This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tron: Legacy

edited December 2010 in Movies
A solid sequel to one of the most monumental movies of geek culture.
Quorra was very hot and Tron's second of two lines in the movie was perfectly timed and executed.
Also, the level of CG used for CLU was scary. I didn't realize it was CG until I started noticing some of his facial movements. It was soundly within the uncanny valley.

More opinion after sleep...

Comments

• Agreed; on all counts. I've been away from the forums for a bit (Thanks, new game launch) but this was too good to ignore.
  • Going to watch this at a IMAX theater on Saturday. Should be fun.
  • I really enjoyed the movie. It was gorgeous, brutal, the story was interesting, and the characters were well developed and there was some over-all good acting. That combined with the actually fantastic use of 3D (don't let the disclaimer at the beginning fool you, there only isn't 3D when they're in the real world).
    Also, the level of CG used for CLU was scary. I didn't realize it was CG until I started noticing some of his facial movements
    I wasn't really bothered by it until the end when Flynn was using his super awesome Jedi powers to let Sam and Quorra escape. At that point, it looked like a Robert Zemeckis motion-capture film.
  • Ah, you midnight movie watchers. I remember that time I would do that. It's always fun being among fans of the movie/genre/series and enjoying the movie together.

Now, I enjoy my sleep and going to sleep at a decent time because I have work in the morning.
  • Okay how many people watched Tron before going to see Legacy? I was hearing reviews that said it was almost the same exact plot, but set up as a sequel. I am wondering how accurate that is.

Of course I will still go see it and I am sure I will love it. I'm just wondering where to set my expectations.
  • Okay how many people watched Tron before going to see Legacy? I was hearing reviews that said it was almost the same exact plot, but set up as a sequel. I am wondering how accurate that is.
    There are some similarities between the plots, but they are very different when it comes to content and the actual story.
  • That's something that has recently annoyed me. I planned on watching the original movie and tried looking to rent the movie on Netflix or purchase it. It pretty much can't be found anywhere with minimal convenience.

I really fucking hate when Disney pulls this sort of "limited edition for a limited time" bullshit. Fucking keep a movie available for purchase.

I found the movie from other methods.

I will probably watch it again before I go see the sequel. It's been so long since I've seen the movie.
  • I really fucking hate when Disney pulls this sort of "limited edition for a limited time" bullshit. Fucking keep a movie available for purchase.
    Everyone does. It's weird that it happened with Tron, though. They usually only do the bullshit vaulting when it comes to the animated movies.
  • edited December 2010
    One of my friends was complaining about how he had to pirate the movie because he just couldn't find it anywhere available to buy, rent, or stream, and he wanted to show it to his son before they saw Legacy. It's confoundingly stupid for Disney not to have re-released Tron on DVD and pushed the crap out of it. They could have made some major bank on DVD sales leading up to the sequel.

Of course, I don't have this problem because I own it. :)
    Okay how many people watched Tron before going to see Legacy? I was hearing reviews that said it was almost the same exact plot, but set up as a sequel. I am wondering how accurate that is.
    There are some similarities between the plots, but they are very different when it comes to content and the actual story.
    Okay, that's good to hear. The one-line synopsis on IMDB is pretty much the plot of the first movie, so I was wondering.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • It's confoundingly stupid for Disney not to have re-released Tron on DVD and pushed the crap out of it. They could have made some major bank on DVD sales leading up to the sequel.
    Disney said that they are "restoring and touching up" the movie for a Blu-Ray release because the movie looks "dated." I honestly think that they pulled the movie from the market to have people not see the original and it's primitive CGI and make poor assumptions as to the quality of the sequel.
  • edited December 2010
    The movie IS dated. But the 20th anniversary edition looks fine. I hope they don't fuck it up like they* did with Star Wars.

*ETA: not Disney. I know they didn't do SW.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • The movie IS dated. But the 20th anniversary edition looks fine. I hope they don't fuck it up like they* did with Star Wars.
    I feel like what they are doing is boosting/fixing colours and touching up the film in places (like scenes where some of the special effects have jagged edges). I seriously doubt that Disney would go back and re-do all of the special effects.

