This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• The lupin typing game looks pretty rad.
  • Anyway, these cherry switches are amazing. It's taking a little getting used to things that are different from the HHK. Backspace and Esc are much further away. I keep hitting ] or \ when I mean to hit backspace and ` instead of Esc. Other than that, now I REALLY want an HHK with cherry switches. I might even make one.
    Cherry Blues (at least until Cherry Greens are more widespread) are supposedly the next best thing to the old Model M's buckling springs. It's tough to beat the feel of a good mechanical keyboard and if it wasn't for its age and the lack of certain keys I need these days, I'd still be using my old Model M I got at a computer fair for $4.
  • I wasn't sure which color of Cherry to get. There was no way to try them all out and see which one I preferred. I got red because the only choices with this keyboard were red or brown. Perfectly happy with red. If some other color is better, I have no regrets.
  • OK, fuck it. I'm replacing my Das with a Cherry.

Will bring the Das to work and piss everyone off. ;^)
  • I wasn't sure which color of Cherry to get. There was no way to try them all out and see which one I preferred. I got red because the only choices with this keyboard were red or brown. Perfectly happy with red. If some other color is better, I have no regrets.
    Yeah, it's a personal thing. Reds are primarily aimed for gaming because they're purely linear and don't give any tactile feedback when typing. Browns are quieter versions of blues and like blues have a little "kink" in the mechanism (for lack of a better term) so you can feel when the key has engaged before it totally bottoms out. Greens are basically stiffer blues.
    OK, fuck it. I'm replacing my Das with a Cherry.

Will bring the Das to work and piss everyone off. ;^)
    Actually, the Das keyboards (unless the older ones were different) use Cherry switches. Typically blues for the "loud" one and browns for the "soft" one.
  • Yeah. I just need to get my Das out of my main rig at home due to the aforementioned voltage issue that I doubt will matter on my work computer. Otherwise, I love that keyboard.
  • If you want a keyboard with Cherry Brown switches, this one has gotten decent reviews. If I had to buy one now, I'd probably go with it as it's the cheapest one out there due to the sale NewEgg is having on it at the moment.

The Das is nice, but I'm not sure if it's $50 (or even $30) more nice. Plus that whole voltage issue bugs me. Does your Das have one or two USB cables? Supposedly the newer models use one for the keyboard and the other for the internal USB hub.
  • I have a pretty old Das with one cable.
  • Okay. Apparently the folks at Das keyboard also knew about the weird voltage stuff and threw in a second USB cable to deal with it. However, there is also this caveat on their site:
    The USB hub has two ports and does not require an external power supply. It's compatible with the 1.1 and 2.0 standards. Both ports can be active at the same time, but one can temporarily shut down if the current consumption is too high.
  • I'm looking for a nice wireless keyboard (for the living room), preferably about the size of the Happy Hacking keyboard. Anybody know of such a thing? I've had trouble finding one.
  • Do these problems only kick in when using the ports for something like a 2.5 HDD?
  • I'm looking for a nice wireless keyboard (for the living room), preferably about the size of the Happy Hacking keyboard. Anybody know of such a thing? I've had trouble finding one.
    http://www.focalprice.com/CK0074W/Rapoo_E050_Ultraslim_Wireless_Keyboard_White.html
    http://www.focalprice.com/CK0074W/Rapoo_E050_Ultraslim_Wireless_Keyboard_White.html
    You've already found more than I have. Ideally, though, it would be a wireless Das keyboard without anything to the right of the return key. That thing looks sort of cheap and not-so-nice to type on.

What I want probably doesn't exist, admittedly.
  • edited April 2013
    I think mechanical switches are mostly for desktop keyboards.
    I would recommend the Logitech K430 but it has serious ghosting issues.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I have a big CMStorm keyboard with Cherry Red switches that I got at PAX, and it has improved the comfort of typing and gaming for me significantly form the cheap-ass keyboard I was using before. There's a minor issue where you can set custom keybindings, but they limited the ability to rebind the Windows and function keys in a way that slightly inconveniences me.

The board is really loud, but typing is comfortable now with this keyboard's lower resistance.
  • I learned that basically all good keyboards have 6-key rollover... on USB.

PS/2 supports n-key rollover, which keyboards like the Das support. USB has some limitations in the way it handles keyboards (supposedly) that limit it to 6 regardless of other factors.

