This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Years Resolutions for 2011

Comments

• Touching my toes was a bad idea. In May I had a reacurance of sciatica back and leg problems, and had to put stretching on hold. I think I've got to accept that I just won't be that flexible later in life.

How about everyone else? Did any single one of you stick to your new years resolution? Did anyone make a good list of plans and goals? Did you tick off your achievements?
  • Very soon now I'm going to get my "Go somewhere that's not America" achievement.
  • These are not in any particular order, just the order in which I thought of them:
    1. Finish my series of Art Nouveau Disney Princesses/Villains (I have only done 3 1/2 of the proposed 40-some drawings, and I was trying to do one a week when I started them).
    2. Learn how to do digital art and finally put my tablet to some use.
    3. Blog regularly
    4. Finally get down to my ideal weight of 150-160 lbs (I am surprisingly close, well considering past years).
  • 2012 now with even less shit talk?
  • My only resolution this year was getting rid of the idiots in my life something which I achieved.

2012's resolution? Taking better care off my health and lose at least a couple of kilos. That's all I need. And get a job.
  • 1. Learn Russian
    2. Spend less time on Reddit
    3. Finish the Madoka AMV
    4. Pass math
    5. Do more stuff

Hopefully #2 will allow the rest to follow.
  • 1. Enter to WIN a costume contest (Hopefully with Gwendolyn's Valkyrie armor at AZ with a light-up spear and wings that fold on motors! Also hopefully at Otakon with something. Kinda depends on what groups pan out... Harlock and CCS? Uhm, YES.)

2. Eat better, exercise more. Not because I need to lose weight, I'm pretty much at my ideal weight... but because I want to tone. I want to just look better and feel better about myself.

3. Continue to improve my daily wardrobe. It's an ongoing process.

4. Stress less about people being stupid. If people want to be angry about something stupid, just let them.

5. Find job + car, not necessarily in that order.

6. Play my instruments more (/get them into good repair. I have two violins that were my great-grandfather's, and both are in need of a lot of attention).

7. Learn to make new things. Like plushies. And other things.

8. Somehow get my BooBoo and Casey's Missy (Pomeranian) to get along, since Casey is moving in with me. COSTUMER HOUSE.
  • 2012 now with even less shit talk?
    Not necessarily. The drawings are more a problem of finding time to do them and keeping motivated to get them done. I feel like actually uploading the ones that I have done to the internet will get me more motivated. Blogging regularly is something that I already do, I just need to get out of my unintentional sabbatical that is going on right now. Losing weight is something that has happened over time, I went from about 190 to about 165-170.

• edited December 2011
    I will try to be 20% cooler :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Guys, why are you talking about 2012 resolutions and plans and goals in this thread? Isn't this the one where you read back over the resolutions and plans and goals you made at the start of 2011?

Go on, be honest with yourselves and see how well you've stuck to last year's list before you write a new set of things to fail at in the coming year.

To be honest I failed at my resolution for this year, and then I failed at the things I failed at.
  • I didn't fail any of my resolutions. That was the benefit of not having them.
  • edited December 2011
    Still at 1920x1080. Success!
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited December 2011
    1. Use the Wii Fit for an hour three times a week.
    2. Put aside some of my scruples and take advantage of stupid people so I can make enough money to move out. Possibly through the sale of homeopathy and/or religious symbols.

I'm actually resolving to be more evil this year. V_V Yay me.
    I am adding something to my new years resolutions. I WILL get this: Linkificationariumtriary`
    Number 1 I did for 4-5 months, number 2 I did a little bit but felt bad enough about it I donated the small amount of money I gained. And instead of getting the keytar, I built a computer.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • 1. Do better in school. In a new major, need to really enjoy it, learn and stick to it.
    2. Put in an exercise regiment.
    3. Finish my first novel.
    4. Attempt a Daily VLOG.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I guess the one solid resolution from last year was to get my life and head a lot more in order, and with a bit of help, I did that. This year, it's learn to do something else at least as well as I shoot - which is going to be interesting. And learn to relax a little more.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • 1. Do more.
  • edited December 2011
    For reals though, I guess I'd like to eat healthier and spend more time reading.
    Ha! That didn't happen! Though I guess I do spend more time reading, it still just takes me longer than I'd like to get through books because I only am left with time to read fairly occasionally. So I guess my resolution for 2012 would be to try and get reading into my normal routine. It's depressing when things you love no longer naturally make time for themselves. If I wasn't a music major, I'd be an English major, but now since I have this other thing that is such a bigger part of my daily life, my reading and writing has slipped so much and I can feel it.

