This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Just a note, isn't it generally expected that people of a certain community can use words about that community that people outside can generally not say?
    I was really hoping I wouldn't have to spell this out for the forum, hoping I could give you all the benefit of the doubt regarding your intelligence.
  • Just a note, isn't it generally expected that people of a certain community can use words about that community that people outside can generally not say?
    Yes, but that doesn't make it a good thing.
  • I was really hoping I wouldn't have to spell this out for the forum, hoping I could give you all the benefit of the doubt regarding your intelligence.
    No, it's a bullshit double standard. If the word offends you, it should offend you irrespective of the speaker. If it is the intent with which the word is spoken, that is also separate from the speaker.

No, you do not get to "own" a word.
  • No, it's a bullshit double standard. If the word offends you, it should offend you irrespective of the speaker. If it is the intent with which the word is spoken, that is also separate from the speaker.

This is basically what I would have said if I had used more words.
  • I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with society, TWS.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm sorry society disagrees so strongly with TWS.
    So is he, and it drives him to beer and metal, that's his shtick ;)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm sorry society disagrees so strongly with TWS.
    It's a damn shame. I for one would welcome our new Selachimorphid overlords.
  • edited February 2011
    No, it's a bullshit double standard. If the word offends you, it should offend you irrespective of the speaker. If it is the intent with which the word is spoken, that is also separate from the speaker.

Yea, I think it's not a double standard it's more of a misunderstanding.... It's the intention of the person saying it. For example a white heterosexual redneck calling someone a F**** is being extremely negative about it and saying it as a bad thing. Kaptain K, someone who is gay is calling Rym a F**** because he's being gay but not making it sound like it's a bad thing, just using a different word.....because if he thought it was a bad thing then he'd be one of those self-hating people.... The problem occurs when someone not of the group using a word that can be used negatively, when I call you a f**** am I using it in a negative or neutral or positive way, it's hard to say.. So while your best friend who happens to be gay might take it in a friendly way, someone who doesn't know you will react like you are using it negatively..
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • If you've got a problem with me you can say so :|
    Just to get it out there, I really don't like you.
  • If you've got a problem with me you can say so :|
    Just to get it out there, I really don't like you.
    I have no opinion of you or really know who you are.
  • I am overwhelmed by what a faggot you're being.
    Seems negative to me.
  • There are like four fucking planes and a helecopter visible from my room. What the hell is going on?
  • Just as a side note, being overly assholeish and/or aggressive towards the people who run the forums, or the friends of said people would generally be considered a bad idea.
    Also, if a bunch of intelligent, reasonable people see your postings as stupid/hateful/annoying and you are telling them that 'they aren't getting the joke', then perhaps it's a problem with your capacity to convey the humor or the joke itself that is not funny, as opposed to everyone else being wrong.
    Just sayin'.
  • I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with society, TWS.
    I'm sorry that most of society is comprised of knee-jerk self-centered assholes who fail to recognize how their own behavior is reflected in the rest of society at large.

To whit, if I call you a faggot, it's not different than you calling Rym a faggot.

Really, why should you get to use a word, but nobody else does? What makes you special aside from where you like to stick your dick? Do you want societal equality? Then you shouldn't be treated differently than other people except as necessitated by physical limitations.

Explain your reasoning to me or shut the fuck up.
  • There are like four fucking planes and a helecopter visible from my room. What the hell is going on?
    I had the vision that there's four planes and a helicopter sitting at a table having drinks and talking about the weather.
  • edited February 2011
    There are like four fucking planes and a helecopter visible from my room. What the hell is going on?
    I had the vision that there's four planes and a helicopter sitting at a table having drinks and talking about the weather.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    They wouldn't be talking about much, it's a only slightly beautiful day out not enough to talk about but enough to appreciate, especially considering this is Seattle.
  • Really, why should you get to use a word, but nobody else does?
    Massive cultural ignorance and insensitivity doesn't surprise me much anymore especially in nerd communities but come on.
  • Really, why should you get to use a word, but nobody else does?
    Massive cultural ignorance and insensitivity doesn't surprise me much anymore especially in nerd communities but come on.
    The question, you dodged it.
  • edited February 2011
    A side note to my above explanation is generally you should treat conversations on the internet like conversations with strangers.

A good example was in college when the FRC used the term Bitch in a positive way, outside of the FRC you were asking for trouble so you would refrain from using the term "bitch" in the same way we would when talking within the FRC.
  • Hurf durf why can black people say nigger but I can't?!
    Yes, this is the same problem.
  • edited February 2011
    Hurf durf why can black people say nigger but I can't?!
    Listen
    If you think there's something wrong with that then there's something wrong with you.
    If you think there's something wrong with that then there's something wrong with you.
    How so?
  • Massive cultural ignorance and insensitivity doesn't surprise me much anymore especially in nerd communities but come on.
    No. Really. What makes you different than me that allows you to call Rym a "faggot?" You mean it in exactly the same way a straight guy does when he calls another straight guy a "faggot," right?

Really. Can you explain to me why you think it is socially acceptable? Should it be?

If you think someone else shouldn't say "faggot," but think it's OK for you, then you're holding society to a higher standard than the one to which you hold yourself. Now picture what happens if every individual who comprises society acts the same way.

It's OK. I know you're a socially retarded aspie neckbeard, so it's probably hard for you to grasp what I'm talking about. Just take it slowly and don't think too hard, OK? I wouldn't want you to get panicked or anything.
  • edited February 2011
    No. Really. What makes you different than me that allows you to call Rym a "faggot?" You mean it in exactly the same way a straight guy does when he calls another straight guy a "faggot," right?
    Have I been ignored in this conversation?

I disagree with your point however I think Kaptian K is treating the internet like it's his close associations which is also a social mistake of "nerds".
  • Have I been ignored in this conversation?
    Yes, but that's because I'm at work and don't want to listen to audio here.
  • I am hispanic. I do not use the hateful epithets associated with my people. Were you to use them in front of me, I'd probably deck you. Using hate speech is a disservice to the hated as well as to humanity no matter who uses it. Those words should all be abandoned.

This is not a hard concept.
  • Those words should all be abandoned. This is not a hard concept.