This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Atomic Trivia War 9000: The Podcast: The Game

Comments

• I would have had a perfect score in the hockey category.
  • edited March 2012
    I would have had a perfect score in the hockey category.
    I would have whiffed on the "most Gordie Howe Hat Tricks" question. Probably would have guess Rick Tocchet. Had almost a 1000 points and almost 3000 penalty minutes. Oh the irony of Shanny now being in charge of player safety. With 2500 PIM he is no slouch either.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • After some research on the Internet Tocchet is probably 2nd in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks. Made myself a list over at Hockey-Reference.com of all players which had a goal, an assist, and at least 5 PIM. After removing all instances in which players had 6 or 8 minutes (making it impossible for them to have had a 5 minute fighting major) and some sorting and grouping I found that Shanahan has the most with 24, and Tocchet is 2nd with 19.

Three caveats though:
    a) The list is only from 1987-88 to 2011-12 because the site doesn't have match data from before that time.
    b) I can't tell whether there was a fighting major at all in those penalty minutes.
    c) Tocchets number may even be deflated because in the three season before that data started he had 181, 284 and 288 PIM. On the other hand all of Shanahan's career games are covered by the data.

And no, I didn't waste my time with this, I did this research while listening to the radio of my hometown team beating the crap out of their opponents, both figuratively and literally, in Game 1 of round 2 in the austrian hockey league playoffs. Hopefully I can find video of the goalie fight.
  • When I said I got them all I meant I got the five actual questions. I didn't know who had the most Gordie Howe Hat tricks.
  • edited March 2012
    Answers to Show Me The Money

1. Dollar - United States
    2. British Pound - United Kingdom
    3. Dollar - Canada
    4. Colón - Costa Rica
    5. Peso - Mexico
    6. Yen - Japan
    7. Rupee - India
    8. Won - South Korea
    9. Peso - Philippines
    10. Ruble - Russia
    11. Yuan - China
    12. Euro - European Union
    13. Rial - Iran
    14. Króna - Iceland
    15. Shekel - Israel
    16. Dollar - Australia
    17. Gold-Pressed Latinum - Stark Trek (Ferengi Alliance)
    18. Bison Dollars - Street Fighter the Movie
    19. Cubits - Battlestar Galactica
    20. Galleon (gold), Sickle (silver), Knut (bronze) - Harry Potter

Photo Friday -- Omar Wants to Plug This Photo Friday

This Photo Friday is 100% Omar approved and endorsed and in his dream, plugged by himself.

Name that movie starring Angelina Jolie.

Bonus: Angelina Jolie has had four known relationships with people also pictured here. Who are they and where are they in this Photo Friday?

Send your submissions to ro.rosaka@gmail.com along with your name and where you’re from. Deadline is next Thursday, 03/15/2012, at 12AM PST. One winner will be randomly selected and given a shout-out on our next recording.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm soliciting questions about Batman for an upcoming ATW9K. Send them to reporterjason@gmail.com. ONE QUESTION PER SUBMITTER, PLEASE.
  • edited March 2012
    Answers to Omar Wants to Plug This Photo Friday (Angelina Jolie movies)

1. Hackers (Married and divorced Jonny Lee Miller)
    2. Pushing Tin (Married and divorced Billy Bob Thornton)
    3. Salt
    4. Changeling
    5. The Bone Collector
    6. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
    7. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Long term relationship and kids with Brad Pitt)
    8. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
    9. Wanted
    10. Original Sin
    11. Taking Lives
    12. Alexander
    13. The Good Shepherd
    14. Girl, Interrupted
    15. Gia
    16. Kung Fu Panda 2 (Tricky)
    17. The Tourist
    18. Foxfire (Sexual relationship with Jenny Shimizu)
    19. Beowulf
    20. Gone in Sixty Seconds

Photo Friday -- DOS-some Games

Photo Friday — DOS-some Games!

Name that DOS game. A big thanks to Kevin for helping me with this.

Bonus Trivia: How many of these are sequel games? What are the original games?

Send your submissions along with your name and where you’re from to ro.rosaka@gmail.com . Deadline is next Thursday, 03/22/2012, at 12AM PST. One winner will be randomly selected and given a shout-out on our next recording.
  • Star Control 2
    Sim City
    X-Com
    Some Gold Box D&D Game?
    Command & Conquer
    X-Wing (vs. TIE Fighter? Alliance?)
    Day of the Tentacle
    Doom
    Dark Forces
    Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis
    Warcraft
    Dune
    Grand Theft Auto
    Commander Keen
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Worms
    Wing Commander
    Flashback
    Lemmings
    Prince of Persia
    ?
    Scorched Earth
    Civilization
    Duke Nukem
  • 21 looks really damn familiar, but I can't remember the name. I know I've played it.
  • Isn't it Doom 2?
  • Isn't it Doom 2?
    You're...you're joking, right?

