This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Well, that bike burns calories, which you consume via eating food, which is grown and delivered with oil, so...
    Ok bit shot. Calculate how many gallons of fuel it takes to power my body to bike for a mile.
  • It's other stats aren't great. Also, Highway MPG?
  • Bicycles with gears are the most efficient form of transportation in existence.
  • Seriously, the price of fuel need to more than double before I'd really considering changing my driving habits. Even with my 25 mile commute to work, I just don't use that much gas.
  • Solar car?
  • Solar sailboat?
  • Come to think of it, producing and transporting calories seems quite resource intensive.
  • Solar sailboat?
    Isn't wind caused by the sun?
  • edited March 2012
    Sun heat and also the tides moving air around, due to the moon.

Wonder how efficient nuclear ships and subs are.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Why did everyone decide to go fucking nuts about gas prices?
    Because $4 a gallon is the magic number where American's lose their shit. My car gets 37+ MPG, I'm just laughing.
    In 2006-7 it was $3. Remember what happened when gas hit $3 for the first time in forever? People were hoarding gas, my University was suspending field trips, everybody was cutting back on vacation travel.

People eventually get used to the higher price and adjust their habits. Right now, I drive so little that a dollar of fluctuation in price per gallon is trivial.

• RymRym
    edited March 2012
    I still remember paying $0.87/gallon to fill the tank of my Laser in high school. People flipped out whenever gas got over a dollar a gallon back then. (90s).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2012
    Name: Nelson Pecora
    Place of work: Credit Suisse
    Career: Front-End Web Developer

How did you get into this line of work? In high school I got tired of working at a dry cleaners, so I got an A+ Certification and started being an IT Consultant. I switched over to development because I wanted to actually make things, rather than just help old people fix their computers.

What do you like about this job? There's a whole bunch of new stuff to learn, and I'm building products that (in their small way) make people's lives easier.

What do you find challenging about this job? There's a disconnect between the young, smart, techie developers and the old, corporate, close-minded developers. The techies want to improve processes and follow newer development workflows, while the old people keep doing the same things they've always done, which don't really work that well. For example, when you're doing Waterfall development, you shouldn't change the spec halfway through building the product, forcing everyone to rewrite everything. Just sayin'.

Describe skills needed for this career. Fundamentals of design, typography, and layout. HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. General programming knowledge (theory) really helps.

What is the impact on both professional and personal life? I'm still relatively new, since I've only been doing dev work fulltime for three years. Still, I get around 10 recruiter calls/emails per week, so I know my skills are in demand. Also, the money is pretty good, and I've made friends in the industry.

What is the future outlook for this career? Eventually I want to leave corporate and either get back into the startup game or find a small company with rockstar developers. I'm not a rockstar yet myself, so I work on projects outside of work to get better and hone my craft.

What are your words of wisdom for someone entering this career? Always keep learning more, and know what's on the cutting edge. Try to find jobs (or personal projects) where you're using those tools, and you'll have a lot of fun.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Sun heat and also the tides moving air around, due to the moon.
    The moon is a pretty insignificant factor when it comes to wind generation. It's mostly air moving from high pressure to low pressure zones.
  • As a driver of a diesel car, I'm more surprised when the price per gallon is LOWER than $4. I'm just glad that I have a job and car where I only pay about $110 a month on gas on average.
  • Gas price fluctuations really don't affect me a huge amount since I'm not at the level of income and commuting where my transportation costs are a large percentage of my expenses. Even with $4.10/gal and a 25mpg car my costs aren't that high.

However, I do feel bad for anyone else who isn't in this situation. I'm hoping things stabilize out in the middle east to help deflate the costs a bit.
  • I know there are people here who are older than me and have seen lower, but I remember when gas was $1.25 and people were losing their shit when it breached the $2 mark.
  • I know there are people here who are older than me and have seen lower, but I remember when gas was $1.25 and people were losing their shit when it breached the $2 mark.
    From Die Hard.

• Yeah, I wasn't born until October of '89.
    Damn, I'm feeling old now (born in September of '76).
    That's probably because you were old when I was born. ('84)
    It's quite hard to believe that I'm older than you.

Whoa. That's because you ARE old. (Also '84)
    Whoa. That's because you ARE old. (Also '84)
    eeeyup (also '84)
  • I think there are a couple of folks who may be older than me on this board, but I think I'm probably at least top-5 when it comes to oldening on here.
  • Joe is probably around 50 and Steve seems like he's cresting the 70 mark.
  • 1987 here.

• 1987 here.

Yeah, but do years even work the same in Australia? I thought you guys pulled a Benjamin Button job or something.
  • Yeah, but do years even work the same in Australia? I thought you guys pulled a Benjamin Button job or something.
    Yeah, but I'm used to talking to you guys, so I just did the Australian year to year conversion in my head.

As for aging, it's not like Benjamin Button, more like how Asian women do it - we seem to take a graceful pause at about 20 or so, then suddenly, BLAM, at about 55 or so we suddenly turn into awesome old dues, before progressing into being crazy happy old dudes at about 120 or so. Your years, of course. Why do you think you see very few Old-age Australians overseas? We have to keep the secret, so we duck home for a few years while we undergo metamorphosis.
  • edited March 2012
    1987 here as well. I wonder if when kids now get older if they will talk about how they remember when gas was $3 a gallon.
    Post edited by canine224 on