This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Another example of why its better to keep your data on another partition/Hard Drive when possible.
    Not really. If the hard drive is ever accessible to the infected OS, it can be infected as well. Really, the only way to be sure is to nuke all the attached hard drives once you've been infected.

What keeping your data on another partition/hard drive does allow for is nuking the OS drive in cases where you aren't infected by malware, but may need to reformat/reinstall for other reasons such as a corrupt file system/OS installation/etc.
  • edited August 2013
    I'm interested in the effectiveness of using malware removal from inside a boot-disc.
    You could wipe the OS system and use the boot-disc go over media if you want to be extra sure.

Also wondering what the risks of infection by LAN are.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • This is (one reason) why remote backup exists.
  • I'm interested in the effectiveness of using malware removal from inside a boot-disc.
    You could wipe the OS system and use the boot-disc go over media if you want to be extra sure.

Also wondering what the risks of infection by LAN are.
    Depends on the nature of the malware. Some of the widest spread malware in history, such as Code Red, could spread by WAN and, therefore, by LAN as well.

Your standard issue "run an infected/bad executable to infect your hard drive" malware probably wouldn't spread by LAN unless you actually have writable shares mounted. Even then, the amount of damage they could do would probably be limited as your typical network attached file share doesn't offer the kind of low-level access necessary to permanently embed itself in the OS/boot sector/whatever. Both NFS and CIFS (AKA Windows file sharing) basically only allow file-level access and the protocols won't let you access low-level file system data structures or even non-exported directories.

This is, of course, assuming the malware is mostly using stock I/O routines and isn't taking advantage of security holes to bypass system security. If it has code that specifically targets the Windows file sharing service to bypass the limitations of the protocol and the version of Windows you're running on your file sharing machine is vulnerable, then all bets are off.
    This is (one reason) why remote backup exists.
    Yep. At roughly about $60/year for unlimited remote backup, it's pretty reasonably priced.
  • I need to get enterprise awesome at Red Hat in as little time as possible. What reading materials would you guys suggest?
  • After finally hearing back from Alienware support, I discovered I have a LN XFX 680i SLI motherboard. The reason I was inquiring was to look at CPU upgrade options.

Turns out the best it can support is a QX6850. They're selling for ~$250.

Not sure if its worth it or just try to save up for a whole new machine. Thoughts?
  • Completely not worth it. Save up for a whole new machine.
  • Anyone have any advice for setting up sort of a LAN TV station w/ multiple channels? We currently broadcast two cable channels and an announcement channel over an analog cable system here at work, and I'd like to move it over to some kind of network solution. I'd need a system that lets you stream files on a loop, add to the playlist on the fly, and also stream from capture cards. I'd also love to do this from one (Windows) machine.

I've looked into only two things so far really:

VLC streaming - drops playback when changing tracks in a playlist for some weird reason, but would otherwise work really well. There seems to be no solution for streaming multiple files, or just scanning a directory for playback.

Wowza Media Server - similar to Adobe Media Server, looks like some complex shit to get up and running, but I could probably do it given enough time. Not really sure my coworker would be able to work with this system, though, which is unfortunately a problem. I think this would work well, though, and also give us a ton of flexibility in the future. Anyone have experience with this or Adobe MS?

Anyone know of any software specifically designed for this sort of thing? Wowza and Adobe MS seem geared more towards large scale, professional webcasting and on-demand streaming; I really just need some fairly simple shit going on here.
  • So my Logitech MX Laser wireless mouse that I've had for something 7 or 8 years apparently has given up the ghost. It charges up fine but no longer tracks. I'm currently using my little laptop mouse until I figure out what to replace it with.

