This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Scott (or other folks that have seen Running Man), have you watched any of the shows that came before like X Man or Family Outing?
  • edited December 2012
    Scott (or other folks that have seen Running Man), have you watched any of the shows that came before like X Man or Family Outing?
    I have watched a handful of clips. Also watched a few episodes of shows like Infinite Challenge, Star Golden Bell, Strong Heart, etc. Overall, not that interested.

Infinite Challenge is good, but too many episodes. Just watch "best of."

Strong Heart is really good. I think that is actually the show with the best chance of success in other countries. However, it jumped the shark after the hosts changed. Also, not all of the episodes are subbed. I watched all the good ones that were. There aren't many.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Another question for you NY peeps: what's interesting to do near(ish) JFK on an ~8 hour layover?
  • Another question for you NY peeps: what's interesting to do near(ish) JFK on an ~8 hour layover?
    I think Anthony Bourdain had an episode of The Layover in New York
    JFK isn't near anything. If you have 8 hours, though, you can take the Air Train to the E train to Manhattan. That should give you 3-4 hours to do whatever before you should think about going back to the airport.
  • edited December 2012
    Scott has it. Be warned - taking the E or A train to Manhattan will take at least an hour each way, although you can often cut down that time by spending more money and taking the LIRR (the light rail) into Penn Station.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Scott has it. Be warned - taking the E or A train to Manhattan will take at least an hour each way, although you can often cut down that time by spending more money and taking the LIRR (the light rail) into Penn Station.
    LIRR is not light rail. It's a full on train. It may be faster, but it runs on a schedule for which you have to buy tickets, as opposed to the subway and Air Train which just keep coming.

Or take a cab.
  • The subway has a schedule for each individual train.
  • The subway has a schedule for each individual train.
    This is technically true, but the schedule does not actually matter. The trains only run precisely according to the schedule when there are no problems at all. It's also useless to actually check the schedule for any planning purpose. You just go into the subway and and wait for the next train, which will not take long.

Just look at this E train schedule. http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf

Technically according to that schedule, you will never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a train, and most often only 4-8 minutes. LIRR or MNRR might come once or twice an hour. You don't want to miss it.
  • Duly noted, thanks.
  • I really wish they would use automated trains on all subways, unfortunately I know why that cannot be.
  • Double post! But this is a question because I am at work and need things to keep me busy, aside from reading about software security stuff.

I've been playing some Kingdom of Loathing, but I don't think that is going to get me through the day completely. What are some other browser-based games I can play?
  • Double post! But this is a question because I am at work and need things to keep me busy, aside from reading about software security stuff.

I've been playing some Kingdom of Loathing, but I don't think that is going to get me through the day completely. What are some other browser-based games I can play?
    I also am constantly looking for such things, and am unable to find quality.

• I've put Ubuntu on an old netbook I acquired, and installed the usual nonsense that I like(chromium, pidgin, skype, mumble, filezilla, etc) and a few little extra widgets I like(for example, a guitar effects processor that essentially does the work of some pedals, taskbar radio streaming).

Anything else useful anyone suggests?
  • I've put Ubuntu on an old netbook I acquired, and installed the usual nonsense that I like(chromium, pidgin, skype, mumble, filezilla, etc) and a few little extra widgets I like(for example, a guitar effects processor that essentially does the work of some pedals, taskbar radio streaming).

How many times do we have to say this? NEVER ASK THIS QUESTION. IT IS A WRONG QUESTION TO ASK.
  • edited December 2012
    I also am constantly looking for such things, and am unable to find quality.
    KoL is about the only thing I can really find. Urban Dead was good but got pretty boring, as was the island version of it that I can't remember the name of. The island one was much better than Urban Dead.

I also found this:

WIKIPEDIA.

Ah-ha, the other game is Shartak. It's worth giving a shot if you haven't played anything like it before. It's kind of a 15 minutes a day game though.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • edited December 2012
    I've put Ubuntu on an old netbook I acquired, and installed the usual nonsense that I like(chromium, pidgin, skype, mumble, filezilla, etc) and a few little extra widgets I like(for example, a guitar effects processor that essentially does the work of some pedals, taskbar radio streaming).

How many times do we have to say this? NEVER ASK THIS QUESTION. IT IS A WRONG QUESTION TO ASK.
    Quit your bitching, Scott. I know you've said it before, and I know exactly what you advise, I'm just willfully ignoring your advice for the moment.

You see, within this community, someone is bound to have something I've not heard of before that I'm willing to check out. I've got what I need, and a few things I want, now I'm just looking for interesting things which I might not have thought of - see, unlike you, I'm stupid enough that I know the absolute base of what I need, but I know there is plenty of shit that I don't know that I need, or never knew existed.

Funnily enough, you're not the only person here worth asking, thus why I broadcast the question rather than asking you directly. In fact, you're probably the person least worth asking, since you'll just put me exactly back where I started with the technological equivalent of a zen koan for advice, which leaves me with precisely one tech-koan more than the nothing I started with. If I want specific advice or information, rather than a broad, open-ended "What's cool bruv?" question, that's when I'd be asking you. Provided it isn't easily answerable with Google, anyway, or it isn't one of those situations where I know what you're going to say before you do.

