This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• By more than 0 people having jobs, for starters? He's not talking post-scarcity.
  • There should be a thread just for discussions about universal garunteed income.
  • I'm thinking of taking the seat off of my bike, mounting a motorcycle seat on the rear rack, and bringing the handles back a bit.
  • edited May 2016
    I forgot there is a Random Questions thread.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Basic income for all

• Oh hey, it's Valve's Hat Economist.
  • Churba said:

Oh hey, it's Valve's Hat Economist.

Yeh, how is Valve doing these days?
  • edited May 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

Churba said:

Better than his subsequent employer, I'd say.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Dazzle369 said:

Churba said:

Better than his subsequent employer, I'd say.
    They don't compare.
  • I made a thing!
  • I like it
  • Seems legit
  • The best tasting chewing gum is Doublemint. Hands down.

The problem with Doublemint is that it lasts about 5 seconds. This is why I usually go for 5 Rain. It's not as good as Doublemint, but it's still good. Not being based on sugar, it actually lasts quite awhile.

Today I discovered a new flavor, 5 Mystery Mint MAZE. Well, it's no mystery. It tastes almost exactly like Doublemint, but it lasts as long as any other 5 gum. Bought a whole display case on Amazon just in case, since they are known to discontinue flavors as quickly as they put them out there.
  • It appears I came to a self realization moment after watching this:

http://cinemassacre.com/2016/05/17/ghostbusters-2016-no-review-i-refuse/

How in the hell are people so short-sighted?
  • GeekNights - Complains that things are bad when all they do is pander to fans nostalgia.

Cinemassacre - You're not pandering to my nostalgia? Fuck you, then.
  • edited May 2016
    Eh, I'm kinda glad he's not doing a review. If he already thinks it's bad without seeing it, and feels so strongly about it that he's willing to step up and say "This movie is going to be terrible" before seeing more than a trailer, well, that's his review. He thought it was terrible despite not seeing it, treat said review with the appropriate weight in light of that, done and done.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I kinda want to post a certain South Park video, but I'll refrain.
  • Android "Nitler Did Hothing Wrong"
  • MATATAT said:

I kinda want to post a certain South Park video, but I'll refrain.

Naggers?
  • edited May 2016
    Churba said:

Eh, I'm kinda glad he's not doing a review. If he already thinks it's bad without seeing it, and feels so strongly about it that he's willing to step up and say "This movie is going to be terrible" before seeing more than a trailer, well, that's his review. He thought it was terrible despite not seeing it, treat said review with the appropriate weight in light of that, done and done.

I think it's perfectly fine he doesn't want to see the movie. The movie looks like ass. But the biggest problem of that video is how much James is complaining about how this Ghostbusters doesn't appeal to the old fanbase and is not made for him. Summary:

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I've mostly been done with him for a few years now. It became pretty apparent how surprisingly unaware he is of, well, anything outside of his very specific nerderies, and his fans are to be avoided like death itself.
  • edited May 2016
    Nukerjsr said:

Churba said:

I think it's perfectly fine he doesn't want to see the movie. The movie looks like ass.The movie looks like ass.
    Yeah, from the trailer. Which doesn't mean much - Episode one looked fucking badass in the trailers. Spy - by the same director as Ghostbusters - awful trailer, pretty good movie. I'm holding judgement until the thing is at least actually in theaters, and we can see it start to finish.

I'm not saying he's bad for not wanting to see it. That's fine, he can watch whatever he likes. But putting out a video bitching about the movie and insisting he's not going to watch it, because it's going to be terrible? It's an opinion that deserves all the weight of anyone shitting on a movie they haven't seen.

Especially considering that most of the video, he's making a whole bunch of claims about the text of the film - which he hasn't seen, and claims he won't see. He's talking about things that are at this point - regardless of if they turn out true or not - basically just things he's made up. Why should we take him in any way seriously?

Of course, that's aside from what he spends most of the video on, which is exactly as you pointed out, complaining the movie doesn't pander to him or people like him enough. And let's face it, the reason he released that video is because sites like cinemassacre live and die on clicks and ad rev, and it's popular to shit on ghostbusters right now, so doubtless this is going to end up being shared all around the internet.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rym said:

I've mostly been done with him for a few years now. It became pretty apparent how surprisingly unaware he is of, well, anything outside of his very specific nerderies, and his fans are to be avoided like death itself.

Yes, this problem only got worse over time. He is a person who can't Google anything. If it's not one of the things he knows a fuckton about, like who actors were in old horror movies, he knows nothing about it, like computers. It makes it pretty hard to watch someone who is so wrong.
  • He also had a pretty big Gamergater on one of his shows a month or so back, which made me realize that he's just completely out of touch with...Anything.
  • I don't get why people are freaking out about the new Ghostbusters. It's not like the original was any kind of masterpiece. It was a lot of low hanging fruits and cheap shots. Paul Feig does that same low hanging cheap humor. Looks like it'll be a faithful but modern reboot.
  • Axel said:

He also had a pretty big Gamergater on one of his shows a month or so back, which made me realize that he's just completely out of touch with...Anything.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be a gamergater, but he is definitely not an Internet person. He lives in his own tiny world and pays no attention to tweets or reddits or anything in the broader community whatsoever. He's like a little hermit who lives on the mountain and occasionally makes videos and throws them down to the village.
    Greg said:

I don't get why people are freaking out about the new Ghostbusters. It's not like the original was any kind of masterpiece. It was a lot of low hanging fruits and cheap shots. Paul Feig does that same low hanging cheap humor. Looks like it'll be a faithful but modern reboot.

The original Ghostbusters is indeed a low brow comedy. However, despite being low brow, it's mostly still funny. As pretty much a direct follow-up to The Blues Brothers, it's 90% as good. What gives Ghostbusters staying power is that while being a comedy it's also a New York movie. It might be the second-most New York movie ever ("Dog Day Afternoon" being the first). On top of that, it's a sci-fi horror movie. It manages to do three things at once reasonably well. The catchy song, extremely likeable characters, and unique aesthetic (station wagon, power packs) pushed it over the top.

What was the last Hollywood comedy movie that was actually funny and worth seeing? Ever since the Something About Mary/Jim Carrey/Austin Powers era changed the formula, Hollywood comedy has been in the shitter. They just keep making trash that's funny for 13 year olds and no one else. Some of that Adam Sandler level shit was funny when I was younger, but not now. The fact that Ghostbusters even partially holds up is worthy of high praise.

As for the new one, people are freaking out for the same reasons they always do.
  • Apreche said:

What was the last Hollywood comedy movie that was actually funny and worth seeing? Ever since the Something About Mary/Jim Carrey/Austin Powers era changed the formula, Hollywood comedy has been in the shitter. They just keep making trash that's funny for 13 year olds and no one else. Some of that Adam Sandler level shit was funny when I was younger, but not now. The fact that Ghostbusters even partially holds up is worthy of high praise.

Okay old man Rubin.
  • Last Comedy people really liked, Deadpool :-p (though that is oriented towards 13 year olds while being rated R lol....)
  • Pain & Gain was a great comedy that was marketed as an action film.