This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Starfox said:

90 bucks! Well, I guess I'll just keep my current setup. Boo HDMI.

An actual DVR costs way more than that...
  • Also, unless you buy a very expensive capture card with hardware passthrough, you'll introduce significant lag.
  • Starfox said:

I have a coax cable coming out of the wall into my cable box. I have an HDMI coming out of my cable box into my tv. I have an HDMI coming out of my computer into my tv.

I want the HDMI to go from my cable box to my computer to my tv. For the DVRs and such.

What is the best way to do this in 2015? My mobo has HDMI in.

You could replace your cable box with something like the HD Homerun PRIME. With the discount you get from your cable company for bringing your own equipment and not renting their shitty box, the cost of the device will even out over time. As a bonus, you could use your network to stream TV to a laptop in another room.
  • Am I reading this right? It's a cable box replacement, and it turns your computer into a dvr, and it can stream wirelessly?

That sounds like... not really any downsides. Anybody here have one?
  • Homerun PRIME sounds aweso--
    It is not compatible with . . . AT&T U-verse
    ...Fuck.
  • Starfox said:

Am I reading this right? It's a cable box replacement, and it turns your computer into a dvr, and it can stream wirelessly?

That sounds like... not really any downsides. Anybody here have one?

I've had one for the past year, ever since I was offered a promotional rate for adding television service to my previously internet-only cable package, which was $5/month cheaper. The catch was they would only provide an HD cable box for a $10/month fee. There's also an unadvertised discount you get from cable companies to bring your own equipment. I'm currently paying the same amount of money for Internet+basic cable w/ HBO than I would be paying for internet-only after the promotional rate expired a few months back.

It will not actually stream wirelessly itself, but can be accessed through a wireless network if it is plugged into a wireless network. Since you need to have your cable modem near the cable connection anyway, it's probably easily dropped into your existing wireless router setup. You do also have to be very careful with your cable company when you set up your own equipment, to make sure they don't mess up your service or your bill.
  • The olds at my job mail around Word docs and Excel spreadsheets as attachments.

What's the best way to have ~20 people collaborate on documents? Google docs. But the cloud is not an option, so Google docs is out. So what's the best self-hosted way to have ~20 people collaborate on documents?
  • Starfox said:

The olds at my job mail around Word docs and Excel spreadsheets as attachments.

What's the best way to have ~20 people collaborate on documents? Google docs. But the cloud is not an option, so Google docs is out. So what's the best self-hosted way to have ~20 people collaborate on documents?

Git.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Git.
    That's mean, he's just asking a question.

• Maybe git, but only if people are writing flat text documents (e.g., using markdown). Wiki can also work, but not if everyone is writing at once.

For Word docs, what I've seen is separating the doc into assigned chunks with somebody getting the job of merging them into a near final copy, which then gets serial edits.
  • Apreche said:

Git.

Would be my ideal solution, but
    okeefe said:

Maybe git, but only if people are writing flat text documents (e.g., using markdown).

They're not.
    Wiki can also work, but not if everyone is writing at once.

For Word docs, what I've seen is separating the doc into assigned chunks with somebody getting the job of merging them into a near final copy, which then gets serial edits.
    Wiki would be better than what we're doing right now. As I google some more, I see OwnCloud looks like what I was hoping for. Anybody have experience with that?
  • Starfox said:

Would Wave in a Box help?
  • Webdav plugins for Word and local hosting.

Or a locally hosted wiki. If you must avoid the cloud, they all suck, but they do exist. Try Twiki wiki.
  • Depends on the size of the company but if you had lots of funds or wanted to scale, set up Microsoft Private Cloud and then use Microsoft Office 365 on your own servers.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll see what I can do.
  • Me too, even though I haven't seen any hardware errors on the scans I've done, most of the settings were on old age and a couple pre-fail even though all the numbers looked good on my drives. Any mechanical drive recommendations?
  • WD Green or Blue
  • I ordered two extra 120mm case fans for my Antec three hundred two (comes with two outward pointing fans at the back and rear of the top). My current plan is to put them in the front pointing to blow air from front to back and bring it to a near neutral pressure to cut down on the crazy dust I'm getting. Should I flip the rear fans and go totally positive pressure? Is there some other configuration I should do?
  • I'd say you're doing good by going balanced, just make sure it's leaning a bit towards positive. Also, make sure all your intake fans are filtered. If your case doesn't have filters, some panythose will do.
  • It's virtually impossible to make the antec 300 case neutral without heavy modifications.
    Positive pressure only means that there is more air being pulled into the case than the ability to push it out so it should already be running at positive.
    Positive pressure doesn't work unless you have filters on all fans.

Regardless I would set up the case with the 2 fans at the front as intakes, the top and back fans as exhausts and side door fan as an intake as well. Depending on your CPU cooler you could make the rear or the top an intake as well but you don't really need it.
  • Working on building an htpc for my wife. Would I need a separate speaker setup if I hooked it up via HDMI? Not sure if the sound would get passed through a graphics card into the TV.
  • Dubyaz said:

Working on building an htpc for my wife. Would I need a separate speaker setup if I hooked it up via HDMI? Not sure if the sound would get passed through a graphics card into the TV.

Yes, sound goes over HDMI. Just set the HDMI output as the default audio output in the OS mixer.
  • Okay, thanks :smiley:
  • I need to get a modem and router for my place in the next two weeks. My roommate is leaving, and with him goes the internet. I'm already looking into local ISP's, and I'd rather avoid the hassle of renting something from them. So what do you all use at home?
  • I'm using a router I got for like $3 at a thrift shop, and I just got another one pretty much new in box at the same place a couple weeks ago.
  • Assuming it's a cable modem you're after, Motorola SB6141 is good. More expensive than the cheapest cheapest one, but you're not paying the evil ISP to rent one, so you come out ahead no matter what.
  • I usually separate my router from my modem so that if I need to change my modem or the modem gets fried for whatever reason I can just change that or if I need a router/switch with the newest WiFi I replace that part. However it is handy to have an all in one too.
    I usually go with the company Billion, they have been reliable for me since I switched to them.
  • So... overclocking.

Running Witcher 3, I'm going between 30~45 fps with my cpu in the low 60's and my gpu going between 45~62. Also, two of my case fans aren't even spinning because I'm waiting on a fan hub and I have a 212+ in the mail so those should drop further. I think I'd really benefit from overclocking.

Is overclocking actually worthwhile if your system can handle it? I'm running a Gigabyte 970 Windforce and a 4690K, btw.
  • I know some CPU's are fine to overclock nowadays because they're often factory underclocked to lower power consumption or because they were binned higher ghz that weren't quite fast enough, or due to overstock being used in cheaper PC's. Not sure about GPU's but I've had my my temps definitely be higher than that and I don't have anything overclocked so you could probably just over clock little bit to be safe.