This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Yeah I dunno my coworker has the nexus and he seems to really like it. I don't really know much more than that because I have an iPad.
  • I've seen a few Nexus 7 out in the wild, and tried one out. I'm not convinced android is a good enough tablet OS yet, but it took iOS about 18 months to really work out the details, and only now has the internal hardware caught up with the screen.
  • If you want 7" go with a Kindle Fire. Otherwise the Nexus 10 has better hardware than the iPad.
  • I'd go with a nexus 7 over a kindle just because its straight up android vs the weird amazon android.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't touch a Kindle Fire with a ten-foot pole. Stock Android or no Android.
  • We have a Nexus 7 at work for testing, and it really isn't that exciting.
  • On a similar vein, what ebook reader would you guys recommend, or would it be best to stick with a tablet?
  • edited December 2012
    If you already have a tablet, why do you need an ebook reader? Or you don't have either? I say tablet.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • On a similar vein, what ebook reader would you guys recommend, or would it be best to stick with a tablet?
    I have an iPhone, laptop, desktop, and HTPC. I do not have a need for a tablet. The only thing I can do on a tablet than I can't do on those other devices is read long text comfortably, so I got a Kindle. I have never bought an Amazon ebook, it can read DRM-free books. If I had to buy one today, I would get the paperwhite without ads.

However, if you are someone who does not have all those devices, a tablet may be a good thing for you. If I didn't have an HTPC or laptop, I would use a tablet very much. In that case, get the tablet of your choice. For eBook reading it doesn't matter much. A Kindle HD can obviously read books. Nexus 7 or iPad can run the Kindle app. Choose the tablet based on the other features. I would probably get the large iPad with Retina.
  • Only advantage of an ebook reader over a tablet is reading in bright sunlight. I've had my e-ink Kindle for a couple years now, but I barely touched it since I got an iPad. I may use it when I want to read at the beach or something, though.
    I got a basic, non touch screen Kindle for my birthday, and I love it. I can't really compare it to other devices, but I can verify that it's awesome.
  • So what's the verdict on newer Kindle Fire vs the Nexus 7?

I've also been looking for a tablet recently, I'm looking for something to mostly read ebooks on, but also to take on trips for light web browsing, etc.

• So what's the verdict on newer Kindle Fire vs the Nexus 7?

I've also been looking for a tablet recently, I'm looking for something to mostly read ebooks on, but also to take on trips for light web browsing, etc.

They are both pretty much the same price. I say get the Kindle if you are an Amazon person. Get the Nexus 7 if you are an Android person. If you don't know what you are yet, just keep in mind that whatever tablet you buy is the direction you will go in. Not really any super significant difference otherwise.
  • Nexus 7 is, I think, overall a stronger device. The Verge and most other reviews I've seen agree.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/14/2560084/kindle-fire-review
  • Depends on price too. Amazon recently sold the Fire 7" for $129.
  • I don't need one, my Nook Color is doing just fine for me right now, but my Mom has expressed an interest in an ebook reader recently, and my Dad and I think it'll make a good holiday gift. She has a laptop and smartphone already, so getting a tablet seems pointless. Kindle it is. Thanks!
  • Could anyone recommend a good set of headphones with a build it mike? Hopefully not more than £30/$50 that would be easy to ship. I realizes that I have gone to long in many games with out being able to talk to my team mates.
  • @Banta : Have you loaded Cyanogen mod onto your nook yet? Doing so on the Nook Color will unlock Bluetooth for you.
  • I haven't done anything to it besides load up some books. CyanogenMod looks like something I'd like though, so more investigating ahead.
  • Be sure to check out the XDA Developers section for it. It's a great resource.
  • What should I do with the world ending?
    Masturbate and Make sandwiches.

Masturbate and Make sandwiches.

And wash your hands in between.

• If the world actually starts ending, I'm instantly turning to a life of crime, wonton abandon, and destruction.
  • Some ideas I've had:

(1) Quietly reading The Book of Eibon and sipping some incredibly dark beverage.
    (2) Playing some mythos or zombie themed board game or RPG.
    (3) Blade in hand yelling at every passing car from my deck.
    (4) Feasting upon some roast beast and drinking all the ale.
    (5) Taking in all the stray cats in my neighborhood and dressing them up as my new high council that shall help lead my empire after the end of man.
    (6) Watch all of Evangelion.
  • Well the weather certainly seems apocalyptic. I think the weather ponies around here have a sense of humor.
  • If the world starts ending, I'm buying a boom box and blasting Komm Suesser Tod (the End of Eva song).
  • Have lots of sex if you can swing it.
  • Just don't swing it around in the street, that'll get you arrested.
  • Eh, it's the end of the world, might as well risk arrest.