On top of that, I'm using this community - whose knowledge and experience I generally value - as a filter for the fire-hose torrent of mostly-garbage information, until I have enough knowledge and experience to build filters of my own. Helpfully, many of them share my interests and preferences, which makes it even easier. Without, I might add, having to deal with the vast, vast number of obnoxious Linux users who seem to believe that their method and setup is the only method, and if you do anything else, you're an idiot. And naturally, if you poll a random hundred of them, you'll have 150 different and obviously-the-only ways to tackle any problem or perform any task.

If you've a problem with that, then I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • When your computer is fucked the fuck up, I'll just say I told you so. Don't listen to the one person with the always perfectly working computer. Just keep behaving like and taking advice from all the people with constant tech problems.
  • You should install AVG, Adblock Plus, Norton Security Toolbar, Google Toolbar, ZoneAlarm, Internet Accelerator Plus, at least three or four registry cleaners...
  • edited December 2012
    I hear the Ask toolbar is pretty awesome as well as a couple of coupon printer programs.

//seems legit :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Downgrade to 10.04 when Ubuntu didn't suck... ;-)
  • PuTTY. You must have it.
  • I hear the Ask toolbar is pretty awesome as well as a couple of coupon printer programs.

//seems legit :-p
    Do they still have that purple monkey that helps you make your internet faster? Install that.

• edited December 2012
    When your computer is fucked the fuck up, I'll just say I told you so. Don't listen to the one person with the always perfectly working computer. Just keep behaving like and taking advice from all the people with constant tech problems.
    And that's why I'm not experimenting to learn things on my main computer or putting anything I can't afford to lose on there, oh great technology swami. They're separate and isolated from each other, and I'm keeping them quarantined from each other. If I fuck it up, guess what, I'll just wipe and re-install. Literally the only way I can lose anything in this method is if something destroys the actual, physical computer in a completely unrecoverable fashion. And I'm yet to find anything that literally sets your computer on fire.

Get over yourself, Mr perfectly-working-computer. It's just a computer, it's just some software, and I'm doing it for two purposes - Primarily to learn what I can learn and in a distant second, to have a small, mobile computer in a more convenient form factor than I already had. The worst I can lose is some time that I can chose when and where when it's most convenient, and learn something interesting in the process. A net gain, if anything, considering my goal is to build knowledge and metaphorical tools.

In fact, if I completely break it, it's more valuable and useful than having it working perfectly, all the time, because then I can have a try at fixing it and getting it running again, or I learn a new way it can fuck up and what precisely that is like and what leads up to it.

In fact, I remember some dude saying something about how, if you want to learn about computers, then you should just learn and play with computers. And if you break it, so what, unless you physically break it, it's no big deal, you learn something and try again. I wonder who I heard that from? Eh, musta just been some asshole.

So, wait...Breaking it in a recoverable fashion is a good thing, I can learn things from breaking it, and ignoring your method will lead to breaking it in a recoverable fashion...You know, if I was doing something clever, it would almost be like that was precisely what I was planning. But clearly, I'm not smart enough to do something like that. That's far beyond my abilities.

In fact, If I wanted something that worked perfectly well the majority of the time, provided I didn't go outside the rigid constraints of what someone else wanted me to do, I'd use a Macbook, and not bother with Linux.

Or, TLDR, Shut up, Scott. You're just talking arrogant nonsense that I've no obligation to bother with. If you've nothing useful to contribute, piss off.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2012
    [ ] - Told
    [ ] - Batman: The Brave and the Told
    [X] - The Told Man and the Sea
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • PuTTY. You must have it.
    Wait... PuTTY... for Ubuntu... Why?

My recommendation that I'm sure will piss Scott off for being too hacky is this guide to getting Netflix working on an Ubuntu machine. Basically, you install Silverlight and the Windows build of Firefox through WINE and you'll be able to Stream. It's somewhat shaky, but might be worth checking out.

Also, it's now pretty easy to get the the Steam Linux beta. Not too sure how old the old netbook is, or whether or not you're planning on doing any gaming on it, but I was quite happy when I was able to play Killing Floor on my Linux Mint partition.
  • Scooter is pretty much the king of trolling Churba.
  • edited December 2012
    PuTTY. You must have it.
    My recommendation that I'm sure will piss Scott off for being too hacky is this guide to getting Netflix working on an Ubuntu machine. Basically, you install Silverlight and the Windows build of Firefox through WINE and you'll be able to Stream. It's somewhat shaky, but might be worth checking out.
    Thanks, that looks interesting. I can't actually get netflix here, unfortunately, but I know a bloke who would be willing to loan me his netflix account, and would be willing to set up a secure VPN for the purpose.
    Also, it's now pretty easy to get the the Steam Linux beta. Not too sure how old the old netbook is, or whether or not you're planning on doing any gaming on it, but I was quite happy when I was able to play Killing Floor on my Linux Mint partition.
    I'll have to think about it, but I doubt it's going to be able to play much. Might do it anyway, though. If you want the specs, here they are.
    Scooter is pretty much the king of trolling Churba.
    He would be, if he was trolling. I strongly doubt he is, however, considering that he's given advice on this topic, and this is how he reacts every time you don't follow his advice, or at least, announce that you're going counter to it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Breaking your PC should really only involve the OS itself. Breaking it with third party software doesn't really teach you anything except how to re-install Windows.
  • Is it possible to get android apps working on Ubuntu?