This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Atomic Trivia War 9000: The Podcast: The Game

Comments

• Congrats on getting onto Simply Syndicated, guys :)
    Yeah, that's awesome. Nice one, Jason.
  • We're recording this Thursday, n'est pas?
    No, not this Thursday. Next Thursday.
  • Congrats on getting onto Simply Syndicated, guys :)
    Yeah, that's awesome. Nice one, Jason.
    Quite. Brofist.jpeg
  • We're recording this Thursday, n'est pas?
    No, not this Thursday. Next Thursday.
    Ok, good to know. I'll make sure I'll add it to various calendars so I don't forget.
  • Thank you for schooling us Trogdor! After all, the definition of LASER was also recently a question on the show. Is there a name for Acronyms which are so ubiquitous that they have entered the dictionary as a common word? Anyhow.

Of course, none of this brings us any further to the correct way to pronounce AT-AT. We said "at ats" growing up, but we spelled out AT-STs as "EH TEE ESS TEE EH". The last eh was just due to the fact we were in Canada at the time.

Which of course brings us to the wider topic of "Things Never Mentioned in the Star Wars Movies, Yet People Know." Like, you'd have to go pretty far to find someone who does not know what an Ewok is, despite no film ever uttering the word. A more select few could say, name all the bounty hunters sent to find Han (top of my head - IG-88, Dengar, Bossk, Boush, (unsure of spellings!) 4-Lom and of course, Mr Fett ) despite never being mentioned. OK, Han says Boba Fett in Jedi, and it sounds utterly ridiculous, even when spoken by one of the coolest brothers in the galaxy.

But all of this furthers to what a marketing genius Mr Lucas was, and perhaps still is, despite his ability to direct a film anymore!
  • Here is a lecture on how to pronounce the Acronym
  • The Ewok Adventure was a Star Wars film.
  • Is there a name for Acronyms which are so ubiquitous that they have entered the dictionary as a common word?
    I don't think there's a special word for that; they're just acronyms that are in the dictionary.
  • Here is a lecture on how to pronounce the Acronym
    Indebted as always!!
  • Ah, yes. Let's address this now.

Part of moving to Simply Syndicated is actually getting decent hosting. Podomatic is ok, I guess, but kind of expensive for the bandwidth we're already using a paltry three months in. So we're going to SS's Libsyn account, which means a new RSS feed.

Please point your podcatchers at our new feed.

I will be putting a short audio message on the Podomatic account letting listeners there know about the switch. I'm also in the midst of getting Apple to switch the feed on our iTunes listing and to place our show page under the special Simply Syndicated iTunes page.
    Are you suggesting a correlation between the release of the Ewok Adventure and the general renown of the term Ewok, or might the renown have given rise to the film? :D OK you may have me that it's a Star Wars film.

It was a weird movie too. The kid loses his parents in a space ship crash and moves straight to the stage of grief titled "Forgetting your parents existed and frolicking with teddy bears, who despite their benign appearance can somehow take down and entire legion heavily trained and armed stormtroopers".
  • which means a new RSS feed.
    This is why we use Feedburner.
  • which means a new RSS feed.
    This is why we use Feedburner.
    I unfortunately did not have that foresight, as I expected to remain in total obscurity and have about 20 downloads ever. I just accepted the RSS feed handed to me by Podomatic. Luckily, this is all happening on episode 13 and not on episode 113.
  • There is a way to put something in the RSS feed which redirects iTunes to stop looking at that feed and instead look at a different feed. I don't recall how to do this myself now, but you should look into it. Most people won't need to change the feed at all, as iTunes will swap for them.
  • Here is a lecture on how to pronounce the Acronym walkthough for Resident Evil 5.
  • There is a way to put something in the RSS feed which redirects iTunes to stop looking at that feed and instead look at a different feed. I don't recall how to do this myself now, but you should look into it. Most people won't need to change the feed at all, as iTunes will swap for them.
    Podomatic doesn't let you have that kind of control over your RSS, but when I used them and was switching to Libsyn all I had to do was PM an admin and ask politely.
    Podomatic doesn't let you have that kind of control over your RSS, but when I used them and was switching to Libsyn all I had to do was PM an admin and ask politely.
    Where in shit did you find an option to PM somebody?
  • Where in shit did you find an option to PM somebody?
    Are there not forums anymore?
  • I'm editing the newest episode, which features David Riley and Graz once again, and I must say -- it's a fucking good episode so far. That Dave guy, he has that... what is it... charisma thing that I lack.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't feel bad, Jason, you're pretty charismatic. It's just that very few human beings can possibly compare to Dave Riley in that area.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    They were also mentioned in the pre-show for Star Tours.
  • Will all the previous episodes be available on the Simply Synidcated feed, or just 11-13?
  • Will all the previous episodes be available on the Simply Synidcated feed, or just 11-13?
    I'm going to throw select ones in the feed over the next couple of weeks. I haven't decided whether select means "the ones Jason really likes" or "all." There is an upload cap, though, even though the bandwidth is unlimited. I can only upload so much a month.

If you want all the old ones for your personal collection or what have you, download them now from the Podomatic feed.
  • If you want all the old ones for your personal collection or what have you, download them now from the Podomatic feed.
    "...before I leave this earth...my grandchild....I have something to pass on to you...."
    "Whoa! You knew Omar before... you know... the incident?"
  • Dave and Graz joined us again for Atomic Trivia War 9000, this time in Technicolor. The new episode is called: "The well-known Dr. Julius Chang (or Mario Barracus joins The A Team).

Though the show is stocked with Americans, it’s surprisingly our resident Canadian who wins the Bidding War by listing off U.S. presidents. Then in the Rank and File game we take a look at the greatest NBA players of all time (of course Michael Jordan is ranked first, that’s a given).

In the Hot Seat, Dave shows his video game cred with an entire category about the ins and outs of the Final Fantasy franchise, while Kevin delves into world mythology. Omar likes old 80s crime-fighting shows, and Graz proves she’s a big fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show.

Here's the rub: Since last you listened, we've moved to the Simply Syndicated network! This means better hosting on Libsyn and some other opportunities for growth. Please subscribe to our new RSS feed.
  • Nice internet detective work ;)
  • Someday blog and forum posts could become the equivalent of embarrassing baby pictures.
  • They already are :P Remember the FRCF tradition of making new users apologize for their first posts.