Of course I will still go see it and I am sure I will love it. I'm just wondering where to set my expectations.
  • edited December 2010
    Just came back from the movie. It was very enjoyable. The visual effects and action sequences were awesome and fun to watch. The overall storyline wasn't spectacular but it was good for what it was. The soundtrack of course made the movie even more enjoyable.

Michael Sheen as Zeus was great. I loved his mannerisms.

Daft Punk cameo gave a big smile on my face.

I also really liked that fact that (the movie didn't really emphasize on a romantic relationship between Sam and Quorra and they didn't kiss at the end. I really liked the ending with the bike ride and sunset.)

I really didn't need the 3D of the movie. It was fine on it's own. I'm really getting tired of seeing previews for movies coming out in 3D: Green Hornet, Mars Needs Moms, Cars 2, and Thor. The Thor trailer looked "meh". They really should have used Alexander Skarsgard as Thor, then I would be more interested.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • BRIAN BLESSED was going to be Odin, but then they chose someone else. And they broke my heart.

ACk! Didn't see this thread before!

I walked out of the theatre thinking that, other than some of the particulars, it was basically the same movie as the original. Doesn't change that it was a fun ride though.
  • There were a few points that annoyed me because they didn't quite make sense, but mostly good. I like how they used 3D the way Wizard of Oz uses color, and that they felt the need to add a disclaimer about it at the beginning. I would recommend going to see it.

The part that annoys me most is that all of the points that annoyed me would have required no more than two lines of duologue by one Jeff Bridges or the other to completely solve the issue. I hate it when there is that one thing that would be so easy to fix and they don't.
  • Also, the level of CG used for CLU was scary. I didn't realize it was CG until I started noticing some of his facial movements. It was soundly within the uncanny valley.
    I'm likely giving them too much credit, but I feel like this might have been on purpose.
  • I liked it. That was totally 80's child wank time. Let's go on that ride again!
  • That was totally 80's child-wank time.
    Did anyone else read it like this?
  • I am going to see it tomorrow after work and before the gym.
  • I saw it and like it a lot but saw it in 2D, since I generally don't like the 3D stuff. But some of my friends haven't seen it and I'd probably go again. Is it worth seeing in 3D?
  • Is it worth seeing in 3D?
    It's not annoying, "make stuff pop out" 3D. They use it to add depth to the picture.
  • I saw it and like it a lot but saw it in 2D, since I generally don't like the 3D stuff. But some of my friends haven't seen it and I'd probably go again. Is it worth seeing in 3D?
    Unless you have extraordinary issues with 3D like I do, I'd say it's probably worth seeing in 3D. After seeing it in 2D, I can definitely see how the depth would assist in immersion.
  • I liked it! It was a solid sequel-- even if the story was more or less a rehash of the first movie-- and the 3D was very, very pretty. Though I couldn't help but notice that Rinzler was kind of similar to Vanitas from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. The dark color scheme, the mask, the incredible fighting skills, Dragon to the Big Bad, (evil version of one of the main characters)... I'm not really sure if it was intentional or not.

And on that note, did anyone else figure immediately that (Rinzler was Tron? None of my friends who saw it with me realized it until later, but I knew it the moment I saw him because of the T on his chest. I was actually kind of hoping he'd take his mask off at the end, but I suppose we only needed one digitally deaged actor).
  • I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it was a great movie. it definitely suffered from some pacing issues.
  • I was planning to see it until I heard all this about how it is a sort of remake of the original. I don't have any childhood nostalgia for the original, because I saw the original as an adult. I remember very well being excited about seeing it, but aside from some mildly pretty cinematography and music, wasn't impressed at all. I mean, let's be serious. The old story sucks in a pretty major way. I tried watching it again a few years ago because I thought I might have missed something, but I couldn't even watch it all the way through due to a major case of moviesuxitis. I don't want to see the old movie again with just a few extra bells and whistles, no matter how pretty they may be.
  • I don't think it is a rehash of the old plot. There are significantly more plot elements involved in this one. It was actually reminiscent of the 5th Element.