This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tron: Legacy

1235»

Comments

• Nobody's been able to articulate or qualify the difference.
    God is a proper noun, referring to a specific deity. (g)od is simply a type of deity usually defined in polytheistic religions.
  • ... Then why call them gods?
    If it makes you happy, I'll call them chudwullaguroos instead. From now on, Thor is a chudwullaguroo. Okay?
  • ... Then why call them gods?
    If it makes you happy, I'll call them chudwullaguroos instead. From now on, Thor is a chudwullaguroo. Okay?
    No. The word itself doesn't matter. The problem is that any term you give it doesn't have any actual meaning. What is a god? What qualifies them to be a god? What are the minimum requirements to be a god? Saying God is a proper noun and god is not means nothing -- because the underlying concept is empty and meaningless.
  • No. The word itself doesn't matter. The problem is that any term you give it doesn't have any actual meaning. What is a god? What qualifies them to be a god? What are the minimum requirements to be a god? Saying God is a proper noun and god is not means nothing -- because the underlying concept is empty and meaningless.
    Stop conflating two completely different concepts.
  • I deified my right testicle. You can now worship it.
  • I don't have to articulate the difference, I just have to point out that your definition is too narrow for the vast majority of gods every postulated.

For example, in Genesis, Jehovah (or El, as he is variably named) tells Adam and Eve that if they eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil they will die. This is a lie, of course, because when they eat that fruit, what happens? They don't die. Instead the serpent is the one telling the truth, and Adam and Eve acquire new power: reproduction. So then Jehovah is wandering through the garden, and Adam and Eve aren't in there normal place, and he doesn't know where they are hiding. When he calls to them, not knowing where they are, is he just playing games with them? No, he doesn't know where they are.

So Jehovah, who later is made into God, with omnipotence and omniscience, was once just a powerful being, who may or may not have created the world, but even once he was in it, didn't know where his number one creation was hiding within his own garden. Once he was just a god among many (one of the 70 sons of El, one of the Elohim) but once the idea of monotheism took over, he gained all the powers of all the gods combined, and then some, until now he is nothing but a logically inconsistent abstraction of ultimate power. Which is, in my opinion, far less interesting than the gods within pantheons, or who have limits on their powers.
  • Remember, guys and gals, Luke really knows his shit when it comes to this stuff.
  • Remember, guys and gals, Luke really knows his shit when it comes to this stuff.
    Not really, I just like chatting about it.
  • Tron: Uprising looks pretty.
    I was excited for that show when it was first announced, but when the first few images came out I became severely less stoked. The proportions on the characters are just so freaking weird that it turned me off from the show before it was even released. That being said, damn those weirdly proportioned characters look fantastic when moving. I'm back on the excited team now.

• Tron: Uprising looks pretty.
    >cartoon picture of some digital woman's butt.
    Sail, you're growing up to be a man, how does it feel?