm totally ok with this.
    Tsunamis too. Thank you cold-water current and plate tectonics.
  • I remember learning about plate tectonics in middle school. It was one of the coolest things I remember learning. It still is fascinating to me.
  • Dunno what you're getting all het up about. It's just a hurricane.
  • edited October 2012
    Two weeks without power last year have removed my sense of humor about hurricanes. We're still catching up on the financial costs of those storms at my house.

Really hoping my abused generator starts up tonight when I test it.

My toddler has mild autism (though her symptoms seem to abate more and more as she gets older), and having to completely overhaul her routine in an extended power outage is a painful thing.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Ouch!

The longest power outage I've ever dealt with was the great northeast outage back in 2003.
  • We have camping gear, so a power outage isn't as horrible for us as it is for a lot of people. I try to keep a decent supply of shelf-stable goods around, and the stove is on gas. I prepare by freezing water in any open freezer space (in containers of course) and filling containers with drinking water (in case the water supply is contaminated or you are on a well that has an electric pump).

Of course, we also don't have kids, and the whole disruption of the autistic routine thing seems like one of the most legit worries about a power outage I have seen. I mean, other than people whose life support depends on power, that's pretty high up there. People who were pissed because their power was out for a week and their food spoiled after the last time... maybe this time they will actually heed the warnings and prepare!
  • In large buildings like mine, the water pressure is usually provided via pumps. Long-term power outages mean no water.
  • In large buildings like mine, the water pressure is usually provided via pumps. Long-term power outages mean no water.
    New invention, the water tower.
  • Power outages in weather above freezing are weak sauce. Power outages in the middle of winter are serious business.
  • Serious question: Why is it always milk, bread, and eggs? Esp considering 2 of those things will spoil quickly? Why not canned food and juice boxes? And candy? *-*
  • Lambas bread.