• Isn't it Doom 2?
    I thought it had the double barrel shotgun?
  • Isn't it Doom 2?
    I thought it had the double barrel shotgun?
    Yes, but for starters, that doesn't look anything like the Doom 2 double barrel shottie. Secondly, that UI in no way resembles Doom 2. And that enemy isn't found anywhere in Doom 2.

Have you actually played Doom 2?
  • Once, a very long time ago.
  • Isn't it Doom 2?
    Hell no. I thought it might be Hexen based on the guy in robes, but Hexen did not have a shotgun. Also, the status bar did not look like that. The problem is I know a lot of old DOS fps games with shotguns and a few with robed bad guys, but none with both. It's not Rise of the Triad, so I have no clue.
  • Isn't it Doom 2?
    Nope. That particular enemy never was in Doom 2. The graphics also look to be more akin to the Build Engine than the Doom Engine. I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's Redneck Rampage?
  • Oh god, I hath scorned the nerds!
  • edited March 2012
    I'll give you guys a hint: the game was developed by 3D Realms and Monolithic Productions and distributed by GT Interactive in May 1997 and came on 2 CDs.

Edit: Lou is correct that it's on the Build engine, but no it's not Redneck Rampage.

Here's some fun trivia, which game had the most CDs and how many where they?
  • edited March 2012
    Isn't it Doom 2?
    Nope. That particular enemy never was in Doom 2. The graphics also look to be more akin to the Build Engine than the Doom Engine. I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's Redneck Rampage?
    Nope, RR had a different UI too. There's no meter indicating drunkenness.

EDIT: A-ha! It has to be Blood. The only other game I can remember from that time was Shadow Warrior (which also used the Build Engine), and that doesn't look like Shadow Warrior at all.

Also, SW was a terrible fucking game.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited March 2012
    I'll give you guys a hint: the game was developed by 3D Realms and Monolithic Productions and distributed by GT Interactive in May 1997 and came on 2 CDs.

Edit: Lou is correct that it's on the Build engine, but no it's not Redneck Rampage.

Here's some fun trivia, which game had the most CDs and how many where they?
    Redneck Rampage may have had that kind of weapon, but it didn't have that kind of enemy or environment.

I think the most CDs was Wing Commander IV.

EDIT: OMG, I've never even HEARD of Blood.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    You are hereby sentenced to play all of Doom and Doom2 this weekend. You may use ZDoom or Doom Legacy engines to make your life easier.

http://zdoom.org/News
    http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/
  • edited March 2012
    Oh god, I hath scorned the nerds!
    You are hereby sentenced to play all of Doom and Doom2 this weekend. You may use ZDoom or Doom Legacy engines to make your life easier.

Have you even looked at my special "hover text" of the image? You should.

Have you even looked at my special "hover text" of the image? You should.
    I'm taking you to PC area at PAX.

But I have a date this weekend...
  • edited March 2012
    Oh god, I hath scorned the nerds!

But I have a date this weekend...
    If it's someone worth dating, they can help you beat it in just a few minutes. You can even play it on "Hey, not too rough" mode. Even though real men play on Ultra Violence.

Nightmare is just a joke for lulz.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Star Control 2
    Sim City
    X-Com
    Some Gold Box D&D Game?
    Command & Conquer
    X-Wing (vs. TIE Fighter? Alliance?)
    Day of the Tentacle
    Doom
    Dark Forces
    Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis
    Warcraft
    Dune
    Grand Theft Auto
    Commander Keen
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Worms
    Wing Commander
    Flashback
    Lemmings
    Prince of Persia
    ?
    Scorched Earth
    Civilization
    Duke Nukem
    Impressive! Although some you have the write franchise but wrong actual game or sequel.
  • It's not easy to tell which particular X-Wing/TIE Fighter or Wing Commander game is which.
  • edited March 2012
    It's not Flashback, it's Another World. I had that on the SNES. Also, Red Alert, not C&C.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Shit, it is Red Alert. I actually owned Red Alert, and didn't own C&C. True Story.
  • edited March 2012
    It is Blood

Edit: Missed a page, haha.
    Edit 2: Looks like TheWhaleShark answered what I was trying to answer. I only knew it was Blood because of playing it a while back.
    Post edited by canine224 on