This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• edited June 2016
    I use the file system but I use Plex for easy streaming to the HTPC and keeping track of where I paused days/weeks later.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Ikatono said:

Is there a good program to manage TV shows/movies for Windows? Something like iTunes but for video?

It's kinda torrent-centric but DuckieTV maybe? Or Kodi
  • Rym said:

Ikatono said:

Is there a good program to manage TV shows/movies for Windows? Something like iTunes but for video?

I just use the filesystem

Same, but I was hoping for something to organize shows graphically, scrape show descriptions online, maybe with a plug-in for MAL integration... Doesn't seem to exist though.
  • Kodi works the best for me, just dump the files into appropriately named folders, Kodi scrapes databases on the Internet, finds the names, can download subtitles on the fly and TV show images.
  • sK0pe said:

Kodi works the best for me, just dump the files into appropriately named folders, Kodi scrapes databases on the Internet, finds the names, can download subtitles on the fly and TV show images.

Plex does everything you just said with the exception of subtitles, which it has options for, I've just not needed them. It's db is extensive, as it's managed to instantly recognize many of my 1960s Italian movies, and my kdrama. It's more than capable of keeping up with anime and popular shows.
  • My bookmarks bar is getting pretty unwieldy. Is delicious still a thing?
  • Pegu said:

My bookmarks bar is getting pretty unwieldy. Is delicious still a thing?

No, delicious is dead. https://pinboard.in is the way to go.
  • Ech, money. Poor punk kid in college.
  • edited June 2016
    Pegu said:

Ech, money. Poor punk kid in college.

$11 a YEAR? That's too much? Seriously? Go to Chipotle one less time this week.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I find $11 in change in a given year.

Back when I couldn't afford food, I could afford $11/year.
  • Ok, so I'm pretty desperate at this point, so I'm breaking and asking for help. I hope this is something pretty easy, but I'm not enough of a windows guy to know this.

So I've got a web application running on tomcat. Normally a restart of tomcat takes about 10 minutes, what with all the nonsense it has to do loading the webapp mapping stuff to other stuff. Anyway, I was updating the webapp (to an untested version like 8 versions ahead of our current because someone had a demo) and, and I modified context.xml to add some new resource tags. I backed up the old context.xml in case something went wrong.

Something went wrong, Tomcat starts in 30 seconds, has way less log files (the ones it's missing are the ones our app generates) and our apps homepage 404s now (this is all an internal server btw, everything really important is fine.) Naturally I restored the file I modified to it's original state. But I'm still having this problem.

More succinctly, what could cause tomcat to not load an application? I can give as much info as you like. In addition to changing context.xml I also changed a bunch of things within the db the webapp uses to do it's thing, but I don't see how that can affect tomcat loading the webapp at all.

Furthermore, every file I canged, and every db I modified has a backup archived, so a rollback is an option, I just wonder if that will even fix it, this seems a level lower than every change I made outside of context.xml.

Thoughts?
  • Don't use Tomcat or Java. It will honestly be easier to rewrite everything for a modern platform than it will be to fix that shit.
  • edited June 2016
    Well, I figured it out.

What on earth do you suggest over Tomcat? Isn't that basically industry standard?

Also, because reasons, I have pretty much 0 access to the devs, they're in the UK and I only interact with them via support tickets. So rewriting it, like most of your "don't do that" suggestions, isn't an option as much as it's an opinion.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Write your web app in any modern language like Python or Go or Ruby or literally anything that isn't Java. Even Perl is a better choice.
  • How do you know it isn't written in python? I know parts of it are. Can't a python app run on tomcat?
  • Naoza said:

How do you know it isn't written in python? I know parts of it are. Can't a python app run on tomcat?

I'm pretty sure he's recommending you not use TomCat on the backend.

In addition Scott has implicitly recommended you stay away from JavaScript and a MEAN back-end lol ;^) .

Not sure of the use case but something like MEAN, Mercurial or any number of others are valid alternatives for web apps.
    Apreche said:

Even Perl is a better choice.

Let's not go crazy.
  • sK0pe said:

In addition Scott has implicitly recommended you stay away from JavaScript and a MEAN back-end lol ;^) .

He said Java, not JavaScript.
  • We used Tomcat for some bullshit, and I hated it. I made them switch to using jetty for the web server/container and never looked back. Just embedded H2 for the databases, and Lucene for real data.

Tomcat added nothing for us, and no one knew how to maintain/troubleshoot it except me.
  • Naoza said:

Can't a python app run on tomcat?

I've never heard of that. Honestly it's only going to bring you pain down the road. If you have to deploy a Python web app, do it the way everyone else does. Google is your friend.

• Dude, my last job was a backend python dev on a django webapp. It's the stuff I'm doing now that I don't understand, not the stuff I did then.
  • Sure, I get you personally don't have control over it, but why would anyone even want to Python inside tomcat? It just sounds like a nightmare.
  • From what I hear, it is. That part isn't my job, but I hear stories of an implementation of python within java. Jython? Javython? Pyva? Whatever it is it sounds like the worst of both worlds.
  • Jython is a thing, but I'ven't ever used it. Last time I looked, it was up to like Python 2.4, and 2.7 was the real Python version. No thanks.
  • What is/are the best free tool(s) for posting to multiple social media accounts simultaneously (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn specifically)? Form what I can tell based on my somewhat limited research, there isn't a single free tool that updates all of these, but I am willing to use a couple of them in order to cut down on postings for a professional organization with which I work.

Found this today: Buffer. Think it does what you want, but not necessarily free.
  • I feel obliged to point out that most of Google's web servers are written in Java, while highly performance-sensitive ones are C++...
  • I feel obliged to point out that most of Google's web servers are written in Java, while highly performance-sensitive ones are C++...

That's because the original Google was written in Java during a time when that made more sense. If Google were written from scratch today, Java would not be chosen.
  • Didn't they make go for that reason?
  • edited June 2016

I feel obliged to point out that most of Google's web servers are written in Java, while highly performance-sensitive ones are C++...

Yeah but if you're using something like the Guava library, you get to add some of the best parts of C++. Plus creating purpose built data structures can be done within one line (rather than a whole separte or internal class).

I did a Networks project which became insanely easy / comfortable to write - when I imported the Guava library (and efficient).
    Daikun said:

sK0pe said:

He said Java, not JavaScript.
    Look up what "implicit" means.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • So, my desktop PC is now 6 years old, but it gets the job done for me, especially after I popped a new video card in last year with some help from the local Geek Squad. Now, I'm looking at the Newegg July 4th sale and thinking about upgrading from the relatively measly 6 gigs of RAM I have in there to 16, or maybe even keep the old RAM in there and add the 16. Anyway, I have this motherboard in there. I'm struggling to understand what to look for on the RAM's page listing to know that it will work, however. Can anyone help me out?