This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Duh. How often did you hear your grandparents talk about shit being like ten cents?
  • edited March 2012
    1987 here as well. I wonder if when kids now get older if they will talk about how they remember when gas was $3 a gallon.
    Propably. Every generation has their memory of how things were great when they were kids, and in many cases nostalgia for it. Every generation thinks that the time they grew up in was the best time, thanks of a combination of childish ignorance, naivety, and thick rose tinted glasses.
    Duh. How often did you hear your grandparents talk about shit being like ten cents?
    Never. I always heard my grandparents talking about how, say, a tuppence used to buy you enough lollies to last you all day, and you could feed the entire family for a sixpence, and buy a car for just over a hundred pounds.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I spent my entire childhood thinking the "next thing" would be better. Once I hit "career", and thought maybe "next career" would be better... I gave up all hope.
  • Have I become paranoid?
    A little. It's close to 60%, and can be fixed pretty easily with better education. ;^)

Or a whole hell of a lot more murder of the specified demographics.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah, I wasn't born until October of '89.
    It's quite hard to believe that I'm older than you.
    I get that a lot.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited March 2012
    Or a whole hell of a lot more murder of the specified demographics.
    I think murder is immoral. A plague is what we need. It only discriminates against people who don't take care of themselves -- idiots and depressives.
    EDIT: Green text. I actually don't want more Tumblr submissions.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Or a whole hell of a lot more murder of the specified demographics.
    I think murder is immoral. A plague is what we need. It only discriminates against people who don't take care of themselves -- idiots and depressives.
    Discrimination is good though in some cases. Case in point: I'm discriminating against fascists, racists, and bigots in who I show my stabs.
  • Yeah, but I don't trust either of us to figure out who the fascists are.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah, but I don't trust either of us to figure out who the fascists are.
    I once roomed with someone who was pretty open on his positive opinions of Hitler(which I learned to late), I don't think fascists are any more secretive.
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • I'm not just talking about those guys (I know some of them, they actually can be cool people if you keep them away from politics), I'm talking about a new breed of fascists who blindly accept and believe in what their party says. The people who attack Republicans protecting Wall St but support Obama's bail-out (please don't argue with me on this point, I'm trying to illustrate something bigger). The people who think their guns are in danger. The people who trust TV to tell them the truth. Those bastards are the new breed of fascists I want dead.
  • Didn't mean that to sound as trigger-happy as it did. I'm not actually going to kill anyone.
  • Didn't mean that to sound as trigger-happy as it did. I'm not actually going to kill anyone.
    no one would judge a polite maiming
  • Why did everyone decide to go fucking nuts about gas prices?
    Because $4 a gallon is the magic number where American's lose their shit. My car gets 37+ MPG, I'm just laughing.

Technicallt shouldn't it be undefined miles per gallon? Because a bike uses no gas, you'd have to divide by zero to calculate its MPG.
  • Why did everyone decide to go fucking nuts about gas prices?
    Because $4 a gallon is the magic number where American's lose their shit. My car gets 37+ MPG, I'm just laughing.

Technicallt shouldn't it be undefined miles per gallon? Because a bike uses no gas, you'd have to divide by zero to calculate its MPG.
    If you take the limit, MPG approaches infinity as G approaches 0.
  • Well an electric car also takes 0 gallons by that measure, making it the superior vehicle.
  • Well an electric car also takes 0 gallons by that measure, making it the superior vehicle.
    But you're missing the most important part of the highly complex equation Scott used to come to this conclusion - Scott doesn't have an electric car, he has a bike.

• If we're going to keep this going, gallons of what exactly? I'm fairly certain you use a certain amount of water on-average while biking around.
  • What's your reading speed? It takes me about 2 minutes for a page of R. Scott Bakker's stuff. I think it's kind of slow, but I guess there's people who are slower than me.
  • What's your reading speed? It takes me about 2 minutes for a page of R. Scott Bakker's stuff. I think it's kind of slow, but I guess there's people who are slower than me.
    For me it depends a lot on the writing style and author. Take Michael Crichton for example; I can read any of his books, or even a couple of them, in a night with no problems. Neal Stephenson on the other hand (depending on the book) takes me at least a few days to a week if I am trying to read it fast.
  • It honestly depends on the contents of the book. I can absorb letters into my brain really fast; my brain picks up on the words faster than I can read them, if that makes sense. I don't quite just read the sentence I'm reading; I'm also already reading the ones beside it and under it, quite involuntarily. So a light book without complex concepts, or something I've read before? I blaze through, because my upper limit is basically "how fast can my eyes move without blurring all the text". I remember when the fourth Harry Potter book came out, I read it in four and a half hours. Something more complex, I have to pause and sort the concepts out in my head, so it takes a little longer.
  • I can absorb letters into my brain really fast; my brain picks up on the words faster than I can read them, if that makes sense.
    Pretty sure that's not neurologically possible.

Reading just is the act of receiving text input. Rate of comprehension is what limits upper reading speed when handling complex texts.

• Pretty sure that's not neurologically possible.

Reading just is the act of receiving text input. Rate of comprehension is what limits upper reading speed when handling complex texts.
    I am not sure that it is neurologically impossible but could be something limited to savants, although it may be a little different that what he described.
  • Reading just is the act of receiving text input. Rate of comprehension is what limits upper reading speed when handling complex texts.
    You don't have to compehend a word to read it. Actually if I'm reading text aloud, I have a habit of not actually comprehending any of it...
  • I can absorb letters into my brain really fast; my brain picks up on the words faster than I can read them, if that makes sense.
    Pretty sure that's not neurologically possible.

I guess I'm not explaining it very well. It's like, I'm already reading words I'm not focusing on, down the page from where I'm at or something?

I dunno, it's hard to explain.
  • I personally parse words in groups. I actually read Bakkar's stuff relatively fast. The author I struggle the most with is Douglas Adams, because much of his language requires the reader to sort of read it just like spoken word... if that makes sense. Otherwise the meaning and fun of it gets lost.

That said, I think I know what you're saying sketchbook. When you start just reading words ahead while still thinking about the words behind and you gradually "out-read" yourself in terms of text to thoughts. I hit that point much more quickly with stuff like the Hitchhiker's Guide where I read things, comprehend the words and sentence structure, but then it hits me over the head that I missed the entire "point" of the thing because I was parsing the text like code. Or maybe that's not what you mean. It's hard to be clear on this.
  • Is there such a thing as intrinsic fun?
  • Is there such a thing as intrinsic fun?
    No.
  • edited April 2012
    It hasn't happened in a while, but sometimes I used to turn my head while in the kitchen or something and just have a word in my head. I'd know that I read the word somewhere while I turned my head, but have no idea what the actual font looked like. I'd always have to take a few minutes to look around and find where the word was.

Is that kind if what you were talking about?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Am I supposed to like Steve Pavlina? His article on Self-Discipline and his story about going from criminal to game developer are pretty awesome, but he's also now a self-help guru.

I know I should be making my own opinions on internet personalities, but I'm a little worried that I just haven't found the article he wrote in favor of randy-bullshit or the secret sexual harassment suit or something...
  • Steve Pavlina is full of Randi bullshit. He's just a step above Time Cube. The scariest thing is that he is completely serious.