This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• I should know this, but somehow I don't.

Is there a shorthand explanation or an equation for this sequence?

1,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1... and so on.

It's easy to do with bit shifting, but I'm not sure how to translate that into easy to understand language. It's basically a progression of wait 0, then wait 1, then wait 2, then wait 3, etc.

• count = 1
    while true:
    print 1
    for x in range(0, count):
    print 0
    count += 1

• count = 1
    while true:
    print 1
    print 0
    count += 1
    Not code. Code I have. I need to express this so a 5 year old could understand it.

• count = 1
    while true:
    print 1
    print 0
    count += 1
    Not code. Code I have. I need to express this so a 5 year old could understand it.
    One for you, one for me. Two for you and one two for me. Three for you and one two three for me.
  • 1 followed by an increasing number of 0s, rinse repeat?
  • I should know this, but somehow I don't.

Is there a shorthand explanation or an equation for this sequence?

1,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1... and so on.

It's easy to do with bit shifting, but I'm not sure how to translate that into easy to understand language. It's basically a progression of wait 0, then wait 1, then wait 2, then wait 3, etc.
    Use a set of drums.
  • For a five year old well I'm not sure about that. But you could call it a sequence of sub-sequences where the nth sub-sequence is 1 and then n 0s. Or if you want to break it down you could call it a binary representation of 2, 4, 8, 16,32. By the same logic you could also call is a series of the powers of ten where sub-sequences are each 10^n. None of those quite work for a five year old but for a half way competent adult, probably
  • An item on ETSY that's not 600 dollars? End of the fucking world man.
    That's because Most people on etsy haven't run a business before, and don't know how to price things properly. I'm still making a respectable enough profit that even if I don't sell a ton of them, I'm covering my entire materiel cost(Because while I print to order, I can't buy stock to order, my only option is buying cardstock in lots of 100 cards minimum, and it's not cheap - and I didn't even expect to sell as many as I did), my shipping costs are pretty close to what it costs me to ship, including shipping materials. As it is, I still make a coin or three out of it, but I don't need to price it at 10 or 20 bucks a badge, because that's just greed and foolishness. People think the art of business is ruthlessness, when in fact, that's only a small part of it - Ruthlessness to your competitors, but never to your customers. And When I put more products up, I'll be charging appropriately for them, too, as well as charging appropriately for my custom work - Materiel costs, plus reasonable labor and shipping. Because after all, if I drain your wallet with the first must-have purchase, then there isn't any more left for you to give me when I make the next thing, is there?
    Between Churba, Nuri, and the guy that makes terrariums out of lightbulbs, we have three of the four goddamn Horsemen.
    The horsemen of the walletpocalypse.
  • Am I the only one who uses paypal solely because they're too lazy to get up and find their wallet?
  • edited October 2011
    Am I the only one who uses paypal solely because they're too lazy to get up and find their wallet?
    Yes, because I have my debit card and bank routing and checking numbers memorized by heart.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Recomendations for good J-Rock other then The Pillows or Guitar Wolf?
  • Recomendations for good J-Rock other then The Pillows or Guitar Wolf?
    Polysics.
  • edited October 2011
    Recomendations for good J-Rock other then The Pillows or Guitar Wolf?
    Does Ore Ska Band count?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Likes both of these things. Thanks guys.
  • edited October 2011
    JAM Project.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Hey Chrubs Lamington looks good. Is it? Do you eat it at elevensies?
  • I know government workers have tomorrow off, but some schools do not. Who else has or doesn't have tomorrow off?
  • I know government workers have tomorrow off, but some schools do not. Who else has or doesn't have tomorrow off?
    I've not got tomorrow off. What's the occasion for tomorrow's offedness?
  • Columbus Day.

Yes, it's a lame day. No, I'm not hating that I get a day off.
  • I have the day off. My mom doesn't, though. Parent-Teacher conferences for kids in Elementary Schools.
  • There are no classes at my university and all professor's office hours have been canceled.
  • Boston Public Schools takes the day off.
  • Hate you all. I got to have an underwhelming Discrete Math midterm.
  • edited October 2011
    Who else is gonna watch Smash Mouth eat 24 eggs for charity at 1:30 PST?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You mean 4:30 real people time?
  • You mean 4:30 real people time?
    It's happening in Portland, so no, I used the correct time.
  • edited October 2011
    Columbus Day.

Yes, it's a lame day. No, I'm not hating that I get a day off.
    I had a full day of work today. Stop & Shop isn't closed, neither is the bakery.
    Post edited by Yuyuke on
  • Who else is gonna watch Smash Mouth eat 24 eggs for charity at 1:30 PST?
    Smashmouth exists?
  • Who else is gonna watch Smash Mouth eat 24 eggs for charity at 1:30 PST?
    Smashmouth exists?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction.