This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Overclocking CPUs is a hobby, most modern CPUs will take advantage of colder temperatures and clock up themselves.
    Video cards you can definitely overclock especially the manufacturers who make custom heatsinks, just inch forward till fans get too loud some overclocking suites will also do the overclocking for you, I think the EVGA and MSI software has this option.

Both parts are fine to run as long as they are below 100 C.
    Intel 4690K is very easy to overclock.
    I haven't had a look at the 970 Gigabyte specifically but many 970s can run at higher memory can core clocks.
  • What would be the best Linux distribution to introduce someone to Linux who has never used a text based OS. My brother wants to learn, he is technically minded and knows how to code in C++.

Would Archlinux be too overwhelming, just give him Ubuntu with Unity, Ubuntu with Cinnamon, Xubuntu, KDE?
  • If you're going to give him Ubuntu, give him Linux Mint instead. No advertisement shenanigans.
  • I've been using Linux Mint mate for a few years now and I like it, especially since its basically Gnome 2. There is a bit of a memory leak if you leave it on for a long time so I usually restart every few days, but I also only have 2 gigs of ram so it probably won't matter to him. Otherwise I really like it. Don't bother with the hobbyist distro's, they're for people with really specific wants/needs or just ricers. I also recommend installing Guake terminal. Its really handy to be able to just press F12 and pop down the terminal. I use it literally every day.
  • I'm looking for a program that allows multiple users to edit or comment on a shared document simultaneously and is secure for corporate use.

I want to use Google Docs at work, but I need a program that's "more secure" than Google Docs.
  • Wyatt said:

I'm looking for a program that allows multiple users to edit or comment on a shared document simultaneously and is secure for corporate use.

I want to use Google Docs at work, but I need a program that's "more secure" than Google Docs.

There are basically no solutions that are even close to as good as Google Docs. Maybe use some Windows WebDAV stuff with Office? I don't know how well that even works with new versions of office.

Or, run a wiki internally. You'll need to set up and run the server and maintain the software. Also bear in mind that most of the providers of wiki software are uninterested in supporting internal installs as they move to a SaaS model.

• Wyatt said:

I'm looking for a program that allows multiple users to edit or comment on a shared document simultaneously and is secure for corporate use.

In what way is Google Docs insecure? How about Microsoft Word? You don't have many options here.
  • edited August 2015
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • We use Confluence to handle documentation of our projects, but it's not cheap, and it takes some getting used to for people who aren't tech savvy.
  • So if I wanted to switch from Windows to a Linux distribution should I stick to Ubuntu or Mint or is there an even more Babby's First Linux?
  • edited August 2015
    Go with Mint. But, more to the point, why switch?
  • Go with Mint. But, more to the point, why switch?

I don't really have an adequate reason. Kinda just feel like it.
  • Just use Mint. I'm really not a big fan of Ubuntu Unity which is probably the most babby's first. Last time I used it the interface really seemed more form over function and it seems a lot more bloated.
  • sK0pe said:

What would be the best Linux distribution to introduce someone to Linux who has never used a text based OS. My brother wants to learn, he is technically minded and knows how to code in C++.

Would Archlinux be too overwhelming, just give him Ubuntu with Unity, Ubuntu with Cinnamon, Xubuntu, KDE?

Arch isn't awful but there is definitely a steep learning curve.
  • Learn it to do what?

Linux is primarily a dev or a server tool. I'd stick him on any distro, but CLI only.
  • Apreche said:

In what way is Google Docs insecure?

Sure, we know it's as good or better than anything else, but They are scared of "my butt the Cloud". Same issue I was looking for an answer to a couple weeks ago.
  • Andrew said:

LFS

Well that would definitely be good for learning, but for general use is probably more work than necessary. And just installing a basic distro and using that to learn programming and whatnot might be more productive than learning how to build a distro exactly how you want it. I have considered doing something similar though with Tiny Core Linux on a really old thinkpad off of a flash drive, but I'll probably just find a good lightweight distro and actually buy a hard drive for it.

As for Google docs, it depends on what you need it for. For collaboration its good but if you just want documents in the cloud, using your word processor of choice + whatever cloud storage services is fine.

• I need to replace my PC speakers. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at two Logitech 5.1 sets.
  • edited August 2015
    What speakers are you looking at? Also, I have to ask, do you even really need 5.1? Can a full 5.1 system be properly set up in where ever you're going to use it? If you're not sitting on a couch, watching a movie, then 2.1 might be better for you.
  • These two: X-530 and Z-5300e.

And I probably don't need 5.1. I've been using a cheapo "5.1" Logitech set for 7 years now, so my immediate thought was to replace it with another 5.1 set.

I'll be using it at my computer desk.
  • Thanks.
  • Anyone have any brand recommendations for mSata ssd's?
  • edited September 2015

Anyone have any brand recommendations for mSata ssd's?

Newegg likes Crucial, Samsung, Intel, the usual brands. I doubt it matters that much.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So we were talking about routers since Google is making one. Right now I have a WNDR3700

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr3700.aspx

The thing is, my most used wireless device is my iPhone, and I'm going to get a new iPad soon to replace my broken one. They both support ac, and the router I have only supports up to n. Is ac that much faster than n such that it is worth it to replace my perfectly good router?
  • What is wireless bandwidth a bottleneck for?

Supposing you had ~double your current wifi bandwidth, what would you use it for?
  • The only time wireless bandwidth did not cut it for me was when setting up my TiVo and antenna. You can stream from the DVR box to other TV with TiVo minis, or to any smart device with the TiVo app (both inside and outside your home). Shit just did not work well until I ran some Ethernet cable. New TiVo was just announced and now it has ac wifi, so I guess they did realize the need for speed.
  • Starfox said:

What is wireless bandwidth a bottleneck for?

Supposing you had ~double your current wifi bandwidth, what would you use it for?

Is it double? Is ac that much better? I watch a lot of video on my phone/tablet in bed, and it is not always coming through in HD.