This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• edited May 2012
    So, my internet at home is shared between two apartments (since the landlord pays for it). I have the fastest consumer Time Warner Cable (FIOS isn't in my neighborhood yet), so it's normally pretty fast (50/5Mb). Trouble is, about 2 months ago I started experiencing horrible lag when playing videogames online. Nothing had changed with my computer (which is a new, upper-middle range PC), and no settings in the games were changed.

I have my wifi split into two WPA2-protected LANs, so my computers are separate from roommates/neighbors/guests. The other night I straight-up turned off the "guest" network, and things were blazing fast. My router doesn't do QoS, and I don't think there's a way to see individual computers' bandwidth usages without sticking a computer between the router and the modem, so I'm not sure what exactly is causing these issues.

What's the best course of action at this point? What could be causing games to be slow, without affecting torrents/streaming video/etc? I'm thinking major uploading, like torrent seeding or running a server? What do you think?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • It could be anything. Someone is clearly connected to your guest network and using lots of Internet. Why are you having Internet payed for by the landlord? I would never do such a thing. Insist on getting your own Internet.
  • If I knew for certain that I was going to be living here for 1+ more years, I'd start looking around for my own connection. Unfortunately, Time Warner pretty much has a monopoly in North Brooklyn. Verizon's fastest plan in my area is 15Mb. Are there any other ISPs in NYC?
  • If I knew for certain that I was going to be living here for 1+ more years, I'd start looking around for my own connection. Unfortunately, Time Warner pretty much has a monopoly in North Brooklyn. Verizon's fastest plan in my area is 15Mb. Are there any other ISPs in NYC?
    Cablevision, RCN, etc. Really, you are limited by your building more than by the city. Lots of people I know get the wireless-only Mi-Fi cards and use that for everything. It's great if you never play games.
  • If you talk directly to the cable company about getting your own connection, they would probably be amenable.
  • edited May 2012
    Cablevision is also 15Mb, and RCN doesn't go to my address. I'm chatting with Time Warner now, but they want nearly $100/mo for a 50Mb connection. I'm really getting tired of American ISPs (besides the wonderful and angelic Sonic in San Francisco).

EDIT: Are there any options besides getting a whole other connection? Maybe some kind of MAC-based bandwidth limiter? I'm not so hot on my network admining, though I'm furiously googling. Tomato doesn't seem to work with any modern (n) routers...
  • There are absolutely ways to control bandwidth. But will your landlord/lease allow you to do that?
  • There's nothing against it in the lease, and I own the router. If I stick a WRT54G behind it and use that for the roommate/neighbor/guest wifi, then do some slight bandwidth limiting on that, would I have problems? I'm worried about NAT issues over two routers. Would bridge mode on the 54G compromise my personal network's security?
  • You can chain routers, it may require some configuration to do so (static route between the two or such) but it's not difficult. It shouldn't require anything odd. The NAT issue has more to do with the provider's network, IIRC. I don't do tech support, but I've had similar configurations.
  • edited May 2012
    Can I replace an Intel Integrated GPU with another GPU and expect it to work at all?

Specifically, I have an HP nc6400 that I got a year ago at bar, bottom bargain price. Now I'm trying to trick it out and make it better suited to my current needs.

Specs

My laptop only has the Intel Integrated GPU.

Here's a picture of the guts of my laptop.

Here's a picture of the Dual Core processor (above) and the Integrated Intel GPU (below).

There is no separate GPU slot in my version of the laptop, however, there are versions of this laptop with a separate ATI x1300 graphics card in them that I may be able to obtain and use. However, the chances of that are relatively low. Also, I'm a poor college student, so buying another laptop is out of the question ;-)

I am will to go to almost any means to make this happen, with the exception of replacing my motherboard.
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • I'd not bother, but you can try. I'd recommend filling that ram slot up, though.
  • I'd not bother, but you can try. I'd recommend filling that ram slot up, though.
    Yeah, that's the first thing I was going to. It originally had two 500 mb sticks of ram, which I plan to replace with two 2 gig sticks of ram, which is the max it can hold.
  • That gpu is not replaceable. If you try, you will break the whole thing
  • Don't fucking dick about with laptop motherboards. It's probably cheaper to just buy a new laptop. Also, don't forget to run 64-bit OS when you put those two 2-gig sticks in.
  • edited May 2012
    Don't fucking dick about with laptop motherboards. It's probably cheaper to just buy a new laptop. Also, don't forget to run 64-bit OS when you put those two 2-gig sticks in.
    This. Here, I'm going to quote it again, because it's really fucking important.
    Don't fucking dick about with laptop motherboards.
  • I installed 12.04 and really liking it so far. Unity seems vastly improved and the MyUnity app helps you customize it pretty well. Also thinking about doing a spring reformatting of my Windows box.
  • Don't fucking dick about with laptop motherboards. It's probably cheaper to just buy a new laptop. Also, don't forget to run 64-bit OS when you put those two 2-gig sticks in.
    This. Here, I'm going to quote it again, because it's really fucking important.

