This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Atomic Trivia War 9000: The Podcast: The Game

Comments

• It's really fun!

Not sure why you were so excited about the episode with Richard Smith though. I like the guy, but he was so quite! You need to always come to the "special guest" earlier in the rounds, to get them included in the banter, not always have them last.
  • You need to always come to the "special guest" earlier in the rounds, to get them included in the banter, not always have them last.
    Duly noted. I'll be working on this.
  • Episode 11: The karate is truly fast (Or, "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!")

David Riley of Fast Karate for the Gentleman and his fiance, Graz, drop into the ATW9K studio for some trivia action.

Dave cracks his knuckles and counts out Arnold Schwarzenegger movies on his fingers in our Bidding War, and then the gang tackles AnimeNfo's top-200-ranked anime. In the hot seat, Graz goes all elvish for JRR Tolkein, Dave remembers it all for us wholesale with a Total Recall category, Omar and Jason still violently disagree about Omar's total lack of cinematic taste, and Kevin takes the video game alphabet challenge.

Ro missed out this week because she FORGOT IT WAS THURSDAY? She'll be back next week when we have another very special guest. More episodes with Richard Smith, Dave, and Graz to come in the following weeks.
  • Sweeeet.
  • Ro missed out this week because she FORGOT IT WAS THURSDAY?
  • This thought struck me while listeing to Omarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and Jason argue about movies: have either of the resident yaoi fangirls (or boys, I guess) picked up on the yaoi-ness of their conversations? Just sayin. ;)
  • I demand satisfaction for any and all disparaging remarks made about the Commodore 64 during the A-Z challenge! :D
  • edited December 2010
    Who did Michael Ironside shoot on the escalator?
    That was hilarious.

My answer: Quaid's Meat Shield.

Great episode.

OMG, you guys fail at IMDB bingo! I was yelling out the answers and my coworker was giving me weird looks.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • We totally needed you Ro. I do very poorly playing IMDB bingo on comedies, or anything staring Adam Sandler! I'm too much of a movie snob and find myself outclassed in many a category involving much of the celebrated lower brow fare.

This episode was bad for IMDB bingo, but the next one was so bad Jason had to go and find another film - more conventionally acclaimed - for us to possibly guess at since we weren't biting!
  • Do not be surprised if the ATW9K server goes down tomorrow. Downloads are fucking crazy. On Monday, we had 1,000 downloads and right now we're skating within a hair's breadth of hitting our 100 GB monthly limit (since Dec. 8).

Part of the problem is that I put out the episodes at 128 kbps. STUPID JASON! STUPID!
  • Part of the problem is that I put out the episodes at 128 kbps. STUPID JASON! STUPID!
    Yeah, that's way overkill. You should be doing mono, not stereo, with much much lower kbps.
  • Part of the problem is that I put out the episodes at 128 kbps. STUPID JASON! STUPID!
    Yeah, that's way overkill. You should be doing mono, not stereo, with much much lower kbps.
    Didn't even think about it. D'oh. Sad panda. Other various and sundry lamentations.
  • Oh, uh... I posted the episode we did in my feed today, linking back to your episode. I do that with guest shows because I figure the hosts like to see all the traffic coming in. If you want me to ease the load on your site, I can mirror that episode on our libsyn account.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, uh... I posted the episode we did in my feed today, linking back to your episode. I do that with guest shows because I figure the hosts like to see all the traffic coming in. If you want me to ease the load on your site, I can mirror that episode on our libsyn account.
    Not a problem. I'll be migrating to Libsyn's unmetered service later today.

I'm not complaining :D
    Post edited by Jason on
  • We're 5 GB over our bandwidth limit. I'm wondering how long it will take them to shut us off. Hoping to have Libsyn service later this afternoon.
  • We're 5 GB over our bandwidth limit. I'm wondering how long it will take them to shut us off. Hoping to have Libsyn service later this afternoon.
    Shh, if you don't say anything maybe they won't notice.

Or perhaps too many people are on vacation to notice. Either way, awesome!
  • Oh, uh... I posted the episode we did in my feed today, linking back to your episode. I do that with guest shows because I figure the hosts like to see all the traffic coming in. If you want me to ease the load on your site, I can mirror that episode on our libsyn account.
    I didn't know you are engaged, congrats Dave!
  • edited December 2010
    We're 5 GB over our bandwidth limit. I'm wondering how long it will take them to shut us off. Hoping to have Libsyn service later this afternoon.
    Podomatic? I used to breach their bandwidth limits all the time and nothing happened. That was quite a while ago, though. I used to be able to exceed the maximum hosting space on my Libsyn account for some reason too, but they've probably also fixed that by now.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This isn't a mild seismic activity trivia challenge. This is an atomic trivia challenge. There's bound to be casualties.
  • edited December 2010
    Did I ever tell you that Paul Chapman is my hero? He's everything I wish I could be. I could fly higher than an eagle because Paul Chapman is the unicorn beneath my wings.

Expect the new episode out tonight.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • This isn't a mild seismic activity trivia challenge. This is an atomic trivia challenge. There's bound to be casualties.
    Safely contained fusion trivia challenge 900.
  • When Rym and/or Scott come on, it's going to suddenly go OVER 9000!?!?
    They will so fail at IMDB Bingo. :P
    We'll replace it that week with a special game called, "Which of these things does Scott hate?"

ANSWER: ALL OF THEM.
  • edited December 2010
    A category that might be interesting to do/consider, "Name that Meme". Describe the meme and the contestant has to give the proper name or close to it.
    We'll replace it that week with a special game called, "Which of these things does Scott hate?"
    XD

Perhaps give tailor to them and give them some sort of comic trivia.
    Post edited by Rochelle on

• edited December 2010
    "Name that Meme"
    This has been requested a couple of times. I'll have to take a look at it. Because of the very nature of memes, it might not be possible:

"This kid, obsessed by Star Wars..."
    "Um, the Star Wars kid?"
    "D'oh!"
    Post edited by Jason on
  • "This kid, obsessed by Star Wars..."
    "Um, the Star Wars kid?"
    "D'oh!"
    This kid did a performance piece in tribute to one of the greatest/most popular/most known trilogies of our time wielding and flailing a golf ball retriever. His sword-like-kata has been recognized and spoofed on many tv shows like South Park, Venture Brothers, American Dad, and Arrested Development.
  • Another tweak suggestion!

In IMDB bingo, before announcing the leads and top supporters, perhaps name the director or, when relevant, the producer? or FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU xxx or FROM 3/6th OF THE WRITERS OF xxx
  • edited December 2010
    Did I ever tell you that Paul Chapman is my hero? He's everything I wish I could be. I could fly higher than an eagle because Paul Chapman is the unicorn beneath my wings.
    I agree with this, and raise you a "Paul Chapman changed the way I see movies" and a "I wish Paul Chapman guest hosted on more anime podcasts."

P.S. Jason, you've said that you don't know that much about anime trivia, so if you like I could write some questions about finer points of anime like "Studio Ghibli" and "Satoshi Kon"
    Post edited by progSHELL on