This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Does that also mean there are no neutral/tamed mobs? No sheep?
    "Tame" mobs are on, including wolves. Be warned, though, that if provoked, wolves turn hostile.

I will likely turn hostile mobs on sometime soon so we can get bone and string, which can be used for cool things. Now that it is permanent day, mobs won't be able to spawn topside. But they could spawn underground in the pitch black.
    Jason, can you update the isometric map of the server?
    When I get home.
  • It's easy to get infinite obsidian. Take the portal to hell with a bucket of water. Create a waterfall in the sulfur that flows into a giant lava pool.
    Doesn't water evaporate in hell?
  • I here by offer my services to anyone who needs shit done, as I'm kinda in a slump. If you see me in the server, give me a shout, I'll teleport to your location and help out, I provide my own tools. I only ask for dental, 401K and weekends off.
  • edited April 2011
    It's easy to get infinite obsidian. Take the portal to hell with a bucket of water. Create a waterfall in the sulfur that flows into a giant lava pool.
    Doesn't water evaporate in hell?
    Yes. Also, the Nether doesn't work in SMP. I tried installing a mod that would change that, and those ghasts artifacted into the main world. They weren't real. They were just... hanging there.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Jason, can you update the isometric map of the server?
    When I get home.
    Cool, 'cause I'm working on something and I want to see how it looks on the map.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm done with this game. I just gotta fix something in my building that I broke last night, and I think I'll be done.
  • The water would turn the lava into obsidian, so you would have a layer of obsidian on top of a layer of lava, with a layer of water on top of that.
    For example:--------But if you mine the O, this happens:--------And if you mine that bottom O, this happens:
    WWWWW----------------------------WWWWW----------------------------------WWWWW
    OOOOOO-----------------------------OOWOOO-----------------------------------OOWOOO
    LLLLLLLL-----------------------------LLOLLLL------------------------------------LLDLLLLL
    The D is for "Death By Lava"
    There is probably a way to make an obsidian generator, but you'll have to find it on the youtubes.
  • The water would turn the lava into obsidian, so you would have a layer of obsidian on top of a layer of lava, with a layer of water on top of that.
    That is exactly what I planned on doing. It just won't be infinite; I'll eventually turn all the lava into obsidian.

Unless I keep a lava source block as-is, or maybe make a reserve. Then, when I run out of lava, I could just pour buckets of lava back into an earthen pool and repeat the process.
  • edited April 2011
    Only the lava spring turns into obsidian, the flow turns into cobblestone.

Also, you can only pick up lava from "spring" blocks, not from "flow" blocks. So there is no way to make an infinite obsidian generator.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Also, when you mine the obsidian, you need to be on the same level as it shift walking into it, otherwise, if there is lava under there, you lose the obsidian.
  • Oh, and as an additional kick in the balls, harvesting a single block of obsidian with a diamond pickaxe takes like 15 seconds or so.
  • Oh, and as an additional kick in the balls, harvesting a single block of obsidian with a diamond pickaxe takes like 15 seconds or so.
    Cheat.
  • Also, you can only pick up lava from "spring" blocks, not from "flow" blocks. So there is no way to make an infinite obsidian generator.
    Right, I know that. I guess the question is what kind of blocks make up the pool? If there are multiple "spring" blocks, I can preserve a spring block, fill up multiple buckets, and basically make a bunch of lava springs.

Hm. Apparently, there is a way to farm obsidian using redstone as the non-renewable source.
  • Does dynamite work on obsidian? It could be faster than diamond picks.
    I think you need to use the pick in order to get the block. If you destroy it, you get nothing.
    I think you need to use the pick in order to get the block. If you destroy it, you get nothing.
    Correct. The only shortcut to obsidian is by cheating or being blessed by the server gods.
  • Also consider that the ground is very deep, and you could conceivably build the entire tower underground in a massive cavern. Or even better, have it spire out of a giant hole and rise into the sky, essentially going from bedrock to the upper sky limit.
    I was definitely going to dig the tower into that island a good bit, if it can support it. I like the idea of a tower rising out of a hole, though.

