This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• Interesting... why that guy as opposed to some other mechanical keyboard variation? You probably could save a few bucks by not getting one with illuminated keys, for example.

I honestly was thinking about getting a Unicomp Model M for home, but I read that it has issues with gaming due to the limited key rollover. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably get one as I'm still a huge fan of buckling spring keyboards.

I did read an article about a newer model of Cherry switch that more closely emulates the feel of buckling springs, however. They're going for the same price, roughly, as that Rosewill, last I checked.
  • My Das Keyboard is great, but I'm pretty sure it pulls more voltage than it should from the USB port, and its built-in USB ports are ratchet-ass shit.
  • I never understood the appeal of the Das Keyboard over any other mechanical switch-based keyboard. And yes, I'm a touch typist, so it's not like I need the labeled keycaps either.
  • While I like some buckling sprints for typing, wish the HHK had them, I don't think they are the best for gaming.
  • I've gamed quite a bit with my genuine Model M back in the day, even when it wasn't ideal. About the biggest problem with them was with rollover, but otherwise it was fine.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2013
    I never understood the appeal of the Das Keyboard over any other mechanical switch-based keyboard. And yes, I'm a touch typist, so it's not like I need the labeled keycaps either.
    The feel of the keys is superb, and it has effectively infinite rollover. The form factor is also exactly what I expect (I despise alternate layouts of the Scroll Lock/Home/Delete/etc... area of the keyboard).

I also like the aesthetic of having no labels on the keys.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I never understood the appeal of the Das Keyboard over any other mechanical switch-based keyboard. And yes, I'm a touch typist, so it's not like I need the labeled keycaps either.
    The feel of the keys is superb, and it has effectively infinite rollover. The form factor is also exactly what I expect (I despise alternate layouts of the Scroll Lock/Home/Delete/etc... area of the keyboard).

I also like the aesthetic of having no labels on the keys.

I get the feel of the keyboard being nice (they use mechanical switches, which are always awesome IMHO). Infinite rollover is also good.

The label-free key aesthetic is definitely a matter of personal taste. I've got no problem with it in theory, for example, but I wouldn't pay more for it over a keyboard that's otherwise identical in every other way.
  • The label-free one cost (at least when I bought mine) the same as the labeled one. They sold both.

I'm not buying another one due to the voltage issues I suspect, but mine is going to be fine until someone points me toward the ultimate keyboard.
  • I meant relative to other keyboards using identical switches. If Das Keyboard prices their models identically whether or not they have key labels, that's a bit of a different issue.
  • The Rosewill specifically advertises 6-key rollover.
  • Also, it has two USB connectors. One for the keyboard and one to power the USB hub. Supposedly this avoids the voltage issues of the DAS Keyboard?
  • Also, it has two USB connectors. One for the keyboard and one to power the USB hub. Supposedly this avoids the voltage issues of the DAS Keyboard?
    Hmm... -looks into that keyboard-
  • For some reason Newegg won't ship that keyboard to NY. There is a seller on Amazon named Amamax that will. Not sure what that is all about.

Rosewill Illuminated Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Blue Switch (RK-9100)
  • Apparently it has to do with an e-waste recycling law.

http://earth911.com/news/2010/06/09/new-york-passes-strict-e-waste-law/
  • No ghosting or something to mitigate ghosting is important to me. When I played MMORPGs heavily, I often had enough keys pressed at the same time to trigger ghosting issues.
  • No ghosting or something to mitigate ghosting is important to me. When I played MMORPGs heavily, I often had enough keys pressed at the same time to trigger ghosting issues.
    WTF is ghosting in terms of keyboards? Usually ghosting is something that happens on LCD monitors with low refresh rates.
  • It's something that happens to WoW players. ;^)

Keyboards don't handle too many keys being hit simultaneously well.

I think six is plenty for pretty much any game imaginable.
  • Six is probably pretty fine. Sadly the Unicomps only handle 2, so they're right out.
  • Well, I ordered it. I'll let you guys know how it is. If I don't like it, there may be one for sale.
  • Hmm... now that I reviewed all the different Cherry switches, I may want something with the MX Browns instead of the Greens. I like a loud, clicky keyboard as much as anyone who once used a Model M, but my spousal overunit doesn't. I think the Browns may be the best compromise. Anyone here have a keyboard with Browns that they can comment on?
  • So that keyboard showed up. Haven't tried it out yet. Just want to report on the deal with Newegg not shipping to NY. I bought it through Amazon from a 3rd party seller named Amamax. It came in a Newegg Box with a Newegg receipt. Th eonly difference is that the obvious Newegg receipt has Rosewill logos instead of Newegg. Strong evidence that Amamax is Newegg selling through Amazon.

I think six is plenty for pretty much any game imaginable.
    The problem is also which six keys due to the keyboards internal layout. Two directions, spacebar, shift, control, and some number of random numbers were all being spammed in some specific configuration at some specific time all to control subtle little adjustments or attacks. It wasn't a constant issue, but I did legitimately have issues with it where some particular key would cause my computer to beep instead of doing anything useful.

• Anyway, these cherry switches are amazing. It's taking a little getting used to things that are different from the HHK. Backspace and Esc are much further away. I keep hitting ] or \ when I mean to hit backspace and ` instead of Esc. Other than that, now I REALLY want an HHK with cherry switches. I might even make one.
  • Also annoying. With Windows 7 I had to use a registry editor to turn caps lock into control. Linux and Mac have an option for this in the GUI. HHK it was unnecessary. I haven't had to do this since I got my laptop. Things still have not changed.
  • Wow, I did not realize how un-used to standard layouts I have become. The only keyboards I have used for the past X years are HHKs and my laptop keyboard.
  • Now I just really want to type things.
  • edited April 2013
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You just KNOW there is some crazy Japanese guy who can ace that game typing on both keyboards at once.
  • Yo there's an arcade I've been frequenting in LA's Little Tokyo that has that.