This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Years Resolutions for 2011

Comments

• 7. Get really drunk at MAGfest.
    Listen, you gotta perform at this shit. If you pass out, I will just drop you.
    Look, you just don't understand the plight of the drinking man in this work-a-day world. There are expectations to be met, social conventions to be observed, quotas to be exceeded.
  • I made a resolution years ago never to make resolutions again. Haven't broken it since.
    Aww, don't do that. It is bad for you.
    Aww, don't do that. It is bad for you.
    Are you going to let her tell you what to do?
  • Right now, I'm not even sure I want to keep on living, let alone how I'm going to do anything with my life.

I'm sure it will pass. With spring, hope may still come.
    FUCK YEAH!!!
  • Right now, I'm not even sure I want to keep on living, let alone how I'm going to do anything with my life.

I'm right there with you. Let's keep hoping for hope, eh?
  • Fine, to clarify. I specifically plan to drink and be merry long into the night when doing so will not adversely affect my lecture and panels.
  • Where do you plan to do this?
    In the hotel?

We should bring booze.
  • We should bring booze.
    FUCK YEAH!!!

I also checked the MAGfest site. No drinking in public hotel areas, but I don't know how strict they are about this.

We should bring some stuff but plan on doing a beer/snack run before the con really starts.

NOTE TO SELF: Hotels often have free coffee 24/7. Bring Amaretto.
  • In the hotel?

We should bring booze.
    Yeah, you see the problem with this con is that there isn't a whole lot right there and few public transit options exist. If we had a car we can go to any number of places.
  • edited December 2010
    No drinking in public hotel areas, but I don't know how strict they are about this.
    I got to meet someone who was working on the MAGfest staff while I was down in NC recently. IIRC, the rule is basically "don't be that guy."

EDIT: There's an easy solution. I'll just ask Nuri to ask her. Hey Nuri, can you ask about their drunkenness policy?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

Apply for an ESL teaching Job in Japan
  • I'm just pulling this list from my website. Not really resolutions, but goals in general.

Things to Purchase/Acquire
    • New apartment
    • Furnishings for new apartment
    • A sound system for the entertainment center
    • New clothing to fill out my wardrobe
    • More kitchen stuffs for cooking/eating
    Things to Learn
    • Learn to play guitar
    • Learn to cook more things
    • Learn necessary skills for Project LZ
    • Become ever better in social situations
    Things to Complete
    • Play a live show with a band
    • Finish the first draft of my second novel
    • Finish Seraph Compendium
    • Participate in this year's NaNoWriMo
    • Start and finish Project LZ
    • Start Project 16
    • Get arm fixed
    • Get physically back in shape
    Video Game Specific
    • Play and beat 3 DS games (Finished: 0/3)
    • Play and beat 2 PSP games (Finished: 0/2)
    • Play and beat any Wii games (Finished: 0/2)
    • Play and beat 10 PS3 games (Finished: 0/10)
    • Play and beat 2 PS1 games (Finished: 0/2)
    • Play and beat 1 PS2 games (Finished: 0/1)
    • Play and beat 1 GCN games (Finished: 0/1)
    Media Specific
    • Watch 75 movies (Finished: 0/75)
    • Watch 15 TV shows/seasons (Finished: 0/15)
    • Read 3 books (Finished: 0/3)
  • I'm gonna figure out what kind of romantic I am, in terms of commitment. I figure the best way to do this is to forgo the casual makeouts I've been having.
  • I figure the best way to do this is to forgo the casual makeouts I've been having.
    Casual makeouts are some of the best makeouts.
  • I figure the best way to do this is to forgo the casual makeouts I've been having.
    Casual makeouts are some of the best makeouts.
    Ain't that the truth, and I'm a little sad to forgo them, but I feel like continuing with them would cheapen other relationships.
  • Knit from stash yarn.
    Finish knitting projects.
    Bring in significantly less yardage/fiber than I knit/spin.
  • No drinking in public hotel areas, but I don't know how strict they are about this.
    I got to meet someone who was working on the MAGfest staff while I was down in NC recently. IIRC, the rule is basically "don't be that guy."

EDIT: There's an easy solution. I'll just ask Nuri to ask her. Hey Nuri, can you ask about their drunkenness policy?
    Bob referred me to the policy on the website.

"Substance Abuse

The sale or distribution of any illegal or controlled substances is not allowed at MAGFest. Any individual found to be distributing such substances will be removed and reported directly to the local authorities. MAGFest asks that alcoholic beverages be consumed in the privacy of a hotel room and not taken into any festival function or function space. Please note an important caveat involving minors: Anyone knowingly or unknowingly providing alcohol or aiding others in providing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21 will be guilty of a felony and will be turned over to the local authorities. It is the sole responsibility of persons serving alcohol in room parties to ensure that every person in attendance is over the age of 21, regardless of whether the host or any party attendees are drinking alcohol. Anyone caught drinking under the age of 21 is guilty of a Class 1 Misdemeanor under Virginia law and may be penalized harshly.