I don't know if I can pull it off, but it might be cool to make the entire tower look like a forearm and clenched fist rising out of the water. Then I could make the fortress facade look like a face. Like a trapped titan or something. With lots of gold, obsidian, and lava.

You see what this game does to me?
  • I like the idea of a tower rising out of a hole, though.
    The tower of Bab-El in Final Fantasy IV had its base in the underworld, rising through the crust of the planet a mighty spire surrounded by darkness.
  • I like the idea of a tower rising out of a hole, though.
    The tower of Bab-El in Final Fantasy IV had its base in the underworld, rising through the crust of the planet a mighty spire surrounded by darkness.
    Also Final Fantasy Legend 1?
  • I really liked Alex's lava tower on Secondus. It was all craggy and spiky and black and evil-looking.

Rym, you really should join us. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
  • Pete, if you need obsidian: take the portal near spawn to Earthheart Cathedral, for it provides easy access to the fiery depths of the earth.
  • Pete and George are whitelisted. Get working, buddy boys. :D
  • edited April 2011
    I really liked Alex's lava tower on Secondus. It was all craggy and spiky and black and evil-looking.
    It wasn't just evil-looking, it had a cold, murderous life of its own. I managed to die by its hand more than once.
    Post edited by Sail on
    But I still have 4 hours at work. :'(
  • edited April 2011
    Pete and George are whitelisted. Get working, buddy boys. :D
    I have lots of other things to do, but I will strike out at some point tonight and build an igloo. And get mining. And stay up till 1:30 AM because OH MY GOD MY OUTER WALL ISN'T PERFECTLY ALIGNED THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.
    Pete, if you need obsidian: take the portal near spawn to Earthheart Cathedral, for it provides easy access to the fiery depths of the earth.
    Thanks. I want to work with my own lava pool first, though. I'll hit that up when I need more lava. Mmmmm. Delicious lava.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    I have lots of other things to do, but I will strike out at some point tonight and build an igloo. And get mining. And stay up till 1:30 AM because OH MY GOD MY OUTER WALL ISN'T PERFECTLY ALIGNED THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.
    It's like you are living inside my head.
  • edited April 2011
    It's like you are living inside my head.
    Well, y'know, solipsism and so forth.

EDIT: Actually, what I really do is a build a rough framework, and then refine it once I've gotten somewhere. I often put down a bunch of blocks, build a room, and then tear down a wall and rebuild it slightly differently. Then I wind up redoing the roof, or maybe moving that window, or...

Fuck this game.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited April 2011
    Pfft. You should have seen my sky palace on Secondus.
    My suggestion is as follows:
    1. Dig the hole. I can help you make it look au naturale if you want, or you can do a sort of inverted ziggurrat (sp) thing.
    2. Make a base wider than you want the tower to be, you'll need the room for the fist.
    3. Build ever upwards.
    4. Add stairs, floors, and windows as you build upwards.
    5. Build a cube or dirt at the top that is probably one order of magnitude larger than how large you want the fist to be.
    6. Carve fist out of dirt.
    7. Replace outer layer of dirt with obsidian, gold, and whatnot.
    8. LAVA.

The reason you want to carve out of something like dirt initially is because placing an obsidian block in the wrong place is stupidly time consuming, since you then have to remove it.

Incidentally, I recommend building out of multiple materials, since the color changes are usually very aesthetically pleasing. For example: gold bracelet, ring, fingernails on the fist. Different stone colors around windows and doorways. Redstone torches for different lighting.
    Also:
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • The reason you want to carve out of something like dirt initially is because placing an obsidian block in the wrong place is stupidly time consuming, since you then have to remove it.
    Yes, this is how I actually build things, except that I do replacement.

Hardmode: I want the lava to pour out from between clenched fingers, down the back side of the fist. So I'll need to make the fist massive and fill it with passages so I can move in between fingers.
  • edited April 2011
    Hardmode: I want the lava to pour out from between clenched fingers, down the back side of the fist. So I'll need to make the fist massive and fill it with passages so I can move in between fingers.
    I am really excited to see this.
    Post edited by Jason on