This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Something in the .htaccess, maybe?

I checked it and it matches all of the other ones on my other WordPress based domains.

• It could also be the firewall, or the Apache config settings, or any number of other things.
  • I just changed the IP for the afflicted domain.

I thought about the firewall (iptables) but all the other domains work fine with Googlebot. The only thing unique to this domain (aside from all of the hacking attempts) is that it was the only domain using that particular IP address. I know I had a reason for putting it on its own like that but I do not recall what it was.

Regardless, in a few days the change will propagate through DNS and I will just have to wait and see if that fixes it. Since I moved it to a shared IP that Googlebot works on if the trouble follows I will have to take more drastic steps.
  • 2bfree said:

God I hope there are still decent Thinkpads available when my current one dies. Decent laptops are becoming a boutique item.

The current Dell XPS line is really quite good. Everyone seems to mention how awesome it looks, they are then surprised that it has an i7 and when they hear the price they are dumbfounded.

The Lenovo thinkpads are not as good as they use to be but are fine choices if you have access to the US 1920x1080 resolution screens (everywhere else they seem to be selling them at 1366x768.

Most Linux users are using Lenovos and Dells ranging from KDE, Mint and Ubuntu.

I don't mind Windows 8 I find it useful with a touch screen especially for maths problems. However I've turned most of the other touch features off for the OS.

However the start menu is fully coming back in June / July.
  • AWS, Linode, Digital Ocean.

I don't need this to do any heavy lifting. Give me a reason to pick one of these over the others. Or suggest something else if it's better, but these are the ones that spring to mind. I can get a free year of EC2 micro or whatever.
  • Found a Trojan ony computer and not the sexy type.

I don't get it anymore. I have antivirus and antimalware along with rootkit detectors on my PC and I still end up with this crap? I don't even go to questionable websites anymore. I hardly even use my PC other than for gaming and working on my server. Which likely explains how my server was getting hacked.

Now I know why old people become Luddites.
  • I just had to screenshare with my parents computer over iChat(Messages) while my mom was on the phone with me to help them load movies onto my nephew's iPad.

I finished up after a half hour on the phone starting at 9:45pm, hung up the phone, and announced to my wife that "they should not be allowed to own a fucking computer". I think I had turned the volume down on their computer so they couldn't hear me on both the phone and the computer speakers but I'm not 100% certain.

I wasn't logged out of the screen share when I made my announcement.

Shit.
  • Is dreamhost still the best for web hosting?
  • If you want your own hosting you probably want a VPS, right? No complaints about Linode here. Digital ocean is another big one, but I don't have any experience with them.
  • I don't need a vps. This is just a website for my dad's home business.
  • So you want e.g. Wordpress hosting?
  • pretty much
  • edited August 2014
    Can anyone recommend a good card reader for a desktop computer? I bought a Rosewill one a few years ago and nearly all the ports on it have died. First, the microSD slot died, but the SD slot still worked and I could use an adapter. Now, both are dead and this thing is pretty much useless.

Edit: This one looks pretty nifty but it's also pretty pricey. http://www.amazon.ca/Media-Dashboard-Front-Panel-Reader/dp/B00BH02GPY/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407099168&sr=1-7&keywords=internal+card+reader Does M2 mean microSD?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I just use the SD card readers built into my monitors. If you need a really good one, just get whatever you can find on Newegg with 5 eggs or Amazon with 5 stars.
  • I got a USB one a few years ago for about $20 that works just fine. I honestly have looked for one since then, but I don't see a pressing need to get some sort of built-in one (unless it comes with a bunch of other useful ports out of convenience).
  • Pegu said:

Can anyone recommend a good card reader for a desktop computer? I bought a Rosewill one a few years ago and nearly all the ports on it have died. First, the microSD slot died, but the SD slot still worked and I could use an adapter. Now, both are dead and this thing is pretty much useless.

I bought this one, it's worked perfectly every time I used it. $6, top rated on Amazon & USB 3.0.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407178461&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+sd+reader
  • I don't have any front-facing usb 3.0 ports. That's why I like the one that provides some. I'm also looking for an internal card reader.
  • Well, if you're getting some front-facing USB ports along with your card reader, okay, I can get with that.
  • Is there any way to get around credits that can only be used on stuff sold by amazon?
  • Pegu said:

Is there any way to get around credits that can only be used on stuff sold by amazon?

Buy Amazon gift cards?
  • Was gonna suggest this but it seems unlikely they'd leave the only obvious loophole open. Worth a try, probably, but be careful during checkout to make sure the credit is actually being applied.
  • Tried that. No luck.
  • Somehow my gmail account is getting spam. The annoying kind with no unsubscribe link, different subjects every time, and from different senders/domains each time. What is the best way to keep this from coming in? It's already being sent to the spam folder, but I don't want to see it at all; it makes me irrationally angry because I'm usually very careful about putting my email address out there and I don't know where they got it from.
  • UncleUlty said:

It's already being sent to the spam folder

I don't want to see it at all

These are one and the same.
  • UncleUlty said:

Somehow my gmail account is getting spam. The annoying kind with no unsubscribe link, different subjects every time, and from different senders/domains each time. What is the best way to keep this from coming in? It's already being sent to the spam folder, but I don't want to see it at all; it makes me irrationally angry because I'm usually very careful about putting my email address out there and I don't know where they got it from.

Just don't click the spam folder.

As long as you report spam messages as 'report as spam', this makes sure Gmail will filter these messages. They have a global black list which require many people reporting an email address as spam and there is a user specific one which is what you are looking at.
  • edited July 2015
    I have a coax cable coming out of the wall into my cable box. I have an HDMI coming out of my cable box into my tv. I have an HDMI coming out of my computer into my tv.

I want the HDMI to go from my cable box to my computer to my tv. For the DVRs and such.

What is the best way to do this in 2015? My mobo has HDMI in.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • You need an HDMI capture card. I don't know if this is a good one, it's just the first one that showed up in a search. You need a product in this category.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

Also, HDPC is going to be a problem. The HDMI signal coming out of the cable box has copy protection. You need to pass it through something that removes that copy protection.

The rumor is that there are certain HDMI splitters that will strip HDCP. The reviews on such products are inconsistent and offer contradictory claims. I don't think there's any way to get a real answer besides doing it yourself. Here is an example of a splitter that some people claim works. I don't know if it does or not.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-VHD-1X2MN3D/dp/B004F9LVXC
  • 90 bucks! Well, I guess I'll just keep my current setup. Boo HDMI.
  • Can you just split the coax off to your computer and get a normal tuner?