I won't bother to research beyond this point, but that's what I've found.
  • edited April 2013
    Nevermind, forgot about the differences between n-key rollover and ghosting. Both are factors for me, but I mentally overlap them.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • This is marketing buzz, but I think it hits on the thing:

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/SideWinderX4.aspx

Ghosting has three common causes:

The internal electronics cannot uniquely determine which keys are pressed.
    The communications protocol limits the number of keys that can be reported.
    Software on the computer may fail to properly handle large numbers of simultaneously pressed keys, even if they are properly reported by the keyboard.

Ghosting being the way of expressing how certain key combinations "ghost" by either not sending a signal or sending the wrong signal, while n-key rollover is the maximum number of different keys that can be sent at the same time. Both are relevant to me and I've had issues with them, but only when I was "extremely" serious about MMORPG PvP.
  • edited April 2013
    Isn't ghosting specifically when the wrong key is sent? Apparently not sending any key at all is called "blocking", which is generally designed in as a way to fail more gracefully.

Rollover is indeed handling multiple keys at once, with n-key rollover being the ability to handle any number of keys. Most keyboards don't have even 3-key rollover, but instead arrange the wiring so that common 3-key combos will work (esp. modifiers), but arbitrary ones will often fail.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well I hadn't encountered the term blocking, but that sounds about right. I think I also considered it ghosting when you would hit some pattern of keys and it selectively sends one of them seemingly randomly as opposed to sending only the first x keys or something, but that could just be one more random detail somehow related to the n-key rollover.
  • I experienced this with a wireless keyboard where I would try to do a diagonal crouch jump in TF2 (W + D + Space + Caps with the caps being a control) and it wouldn't accept the D. Using A to go left while doing so worked, however.
  • I experienced this with a wireless keyboard where I would try to do a diagonal crouch jump in TF2 (W + D + Space + Caps with the caps being a control) and it wouldn't accept the D. Using A to go left while doing so worked, however.
    I had a similar issue attempting to play Super Meat Boy on a Logitech G510.

• Yeah, I get a very similar issue using Caps Lock as Ctrl. I guess the Caps Lock key doesn't tend to get prioritized very much.
  • I'm new at curl and trying to use it to replace wget. Why won't it download geeknights? curl -O http://traffic.libsyn.com/geeknights/20130424.mp3Just an example, this isn't how I listen to geeknights.
  • I'm new at curl and trying to use it to replace wget. Why won't it download geeknights? curl -O http://traffic.libsyn.com/geeknights/20130424.mp3Just an example, this isn't how I listen to geeknights.
    Because libsyn has redirects involved and curl doesn't follow redirects by default. Try this.
    curl -O -L http://traffic.libsyn.com/geeknights/20130424.mp3
    It's usually a good idea to use -L for location all the time because you never know when there are redirects.

• Thank you.
  • The new dasKeyboards do indeed have two USB cables, eliminating the voltage problems with my old one.

I got the blank one with brown Cherry switches for work (lest my coworkers murder me), and am going to replace my home keyboard with the same blank one with Cherry blues.
  • How are you liking the brown Cherry switches, out of curiosity? When I get a new keyboard, I'm thinking about going the Cherry brown route to keep my spousal overunit from murdering me. :)
  • Meh. They're nice, but not clicky enough. Not great, not terrible, but better than any normal keyboard, so still worth it.
  • edited May 2013
    How are you liking the brown Cherry switches, out of curiosity? When I get a new keyboard, I'm thinking about going the Cherry brown route to keep my spousal overunit from murdering me. :)
    I can tell you that after having the red ones, they are indeed great for gaming. The linear pressure with the tactile click is perfect. But for coding/typing I would definitely get the blues. I tried out Rym's browns a little bit. They were way way better than the membranes on my HHK, and quieter as well. But without that click it still felt a tiny bit mushy. My HHK feels super mushy every time I use it now. If you want typing and quietness, I would try to get the Cherry Clear switches that are the same as blues with no click.

I think I'm going to design the ultimate coding keyboard, and maybe even see if I can get it made. It will be a compact keyboard with a layout similar to the HHK, but with Cherry MX Blue switches and the arrows and numpad broken out. Also, a USB 3.0 hub, not 2.0. Let's get with the times people! Or maybe a wireless keyboard with no USB hub...
    Post edited by Apreche on