This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Hit F3 when you're playing and post the X, Y coordinates. It helps a bunch.
    Well, yes, I would have done that, except I'm at work. Trust me, you can't miss the giant stone lava-spewing dick.
  • post the X, Z coordinates.
    FTFY. For reasons I don't understand Y is vertical in this game rather than Z.
    Y is always vertical on a 3D graph
  • What we need is a server with more bandwidth. The server cried when we were all logged on last night.
    For just $9.99 per player per month, I can tell you it's a T1 connection.
  • Y is always vertical on a 3D graph
    Except when it's Z.
  • I thought Z was depth.
  • Usually. Minecraft is different.
  • edited April 2011
    The various 3D APIs (OpenGL, DirectX) all use X horizontal, Y vertical, and Z depth relative to the camera. Positive Z is forward for sane folks, though -Z is forward for OpenGL by default.

Minecraft uses OpenGL, so Y is vertical, while X and Z are the horizontals.

Modeling programs are a little more varied; Maya uses the above by default; 3DSMax uses Z vertical by default; and AutoCAD (I think) uses Z as the vertical (presumably because it's used in realms where top-down views are the norm, like floorplans).
    Post edited by Alex on
  • I haven't used AutoCAD in a long time, but I'm almost positive it was the same Z depth.
  • God forbid they standardize all that.
  • Standards? In technology?
  • Standards? In technology?
    Hey, now. We have IEEE standards. It works. Sometimes.
  • Hello peoples. This is a reminder that the server will be down, as it is every Thursday evening, from about 8:15 to 10:30 p.m. EST. This is to accommodate recording of Atomic Trivia War 9000.
  • Keep on waiting suckers! We're playing L4D2 now! :P
  • Is the server back up yet?
  • At long last, a new map of Tertius.
    Um, I think you mean an old map. My structures aren't on it.
  • At long last, a new map of Tertius.
    Um, I think you mean an old map. My structures aren't on it.
    It takes a long time for those maps to render.
  • Keep on waiting suckers! We're playing L4D2 now! :P
    I wanna play!
  • Notch says that (probably) next week we get v1.5 with rain, overcast, snow, and lightning.
  • Um, I think you mean an old map. My structures aren't on it.
    Nor my two new waterfalls, and my tree on a tree on a tree on top.
  • Adam: I know you were looking for my location. My excavation site is at X (-797), Z (330). From there, just look for the stone tower that's spewing lava. You'll see the island and cliff face.
  • Adam: I know you were looking for my location. My excavation site is at X (-797), Z (330). From there, just look for the stone tower that's spewing lava. You'll see the island and cliff face.
    Adam can't hear you. He's been deafened by the roar of the more than 200 blocks of TNT we set of this evening inside a mountain.
  • Do you spend a lot of time diving underwater to build various things? I highly recommend you craft yourself a gold helmet.
  • Which should make it slightly easier to find the second secret I've placed. Or at least, you die less.
  • edited April 2011
    Notch says that (probably) next week we get v1.5 with rain, overcast, snow, and lightning.
    Seems like the rain puts out fires also. So any open fire pits need covered up.

Speed up to show you the changes

It also seems like he set up the achievements to work as a tutorial for new players.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • What items do you want to be able to buy that you can't normally get? I know string is one. Name others! (I am not going to sell TNT or other materials that could be problematic.)

Unless something drastic happens, I plan on making working stores tonight.
  • I don't play on the server very much, but I think bonemeal is one.
  • edited April 2011
    Bones for wulluf training, the netherstones and the various dyes.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The marketplace now includes shops to sell materials and use coin to buy bones, string, gold ingots, and diamond pickaxes. Not everything works perfectly yet. There is a merchant NPC there who will give you tips. Each player has 100 coins to start. Get more by selling cobblestone, sandstone, and (not working yet) lava buckets. After you have closed a chest to buy/sell, you have to click any block around you or leave the area to finalize the transaction. Yes, it's buggy. I hope to upgrade this system as better plugins become available.
  • The market is now bug-free and works in a different way.

Gold ingots are now used as currency.
    To get gold ingots, sell items such as dirt, cobblestone, sandstone, redstone, wood planks, cactus, lava buckets, and wheat.
    To sell items, hold the appropriate number in your hand and right-click the appropriate sign at the market.
    To find out the price of items, simply punch the market signs.

You can now buy string (to make fishing rods and dispensers), diamond tools (expensive), iron ingots, bones (to tame dogs or make bonemeal for instantly growing trees), glowstone, and more.

The market is relatively close to the spawn point. Exit the spawn platform, turn right, and head up past the portal complex. You have to wind around a little to get there. Look for the white tent tops!