And eating healthier, I guess that still stands for me too. Nothing to do with weight, it's just the way eating crappy food can sometimes take a toll on my mood.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Right now, I'm not even sure I want to keep on living, let alone how I'm going to do anything with my life.

I'm sure it will pass. With spring, hope may still come.
    I'm right there with you. Let's keep hoping for hope, eh?
    Well, I'm still alive. Slightly less suicidal, too.

• I managed 5-15 pretty well. I failed at the other eight only because of apathy, serious depression, or a lack of time. I'm pretty happy with how 2011 turned out, all things considered.
  • Run for class president at Tomobiki High School
  • edited December 2011
    1. Exercise more.
    2. Get back into Aikido, keep up with the sword stuff.
    3. Hang out with more NerdNYC people.
    4. Move to a better apartment.
    5. (possibly) find a job that's awesome AND pays as much (or more) than I'm making currently.

EDIT: Last year's resolutions (truncated):
    1. Establish myself, have money in savings account.
    2. Replace shitty clothes with new clothes.
    3. Learn about whisk(e)y.
    4. Start exercising.
    5. Be as dapper as possible.
    Did pretty good. Got a high-paying job, so I'm saving money. Grew as a person, and dapper'd myself up. Started exercising, but I can do a lot better on that front.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Two really simple resolutions. Making anything big never works for me, so..

1. Get some weights and lift them occasionally. Not looking to bodybuild, just keep my strength up and have something to do in my room other than waste away in front of the computer.

2. Get a fukken co-op for the Summer. Making good progress - updated and sexy resume is underway, new suit was acquired today. Good stuff.
  • This was pretty good:

Also, I suck at waiting. I'm always the first to show up for everything.
  • 1. Get into law school

Kinda it for me. Everything else is moot in comparison.
  • edited December 2011
    Analyzing my resolutions, I didn't do so bad. Also, I got bunnies this year and returned to Japan, so this year was quite wonderful and eventful!

2010:
    - Finish my movie
    Did a whole done of shots this year, really upped production, but did not finish in time for the new year. If I can keep up this pace I am doing well! Screened the unfinished film at an ASIFA event, that was cool.
    - Exercise 3 times a week and run 2 miles regularly. Get better about doing my crunches.
    I've been okay about exercising, brought my 2 mile time down, exercised fairly well and ought to continue to do so. I should be better about my crunches, though.
    - Get to work before 9:30 every morning
    Make that 10:30, and I was okay. The rabbits made it so I show up at 10 most days. Scrum is 10:30, so I must be there by that time and work over 8 hours.
    - Finish studying all the Joyo Kanji for the Level 1 exam
    Actually, I have been going hard for this one. Again, not finished, but a lot accomplished for the level 1 exam.
    - Form artist collective, try artist alley again
    Did this at Connecticon. It was meh for me because I was bored and had a headache and people were more fans of me from geeknights than stuff I drew, but I broke even and my "Artist Collective" friends did really well and maybe got hooked on artist alley.
    - Make an updated reel for both my 2D and my 3D work
    I did not do this. I must do this.

- Finish my movie. (This will be on the list until it is done)
    - Learn all the Joyo Kanji, Take the Level 1 JPLT exam!
    - Exercise at least 3 times a week (running, biking, etc.) and train my muscles with free weights and crunches.
    - Do 1 extra curricular painting or illustration a month. Be more active in art communities, both online and off.
    - Make a new reel.
    - Spend more time in the evenings with Rym and the bunnies. In other words, get up earlier.

This year, I will try to be healthy, productive, happy, and loving. I think that will make it a good year.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I always figured resolutions would be one specific thing. Seems everyone has lists upon lists of stuff.
  • I only have 6, really, and 3 of them boil down to "do more arts"
  • I plan on making a resolution I can keep. I plan to masturbate more often. It will help keep my stress down.
  • I always figured resolutions would be one specific thing. Seems everyone has lists upon lists of stuff.

• Resolution time: start 2012 by shouting "...ew Year!" and end with "Happy N..." If I get that sorted, the rest of the year will work itself out. Right?