This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2011

Comments

• I'm not sure I'm prepared to make that promise.
    Well then, I suppose the question is how much are you willing to pay to have the Sexy Room?

...is Churba coming to PAXE?
  • Alright I just now realized that I have Spring Break next week, so it's time to go raccoon up in here. I know it's highly unlikely that I'll find anything, but if anyone knows someone with a 3-day pass and/or a hotel room let me know.
    If all else fails, I'll go see Bill Cosby.
  • Maybe you should promise we won't go all "Oh shit George is here" on them.
    That was mostly Wyatt's doing. >_>
  • edited March 2011
    ...is Churba coming to PAXE?
    Not without incredibly unlikely financial happenings. But there are PAXes in the near future, which I won't say I won't be at.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • ...is Churba coming to PAXE?
    Not without incredibly unlikely financial happenings. But there are PAXes in the near future, which I won't say I won't be at.
    Well damn. How can we have a Sexy Room without a Churba? Maybe you can smuggle yourself into a package or something. Just watch out for those depressurized air mail compartments...
  • How can we have a Sexy Room without a Churba?
    It's goddamn near impossible, But I have great faith in you.
  • Is there a post somewhere of the GeekNights recommended panel schedule? I've been looking for it and haven't seen it as yet. This will by my first PAX East and I was hoping to get some recommendations on which panels will be most worthwile.
  • edited March 2011
    Is there a post somewhere of the GeekNights recommended panel schedule? I've been looking for it and haven't seen it as yet. This will by my first PAX East and I was hoping to get some recommendations on which panels will be most worthwile.
    What do you like in regards to the gaming world? Read the descriptions. Go from there.

Opening ceremonies (keynote), Q&A;, Make A Strip, Final Round Omegathon are ALL a requirement for your first PAX.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Opening ceremonies (keynote), Q&A;, Make A Strip, Final Round Omegathon are ALL a requirement for your first PAX.
    I don't know if Make A Strip is a requirement. It's damn good, but I've never personally been to it. If you care more about Penny Arcade than about games, definitely go to it. If you care mostly about games, and you just like Penny Arcade, you can probably pass.
  • Question: I have still have not received my PAX badge even though I bought it very early on, is there a proper procedure to get the badge mailed out or do I have to wait in line to pick it up?
  • They normally give it out automatically, they also have a sort of proof of sale recipt that you can print out when you pre register, just in case your badge gets lost in the mail you can get it in line.
  • I full endorse going to Make a Strip at your first PAX. I don't think the decision is gaming vs. Make a Strip, though. I feel that it is other panels vs. Make a Strip. You should spend your PAX doing a variety of different things in moderation: panels, gaming, etc. If there are no other smaller panels that excite you, put Make a Strip on your schedule and you will not be dissapointed. The only one I planned to attend at PAX East last year was Action Castle (which was awesome), so I went to Make a Strip as well and did not regret it.

Also, Saturday concert > Friday concert. Download some albums from Jonathan Coulton and MC Frontalot and see if you can get into their music. If you dig it and get hooked on some of their songs now, you'll love the concert.
  • I disagree, only because the Friday and Saturday concerts seem to be way different beasts. If you are more into rock and roll then the Friday concert would be the business, plus it ends with Frontalot. The Saturday concert seems to be more of the folk stuff with Paul and Storm and JoCo.
  • Fair enough point. For some reason I thought you were getting Frontalot and JoCo on the same night but I don't remember actually seeing the schedule.
  • Friday is Protomen, Metroid Metal, Anamanaguchi, and Frontalot. Saturday is VGO, Paul and Storm, and JoCo
  • edited March 2011
    I'm worried because my badge isn't in the mail yet. ((o-o))
    Post edited by Viga on
  • You guys should Tweet Official PAX or send them an email, jic.
  • You guys should Tweet Official PAX or send them an email, jic.
    I just did. I'm worried because I want to have it before I buy my airfare. So I wont waste money.
  • I forget do we get our enforcer badge at the convention right?
  • I forget do we get our enforcer badge at the convention right?
    Yeah.
  • I still haven't gotten our badges yet...
  • That's odd. Seems like (b)westcoasters got there badges already. They were shipped from CT too. Very peculiar indeed. Perhaps by the end of the week you will get them.
  • Per Official_PAX: Last batch went out on Friday - if you have any issues, please email pax_questions@paxsite.com. thanks!

Hope you guys get your badges.
  • edited March 2011
    Friday is Protomen, Metroid Metal, Anamanaguchi, and Frontalot. Saturday is VGO, Paul and Storm, and JoCo
    Also, according to AaronC, Metroid Metal will be closing out Friday. Frontalot playing in the mddle.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • That's the lineup I have, no Anamanamanama. LIneups are always subject to change.
  • Tournament info for Pac-Man CE DX up here. Scott Rubin, I'm coming for you!
  • Tournament info for Pac-Man CE DX up here. Scott Rubin, I'm coming for you!
    Oh, they moved it to early in the day. I think it conflicts with our Freemarket game.
  • The Omegathon's been announced on the PA blog - it's mostly board games this time. I'm interested to see how the Operation games are going to go.
  • Ahhh, Bananagrams. You can't say we didn't tell you it would be big. ;^)
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry to bring up dickwolves again, but after getting a link from a friend today, I'm curious: what do you guys think of this article?

In regards to the issue, I'm in the "first strip was funny/actually anti-rape; response strip was potentially questionable but also not terrible; dickwolves shirt and some of their other responses were too far" camp myself, so I'm a little of two minds. I like that this article goes out of its way to make it clear that the original joke is not the issue but rather the way the response was handled, and it lays out exactly the reasons why someone would feel unwelcome at PAX after all this. Maybe you don't agree with them or think they have any impact, but they are non-crazy reasons, at least.

However, someone in the comments pointed out that it does misrepresent at least one statement from the PA side - the comment about people getting banned from PAX. Are there any other misrepresentations present here that anyone else can spot? I stopped reading PA a while ago (due to not really identifying as a gamer anymore), so I'm not really up on statements they've made and whatnot.
    Post edited by Eryn on