This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• I usually won't. A minimal tip, a bad review, and never returning is the order of the day.
  • Rym said:

I usually won't. A minimal tip, a bad review, and never returning is the order of the day.

All these, but a fancy/proper restaurant usually wants to know if there's a problem. They don't know if there are problems if customers don't say anything. They actually want you to let them know if there's an issue, they just don't want you to be all Blues Brothers about it.
  • Agreed, but what I've found over the years is that they don't actually want that feedback if the restaurant is popular. Look at all the trendy places in Queens that have fancy brunch, are constantly crowded, yet actual reviews paint the food as mediocre.

I'm dubious, unless it's a very small place with close ownership, that any feedback re: the food would ever make it to anyone who would do something differently.
  • Fancy restaurants have a field of fucks specifically for your opinion, and it's even more barren than Scott's. In their opinion, they know what they're doing better than you do, you're just eating. Complaints may be noted, but if they are, usually the chef(s) just yell about it a bit later and mouth off about how much of an idiot you are after you've left. Not universal, but in their opinion, the problem is with you, not the food, unless something was seriously wrong.
  • That's not a fancy restaurant.
  • I'm in need of a new office chair. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
  • Banta said:

I'm in need of a new office chair. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

All the good ones will break the bank.
  • I'm not spending $1,000+ dollars on a chair, no matter how good, until I have a stable income.
  • Banta said:

I'm not spending $1,000+ dollars on a chair, no matter how good, until I have a stable income.

You can get used Aeron and Freedom chairs on eBay for just a few hundred.
  • Okay, that's not too bad. I'll have to check ebay for some deals then.
  • I just went to some office store and sat in a bunch until I found one I thought was real comfy. 5 years later we're still together.

Although I should probably get a new one as it's starting to fall apart in a bad way.
  • There are many multinational companies with tech departments or just large developer firms which have graduate openings for "security" (along side Developer, Product Manager, Infrastructure, Networks Engineer and Designer roles which I understand the requirements for).

WTF are you supposed to put on your application for the security position, it seems the closest to a combo of Developer, Infrastructure and Networks knowledge. However the most important thing in your portfolio is to show that you know how to hack most basic security systems and networks.

I found this strange as most people I know who have actually hacked anything important, tend to not want others to know about it unless they are claiming a bounty.

I found it weird. I also find it weird that they wouldn't consider me for the position yet accepted it for a Developer position.

I wonder what they are looking for in a student, some descriptions pretty much outline that the applicant likes and knows how to break security protocols.
  • How does one checksum a file downloaded to an encrypted filesystem?
  • edited March 2016
    Pegu said:

How does one checksum a file downloaded to an encrypted filesystem?

Decrypt it before you sum it.

Or sum it before you encrypt it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Okay but I ran into this when I encrypted my Android phone. If the entire system is encrypted, you can't decrypt an individual file afaik.
  • Someone on here got their PhD in electrical engineering a few years back, right? I'm considering going to grad school after I finish my bachelors but have no idea what to expect.
  • Look at your job market post-PhD first to determine if you really need one. Some fields (I'm looking at you biological sciences) are super saturated with PhDs and everyone is scrambling and fighting over crappy post-docs that pay crap for 5-10 years afterwards.
  • sK0pe said:

WTF are you supposed to put on your application for the security position, it seems the closest to a combo of Developer, Infrastructure and Networks knowledge.

You don't. Find a human at the company (you're an engineer, right?, so probably an engineer) and talk to them. "Hey you work at $SECURITY_FIRM, right? I made such and such thing to reverse NTP client binaries or whatever. Can we talk shop some time?"

If it's a big company, employees probably get referral bonuses too, so they'd be more than happy to recommend you.
  • Hack the company
  • Look at your job market post-PhD first to determine if you really need one. Some fields (I'm looking at you biological sciences) are super saturated with PhDs and everyone is scrambling and fighting over crappy post-docs that pay crap for 5-10 years afterwards.

So much this.

True story:

So every year, I give a lecture and tour to a group of undergrad microbiology students from St. Rose in Albany. The past couple of years, we've been working with the advanced undergrad class too - designing lab exercises and such.

After the most recent tour, I was kind of hanging around with the last group, when someone asked a question:

"So, I mean, will I be able to get a job with a BS degree?"

And I said, "Well, I only have a BS, and here I am. The market isn't great, but it's possible." They all seemed really enthused by that news. Then someone else asked, "So have you thought about getting a Ph.D?"

And I replied truthfully: I'd thought about it, but wasn't really sure.

That's when the professor chimed in. Dr. Kari Murad. And she laid some honesty on the kids:

"Don't do it. It's not worth it."

It's fuckin' brutal out there for people with advanced degrees. Positions in academia are rare, and they really don't pay that well.

Industry scientists can make bank, though, if you're in the right place and doing the right kind of work.
  • Starfox said:

sK0pe said:

WTF are you supposed to put on your application for the security position, it seems the closest to a combo of Developer, Infrastructure and Networks knowledge.

You don't. Find a human at the company (you're an engineer, right?, so probably an engineer) and talk to them. "Hey you work at $SECURITY_FIRM, right? I made such and such thing to reverse NTP client binaries or whatever. Can we talk shop some time?"

If it's a big company, employees probably get referral bonuses too, so they'd be more than happy to recommend you.
    Precisely this. If you're submitting a resume, your skills section should any penetration testing tools you know how to use as well as architectures and technologies you are familiar with, and you should do your best to cover any experience you may have like whitepapers, proof of concepts and other experience.
    Most of my work is done under an NDA, so I have a pretty comprehensive list of duties on my current job description, and an extensive list of tools. Whenever I get the chance, I'm going to add write ups and POCs to my github as well.

Basically, if you have enough to bring to the table to justify being picked up in anything besides your typical introductory position, your best bet is to go through someone in the company or to have some kind of reputation or marketable history.
  • Alaric728 said:

Starfox said:

sK0pe said:

Precisely this. If you're submitting a resume, your skills section should any penetration testing tools you know how to use as well as architectures and technologies you are familiar with, and you should do your best to cover any experience you may have like whitepapers, proof of concepts and other experience.
    Well, if you want to actually submit a resume, it shouldn't really hurt.

But I think you shouldn't bother usually. If some company actually wants you, they'll make an offer, resume submitted or not. So just make them actually want you, and skip the 1,000-applicant black hole.
  • I am in need of new headphones. Which should I get?
  • Greg said:

I am in need of new headphones. Which should I get?

What style do you like? I walk around with these all day and love 'em to death.
  • If you buy full size headphones, get ones with a replaceable cable. I've got a nice set of Altec Lansing studio headphones in my closet somewhere I can't use because the plug got ripped off and I haven't gotten around to re-soldering a new one on.
  • If you buy full size headphones, get ones with a replaceable cable. I've got a nice set of Altec Lansing studio headphones in my closet somewhere I can't use because the plug got ripped off and I haven't gotten around to re-soldering a new one on.

The pair I'm recommending has that. It also comes with a 3 or 4 foot cord and a 9 foot cord.
  • I think he's looking for something a little higher end. I recommended 280 pros.
  • I answered my own question on what to call the different parts of "upstate" New York.