This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Pegu said:

I'm trying to hook up my TV's optical audio out to my speaker's 3.5mm audio in. How would I do this? I wasn't expecting the TV to only have digital out.

You'd need this.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Pegu said:

I'm trying to hook up my TV's optical audio out to my speaker's 3.5mm audio in. How would I do this? I wasn't expecting the TV to only have digital out.

You need a digital to analog converter with an amplifier. You know, a receiver.
  • edited March 2016
  • Your link doesn't work properly for me, but from a similar product:
    NOTE: Since HDMI is digital signal and RCA is analog signal, in order for the cable to function well, Please confirm that the HDMI source output devices support digital to analog signal conversion function. If you aren't sure whether your devices have analog signal conversion function, please kindly check with your user manual or contact us confirm it before purchasing, we will reply you as soon as possible.
    So no, unless your HDMI output specifically supports this, which you can probably assume is no.
  • I know things like that usually don't work in most cases and some are probably just trying to scam people who don't know any better with a cheap product but I've used a dvi to vga adapter plenty of times on my desktop. I'm pretty sure its just a pin adapter not an active converter so is it safe to assume most video cards can handle the signal conversion?
  • edited March 2016
  • edited March 2016
    Pegu said:

Yeah dvi to vga works with dvi-i

Yes, all the pins required for VGA can be found within the DVI connector, so a dumb adapter just works.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Pegu said:

Yes, all the pins required for VGA can be found within the DVI connector, so a dumb adapter just works.
    Not dvi-d though.
  • Pegu said:

Apreche said:

Pegu said:

Not dvi-d though.
    I had never known there was more than one kind of DVI until just now.
  • edited March 2016
    My graphics card has both so I can only plug vga into one of the dvi ports. It's weird.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Since analog audio is passive, theoretically you could plug 2 inputs into the holes of this thing and use the jack as your output, right? http://www.amazon.com/HengSheng-6-35mm-Stereo-Splitter-Adaptor/dp/B01CCYMI38/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1459371797&sr=8-12&keywords=2+6.35mm+mono+to+1+6.35mm+stereo
  • It might be ok but I've had issues with splitters lowering the volume and quality quite a bit. Doesn't your device have multiple line ins? Might be better off getting a cheaper decent usb sound card if its for a pc.
  • @Greg 's audio interface only does 1 channel per track or something and we're trying to figure out how to get stereo.
  • Yeah I bought this to record guitars and XLR mics, which works fine for that purpose. The issue is my new, nicer turntable needs an external preamp, and my amp only has a single 1/4 inch output. That output is stereo but the interface puts it all into the left or right channel depending on which I plug it into, so I need a single 1/4 inch stereo male to dual 1/4 inch stereo male.
  • Isn't it dual mono to single stereo?
  • edited March 2016
    Other way around. The amp puts out single stereo, the Focusrite box takes in dual mono.

EDIT: I think we can use this in combination with a normal 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch cable.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Yeah that would probably work. I used to have old game systems that had stereo audio hooked up to a tv with a mono speaker and I used an 2 female to 1 male Y adapter to get both audio channels in and it seemed to work, but this is actually meant for that sort of thing.
  • Best way to back up DBs for a django app?
  • Starfox said:

Best way to back up DBs for a django app?

Django ha anything to do with database backups. What database are you using?
  • Ok, best place to programmatically back up files. The files happen to be db dumps.
  • You could write a script to periodically (or in response to something else, not sure what your needs are) create database dumps and transfer them to a storage solution like Amazon S3.
  • Starfox said:

Ok, best place to programmatically back up files. The files happen to be db dumps.

Da cloud.
  • Can I keep my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi signals listed with the same Name and Password or should I separate the 2 out?

I've got Verizon Fios. The tech support guy seemed pretty insistent that I split them up, but I'm not sure that I need to do that. They are currently the same, and I'm not having any noticeable issues.
  • edited June 2016
    What is/are the best free tool(s) for posting to multiple social media accounts simultaneously (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn specifically)? Form what I can tell based on my somewhat limited research, there isn't a single free tool that updates all of these, but I am willing to use a couple of them in order to cut down on postings for a professional organization with which I work.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • What is/are the best free tool(s) for posting to multiple social media accounts simultaneously (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn specifically)? Form what I can tell based on my somewhat limited research, there isn't a single free tool that updates all of these, but I am willing to use a couple of them in order to cut down on postings for a professional organization with which I work.

There used to be more tools like this because all you could post was text. Nowadays all the different social media places have different input formats and restrictions for emoji, media attachments, Twitter has polls now, etc. You can only write 140 chars on Twitter, but write an essay on Facebook. The result is that you can't easily send the same content to all the different networks.

The best bet is to write your message once in a text editor. Then open a bunch of tabs and paste, send, paste, send.
  • What is/are the best free tool(s) for posting to multiple social media accounts simultaneously (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn specifically)? Form what I can tell based on my somewhat limited research, there isn't a single free tool that updates all of these, but I am willing to use a couple of them in order to cut down on postings for a professional organization with which I work.

IFTTT might be able to help with some of what you're looking for.

Posting from Twitter allows your 140 character message to go to Facebook properly (however direct messages also end up being mirrored).
    Google+ has a closed API as far as I know which makes it difficult even though the posts look the best there.
    Linked In, I'm not sure of as there is a very different crowd there.

As JettisonJoe has indicated you would have to write some programmatic logic to allow for posting.
  • Is there a good program to manage TV shows/movies for Windows? Something like iTunes but for video?
  • Ikatono said:

Is there a good program to manage TV shows/movies for Windows? Something like iTunes but for video?

I just use the filesystem

• iTunes does do video.