This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• We're not discussing religion. We're discussing someone being a dick to make a point, and being dickish only proves one point: you are a dick. Other people will immediately be defensive around dickish behavior, and that doesn't just go for religious people.
  • The guy in the video is being a dick. If someone offered my 20 dollars and in exchange I had to validate their dickishness, I probably wouldn't take it. And this isn't because 20 dollars doesn't mean much to me.

Axel is completely correct in this. Crossing "God" off the sign is designed to be insulting. If he does it, he looks mercenary in front of the camera, and the message of the video will be one thing. If he doesn't take the money, he is called irrational. He's in a complete no-win situation, and in that case trying not to play the game of the antagonist is probably the best path to take.
    Whether or not the $20 is taken, the dickishness is validated. So why not take $20?
  • Whether or not the $20 is taken, the dickishness is validated. So why not take $20?
    Because to them that would feel like they are admitting defeat. They think if they don't take it they are taking the high road and are "being the bigger man" even if they are really just giving up much needed cash.
  • The guy in the video is being a dick. If someone offered my 20 dollars and in exchange I had to validate their dickishness, I probably wouldn't take it. And this isn't because 20 dollars doesn't mean much to me.

Axel is completely correct in this. Crossing "God" off the sign is designed to be insulting. If he does it, he looks mercenary in front of the camera, and the message of the video will be one thing. If he doesn't take the money, he is called irrational. He's in a complete no-win situation, and in that case trying not to play the game of the antagonist is probably the best path to take.
    Whether or not the $20 is taken, the dickishness is validated. So why not take $20?
    Because they care more about knowing that, to themselves, they are in the right, than having money. I think this is true of most people, religious or not.
  • I'd far rather have a cheeseburger than be right any day.
  • I like my cheeseburgers well done.
  • Pretty sure if I were given the chance Id fuck the shit out of Michelle Obama.
  • I'd have to say that I'd probably refuse the $20 in a similar situation on principle - If I'm trying to make a statement, and somebody asks me to renege on that statement, I probably would refuse. I would actually find it more valuable to stick to the statement rather than appear mercenary on camera to an audience. That said, the $20 is worth a lot less to me than to the homeless guy. But the fact is, even though I could make a new sign almost immediately, having the act of removing the words from the sign recorded on camera would not be worth $20 to me, especially since the guy is a dick.

Also, knowing when continuing to argue is not worth it is the primary reason Axel and I are still friends.
  • Also, knowing when continuing to argue is not worth it is the primary reason Axel and I are still friends.
    Yep.
  • I think the argument is being whitewashed to be about religion to take advantage of the popular internet atheism's knee-jerk reaction to hate anything related to religion. This isn't about religion vs. logic. This is about pride vs. money. I get that the guy is homeless and needs money for food, but what would the reaction be if the person in the video said "I'll give you $20 to punch yourself in the face", or "I'll give you $100 to run through a mall naked, screaming 'Help, raccoons stole my penis!'"? I have no problem with a man choosing his pride over $20.
  • Charity with strings attached is not charity.
  • Charity with strings attached is not charity.
    Precisely. The guy doing the video is not a good guy, he's not proving a particularly good point, and the homeless guy isn't really giving up something free. It has a price, and that price is his own self-respect, or at least what little he still has being homeless.
  • Come on Scott finish the book. First Geek Nights book club book I read and I'm looking forward to the review podcast.
  • The Kids in the Hall is really really funny.
  • Borders haul: The Thousandfold Thought, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Tokyo Godfathers.
    I climb the D-Squash Ladder one rung at a time. Today, you are my rung, Armstrong!
    I climb the D-Squash Ladder one rung at a time. Today, you are my rung, Armstrong!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERADICATOR!!!!
  • I feel like grabbing a 56k modem and dialing into one of the exchanges that has opened up to support all the revolution activity, just to feel that rush when you listen to the handshake.
  • Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
  • I feel like grabbing a 56k modem and dialing into one of the exchanges that has opened up to support all the revolution activity, just to feel that rush when you listen to the handshake.
    Have you ever met someone who could handshake with their voice?
  • Id pay a dollar to see that.
  • edited February 2011
    That's how phone phreaking began, deaf kids dialing phone tones vocally.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9V_W8ItKU#t=2m48s
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • They were blind, not deaf. That wouldn't make any sense.
  • Haw, brainfart. I'm not even gonna fix it because it's funny.
  • That's how phone phreaking began, deaf kids dialing phone tones vocally.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9V_W8ItKU#t=2m48s
    Very interesting videos; thanks for the link.
  • Archaic hacking is one of my favorite subjects " 3 "
  • edited February 2011

Yes, that is blackface.

No, no one seems to care, to this day.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2011
    Yes, that is blackface.

No, no one seems to care, to this day.
    The number one rule of comedy is this: You can get away with anything, so long as you're funny.
    "Ah been waitin' five minuets, Ah been waitin' ten minets, Ah been waitin' fifteen minuets. Finally Ah say "Waiter, Waiter, get me a cup o' coffee 'cause Ah am waitin' on one meeeeeeen mistreater."
    Post edited by progSHELL on