Pursuant to Virginia Code § 4.1-308, no alcohol may be consumed in hotel public spaces including festival areas. If a member is over the age of 21 and wishes to consume alcohol in the privacy of their room they may do so on the condition that the alcohol is not transported into public space."

Use your common sense. Obviously the hotel bar, if there is one, doesn't count as a public area because it is a bar that has a liquor license. Any other part of the hotel that is not a private hotel room is generally considered a public area.
  • 1. Go to more clubs and party more often!
    2. Get drunk a bit more often!
    3. Make comics a LOT more often.
    4. Keep on losing weight like I do often!
    5. Go to MAGfest, Connecticon, PAX East, Anime Boston, Ravencon and perhaps Dragoncon or some sci fi con.
    6. Get more fashionable!
    7. Read at least 8 books.
    8. Play at least 2 vidjyagames and NOT give in to an obsessive addiction. (Really, that's is the reason I don't play a lot of vidjyagames)
    9. Go to boardgaming club more.
    10. Become awesome and less scared to say what I need to say.
    11. Get good grades at school AGAIN!
  • I will run a marathon!
  • Let's see...
    1. Play more games.
    2. Find a job, potentially for just over the summer, but maybe try and find a job at RIT, since there is always the possibility I could keep that job over the summer since I live close by...
    3. GET A FREAKING DRIVER'S LICENSE - I'm getting close to a point in my lessons that I am nearing being able to get one...I just need to get to a point where my teacher thinks I can and I need to do the 5-hour...
    4. Don't push my girlfriend away for any idiotic reasons
    5. Go to Tora-Con, Otakon, and maybe another convention or two. Being a poor college student will not keep me from those two.
    6. Get a 4.0...Or at least don't dip below the 3.5 I had Fall Quarter.
    7. Do one or two awesome cosplays.
  • Knox has invented New Year's Achievements.

Which come to think of it, might be easily monetized. Feel free to market it, but I get 2 percent.
  • edited December 2010
    Knox has invented New Year's Achievements.

Which come to think of it, might be easily monetized. Feel free to market it, but I get 2 percent.
    I don't know if I really invented it. I first did it last year based on what Luke was doing. It works well for me though because that's just the way my brain works.

EDIT: On the other hand, setting up some kind of platform that works well across multiple devices (website, iOS, Android, widget, etc.), that keeps track of goals as well as reminds the user of things they've been slacking on might be work looking at. I can see people using it the same way they use Mint for making budgets and keeping their spending in check (at least that's what I use it for).
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • New years resolutions. Set forth the plan to release the Old Ones from their deathly slumber.
  • Hmm.

1. Establish myself in this city. Put some monies in my savings account.
    2. Repair / mend / replace some clothes (and a pair of shoes) that have unsightly holes in them, but are too comfortable to not wear for a week.
    3. Learn a lot more about whiskey through hands-on experience.
    4. Make an effort to exercise and get in shape. Specifically, do something about my scrawny programmer's arms.
    5. Be as dapper as possible.
  • That reminds me of another one to add to my list:

Get the hell out of debt!
  • Y'all, I am a hungry dude. I fuckin' love to eat, and drink beer. I just deal with it by exercising like a madman. This makes me strong and gives me the work capacity of an ox, but I do still have flab here and there. I have made my peace with it. It might become a problem if my life were busier and I did not have enough time to exercise.

Speaking of which, Rym, you do shit all the time. Like, all the time. How do you find the time to be in what sounds like pretty fine shape? 30 pull-ups and six-minute miles are quite respectable.

For my part I just wanna write more and play more goddamn games, and start fencing again. I am running a tabletop RPG for the first time in a while, so that's a start, and as of Christmas I own a copy of Puerto Rico, so that's pretty cool. I'd also like to dapper up my wardrobe a bit. I'm thinking classic western wear.

I have some other goals, but they're not really resolutions, more like... inevitabilities. I will be getting a new job, going back to school, and payin' down some debts, monetary and otherwise.
  • Speaking of which, Rym, you do shit all the time. Like,allthe time. How do you find the time to be in what sounds like pretty fine shape? 30 pull-ups and six-minute miles are quite respectable.
    I've been biking pretty hard for most of my life, and generally have been athletic. This has led to a high metabolism and general baseline fitness.

More directly, running a couple miles every day takes very little time, even at a slow pace, and has an enormous effect. Lifting weights a few times a week along with that already puts you in the upper percentiles of human fitness. A mile and a half walk/run (quarter-mile walk, mile run, quarter-mile walk) should take even a relatively unfit person less than ten or fifteen minutes.
  • I am adding something to my new years resolutions. I WILL get this: Linkificationariumtriary`