I'm thinking about a Logitech M510, but I was wondering if anybody here had any favorites.
  • I had a Logitech VX that served me well for many years until it took one too many falls and it had to be retired. Its a more niche use, but I really like the M515 couch mouse. Besides on my laptop on the couch, its good for using on my desktop while I'm in bed. I also have an m505 Laser and M305 which work fine but they're pretty basic. If you get a logitech, make sure its one with the unifying plug so that way it'll work with a keyboard or just another mouse in case you lose one.
  • I just got a Windows 8 ultrabook with bluetooth. Any suggestions for a bluetooth mouse?
  • Try my Logitech M555b, next time I'm over.
  • edited August 2013
    So my Logitech MX Laser wireless mouse that I've had for something 7 or 8 years apparently has given up the ghost. It charges up fine but no longer tracks. I'm currently using my little laptop mouse until I figure out what to replace it with.

I'm thinking about a Logitech M510, but I was wondering if anybody here had any favorites.
    I quite like the Razer DeathAdder, but I guess you want a wireless mouse again?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Omnutia: Too expensive.
    lackofcheese: Not Bluetooth.
  • edited August 2013
    Local computer store had a bunch of them for $15.

And then they closed down.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So my Logitech MX Laser wireless mouse that I've had for something 7 or 8 years apparently has given up the ghost. It charges up fine but no longer tracks. I'm currently using my little laptop mouse until I figure out what to replace it with.

I quite like the Razer DeathAdder, but I guess you want a wireless mouse again?
    Yeah, going with wireless, at least this time around. I don't exactly have a gaming PC at the moment, so I don't need a fancy gaming mouse. When I do build a fancy gaming PC, I'll probably go with gaming mouse. Anker got good reviews on Amazon and only came in at like $30
  • edited August 2013
    Omnutia: Too expensive.
    lackofcheese: Not Bluetooth.
    Sorry, I was answering Lou.

As far as Bluetooth mice go, the ones that seem to be good are:
    - Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
    - Razer Orochi
    - Logitech M555b
    - Logitech V470

The Microsoft one is probably the most reasonably priced.

Also, a lot of Bluetooth mice tend to have a relatively small form factor, so if that bothers you you'll want to watch out for it.

On the whole, you'll probably also want to consider normal wireless mice, unless that extra USB port is essential.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, I'm going with normal wireless. It's what I've had so far and my keyboard has a built-in USB hub anyway.
  • CODE keyboards. Cherry MX clear, SWITCH CAPS LOCK WITH CTRL. $150. Best keyboard?
  • Eh, I don't know if I'd want to blow that much on a keyboard.
  • CODE keyboards. Cherry MX clear, SWITCH CAPS LOCK WITH CTRL. $150. Best keyboard?
    Esc still too far away.
  • For some reason I can't see any embedded you tube videos in forums from my firefox browser but youtube itself works fine. Any ideas what is going on?
  • Possibly a noscript/flashblock type-deal has youtube.com whitelisted?
  • Windows updates fail on my computer. Win 8. Some go through, but most fail. Seems drivers in particular. I have the same serial on two different computers on the same LAN, but it has never complained. The older of the two computers sharing serial is the one that can't receive updates.

Also, any good utility for migrating from HDD to SSD+HDD? Such that Windows is re-installed, but new Windows is still aware of your old home folder and programs/appdata content/shortcuts etc?
  • edited September 2013
    Also, any good utility for migrating from HDD to SSD+HDD? Such that Windows is re-installed, but new Windows is still aware of your old home folder and programs/appdata content/shortcuts etc?
    I just manually made symbolic links to the appropriate folders.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I didn't even know Windows did symbolic links...
  • It didn't until Vista.
    Yep. In fact, it's what early steam game moving software did to move-but-not-really your steam games.

It does funny things with folder size estimations if you don't do it right, though.
    Yup. I have steam installed on my SSD and I symlink /D (/D makes it a directory link) the steamapps folder to my 4tb HD. Runs great for me so far.
    Yup. I have steam installed on my SSD and I symlink /D (/D makes it a directory link) the steamapps folder to my 4tb HD. Runs great for me so far.
    A symbolic link isn't necessary because Steam allows you to choose different locations to install different games.