Don't fucking dick about with laptop motherboards.
    My laptop is really fucking cheap and is on the verge of being outdated. I have learned more about my laptop and how laptops are constructed by opening it up and dicking around with it than doing research on it. Also, I may just replace my motherboard for $20 with one that has another video card already in it, which I will then replace.
  • I've got a laptop here, Lenovo G555 which isn't showing any signs of life beyond basic powering up. The fan and a couple of lights come on but other than that, nothing.

I opened it up and there was a 1-2mm thick layer of dense dust over the heatsync and, further investigation revealed, it has shut off by itself in the past.
    I'm guessing it's cooked itself and went about getting the hard drive out of it.

Here's some of the stuff I've tried:
    Checking if any of the LAN lights come on when wired to a router = No lights.
    Trying each ram stick in each position.
    Pressing various function keys to try and trigger some bios screen.
    The various "switch to external monitor" buttons.
    Plugging in an external monitor.
    Ubuntu DVD and pressing Enter repeatedly. The disc doesn't seem to spin up beyond the detection phase.

Anything else I could try?
  • I've got a laptop here, Lenovo G555 which isn't showing any signs of life beyond basic powering up. The fan and a couple of lights come on but other than that, nothing.

I opened it up and there was a 1-2mm thick layer of dense dust over the heatsync and, further investigation revealed, it has shut off by itself in the past.
    I'm guessing it's cooked itself and went about getting the hard drive out of it.

Here's some of the stuff I've tried:
    Checking if any of the LAN lights come on when wired to a router = No lights.
    Trying each ram stick in each position.
    Pressing various function keys to try and trigger some bios screen.
    The various "switch to external monitor" buttons.
    Plugging in an external monitor.
    Ubuntu DVD and pressing Enter repeatedly. The disc doesn't seem to spin up beyond the detection phase.

Anything else I could try?
    Recycling it and buying a new one.
  • edited June 2012
    Any useful suggestions?

I've been doing more research and there have been reports of this laptop running at 130 degrees before shutting of.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Remind me never to have the stupid idea of working with wood again.
  • So, I'm thinking of getting an old desktop or laptop to slap linux on and tinker with. I'm debating getting a Lenovo X61, but don't know anything about them. Is $200 a fair price for that? I'd like to spend between $50 and 200, so it's at the top of my price range. What would be the cheapest hardware you'd feel comfortable running desktop linux on? (probably either ubuntu or xubuntu)
  • My sister uses my old single core Celeron with Ubuntu fine.
  • I will be going somewhere for a few months and won't have access to a TV. Is it possible to connect a console (ps3) to a laptop screen? Mine has a HDMI port, but it is only for output.... right?
  • I will be going somewhere for a few months and won't have access to a TV. Is it possible to connect a console (ps3) to a laptop screen? Mine has a HDMI port, but it is only for output.... right?
    Yes, that's only for output. If you want to have HDMI input you need an HDMI capture device of some kind.
  • So, I'm thinking of getting an old desktop or laptop to slap linux on and tinker with. What would be the cheapest hardware you'd feel comfortable running desktop linux on? (probably either ubuntu or xubuntu)
    Linux will work on any desktop unless it's got insanely new hardware. Historically, linux on a laptop was iffy due to custom hardware. If it's going on a laptop, do a google search of the model and linux to see if anyone's had success or problems. (It's been a decade since I ran linux on a laptop, so things might have improved since then.)
  • Virtual machines can also be good but have their limitations.
  • The biggest issue I've had with linux is that it doesn't play nice with some wifi chipsets. That being said, I'm typing this on my desktop running Linux Mint. the only thing that doesn't work with it right now is my Blue Snowflake.
  • Been having trouble aiming smoothly with my G9x+Sphex. A glass cleaning wipe and some isopropanol later, and everything's running smooth again.
  • edited April 2013
    Didn't want to start a new thread. I guess this one is appropriate.

I think I've said many times that I have the Happy Hacking Keyboard at home and at work. It is the best. Both of them still work perfectly.

However, the HHK is really great for everything except gaming. It can game serviceably, but not perfectly. Sometimes you find one of those games that uses the numpad, then what? I have a separate wireless numpad I can dig out of my drawer, but it's not ideal. Sometimes you need those F keys, but with HHK you have to press Fn+1 to to F1.

So since I do mostly coding at work and mostly gaming and non-coding stuff at home, I'm thinking of getting a non-HHK for my house. It's also good to have a spare keyboard for those occasions when you have a separate computer on the floor you have to turn on and things like that.

Right now I'm thinking this guy - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201054

Apparently it even has mode so you can make it impossible to accidentally press windows key while in a game and things like that.
    Post edited by Apreche on