This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Pegu said:

Ok but I thought the hosts file mapped a domain to an IP

You can effectively block certain domains by having your host file direct all traffic for them to 127.0.0.1.
  • Pegu said:

How do you pluralize an abbreviation? A lot of people use 's but that's just wrong. Apostrophe for pluralization? Fuck that. What do you guys do?

Just like a normal word: BLTs, PAXes.
  • Pegu said:

You can effectively block certain domains by having your host file direct all traffic for them to 127.0.0.1.
    Yeah, so then wouldn't not using a domain prevent that method of blocking?
  • Pegu said:

Pegu said:

Yeah, so then wouldn't not using a domain prevent that method of blocking?
    Just firewall that IP.
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah, I'm not saying it makes something impossible to block, just that it prevents one commonly used method of blocking.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Anybody here have any experience with the Orange Pi? Thinking about getting one for a fileserver or mini NAS or something just to dick around with and its cheaper/has better specs than a lot of Raspberry Pis.
  • Does anyone have experience with stand up desks? I've been looking into them since my lower back began to hurt and its gotten to the point where I can't remain seated longer than 15 minutes before my back starts hurting. :neutral: And I'm only 23. I'm probably going to get an Aeron chair first though, to see if that fixes the problem.
  • I always find it odd when people who have desk jobs want a standing desk. Most of my prior jobs have had be on my feet ad walking around for 10+ hours and the thought of being able to sit down is a luxury.

That being said make sure you have good shoes they are a life saver.
  • Amp said:

I always find it odd when people who have desk jobs want a standing desk. Most of my prior jobs have had be on my feet ad walking around for 10+ hours and the thought of being able to sit down is a luxury.

I completely agree I'm going from the standing up for the entire span of time at work profession to a sit down all the time. It's kind of weird but fixable if you can set up your desk, lumbar support, posture and table height appropriately.
  • Amp said:

I've been wearing Steel Blue boots for years, they are fucking brilliant. Last PAX, I'm walking minimum 24km a day according to my watch/phone, in brand new, barely worn boots - no sore feet. Not even so much as a blister. They're fucking great.
    sK0pe said:

I completely agree I'm going from the standing up for the entire span of time at work profession to a sit down all the time. It's kind of weird but fixable if you can set up your desk, lumbar support, posture and table height appropriately.

There's desks that convert between sitting and standing desks with electric motors and such. I wouldn't mind one of those.

• Yeah I'd get one that you can just pull a lever to move it up and down like on a desk chair. And if you're already considering an Aeron chair, the increase in cost probably isn't an issue. Definitely get one of those standing pads too.
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

There's desks that convert between sitting and standing desks with electric motors and such. I wouldn't mind one of those.
    I have one of those and it's awesome being able to switch back and forth when you want to. I also use a standing pad with no shoes on for the most comfort.
  • I happened to listen Born in the USA right after Born To Run. In Born in the USA, there's a line that goes "10 years burning down the road, ain't got nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go" There's 9 years between Born to Run and Born in the USA. Is it crazy to think that Born in the USA is about the young man from Born To Run being drafted into the Vietnam War and ending up homeless because the situation in America had only gotten worse for the blue collar worker?

• It's a valid idea, but doesn't really work if you look at the rest of his discography. In interviews Bruce has said that the narrator on Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and The River are all the same person. Each album chronicles a new chapter of his life, and how he is emotionally growing (compare and contrast Adam Raised A Cain to Independence Day to see what he means). Nebraska was a departure from that narrative. Born in the USA was originally recorded to be on Nebraska, but it was one of three songs Bruce liked more with the full band. The other event that happened ten years before Born in the USA was the fall of Saigon. I always interpreted "ten years down the road" as being ten years after he returned from Vietnam.

And while we're on the subject check out this sweet alternate cut.
  • I have realized, too late to edit and fix, that I misquoted the line. "I'm 10 years burning down the road, nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go"
  • I'm trying to wrangle some friends together for Anime Boston. What's our best bet hotel-wise? We're probably cramming as many people as possible into a single room because we're broke-ass college students. Also I'm assuming I'm going to be the one making the reservation and using my card, so what do I need to keep in mind when doing that? Thanks.
  • The truth is there basically aren't cheap hotels at Anime Boston. It's the most expensive con we go to other than PAX Prime/Australia, but only because of airfare... Boston has very few hotels compared to other cities with large convention centers.

Your best bet is in Chinatown somewhere if you must go cheap.
  • Rym said:

The truth is there basically aren't cheap hotels at Anime Boston. It's the most expensive con we go to other than PAX Prime/Australia, but only because of airfare... Boston has very few hotels compared to other cities with large convention centers.

Your best bet is in Chinatown somewhere if you must go cheap.

I think we can handle the $300/night for con hotels as long as we have a single room. Is a 4-person room with 2 double beds at the Sharaton our best choice? Does your advice from the old "conventions" series still apply nowadays?
  • Hotels give anime cons a lot more scrutiny than they used so, so you'll have to do a lot of things like:

1. Don't let them service your room
    2. Don't ask for more than four keys
  • Is it ever correct to frame a piece of art with a striking frame colour (red) if it suits the art but becomes the exception to all the other framed art (black frames)?

I'm trying to decide but can't work out if the aesthetic will just make everyone focus on the one red framed lithograph, I could just get it in black but red would enhance the picture so much (and buying the canvas version costs way too much for me at the moment).
  • sK0pe said:

Is it ever correct to frame a piece of art with a striking frame colour (red) if it suits the art but becomes the exception to all the other framed art (black frames)?

I'm trying to decide but can't work out if the aesthetic will just make everyone focus on the one red framed lithograph, I could just get it in black but red would enhance the picture so much (and buying the canvas version costs way too much for me at the moment).

Correct? I don't think there's any sort of formal protocol but I guess you just need to keep in mind that the the fact that the red frame coordinates with the piece might not be what people take away from the fact that it's a red frame among black ones. It's a much easier assumption that you picked red because you wanted to highlight the piece.
  • I ended up going with black because the red would detract far too much from the other prints. Thanks though.
  • Does anyone here have experience with Ableton? I've got this problem where playback is really choppy but only when I record something new. Pre-existing recordings and imported audio aren't effected. Doing the same recordings in Audacity doesn't produce the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's Ableton that's the problem. I reinstalled the program but it's not doing any better after that.
  • What is your setup? Both PC and recording setup.
  • Windows 7, Ableton Live Lite, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, both 1/4 inch and XLR input.
  • Well, I was wondering more about PC specs. The only time I had an issue like that was when I tried it with a not very good laptop. Applying effects and filters are going to be somewhat processor intensive. The base software is still decently intensive. So if you don't have a strong CPU or a more up to date mobo you might run into some issues.
  • I've got a quadcore 3.40 GHz processor and 8GB RAM which is well over the stated minimums for Live 9 Intro.
  • edited March 2016
    Okay so its a problem in the recording process. It only just occurred to me to zoom in and see if it's actually cutting out or it's playback issues, and it's actually cutting out.

EDIT: The sample rate was too high. I hope this fix sticks.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Should we complain in restaurants if the food is just disappointing enough to hit the mood of the table?

We ended up having a debate over we were had too high expectations or whether the company had gone too far with lowering standards with standardization of food preparation (which I know little about).

In the past I've asked for the bill to be modified and I write a number down to start the negotiation. When I do that I usually meet the manger and they tend to agree it because I always do it in a measurable and honest way.

That might have worked this time but I didn't do it for social reasons.
  • If it was expensive food, then yes, you should let them know.