This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I am really excited to see this.
    Listen, it's gonna be a while. Well, OK, I'm going to make it be a while, because otherwise I'll stay up for days trying to get it finished.

Also, it's going to be ugly as fuck during the building. I'm very much a "trial-and-error" builder.

I'm thinking now of a second arm. I think the clenched fist could be the right arm, and the left hand would be spread out, palm down, with its fingertips pressed against the earth. To look like it's pushing itself out of the earth, basically.

I never was a fan of taking the easy road.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Pete, if you don't want to go through the trouble of using a pick to harvest obsidian, you could always build by casting your designs.
  • Do not be alarmed. The server is down for about 20-30 minutes. It is to generate an isometric map per Kiey's request. Expect it back up sometime around 4:45 p.m. EST.
  • Pete, if you don't want to go through the trouble of using a pick to harvest obsidian, you could always build by casting your designs.
    Ok, that's awesome. I really, really want to play minecraft, it's just that every time I join I feel lost and without direction.
  • Hardmode: I want the lava to pour out from between clenched fingers, down the back side of the fist. So I'll need to make the fist massive and fill it with passages so I can move in between fingers.
    I am really excited to see this.
    If only the server wasn't down...
    So how the hell did he cast the towers? That's what I want to know.
  • When an update goes out, you end up with a client-server version mismatch.
  • it's just that every time I join I feel lost and without direction.
    For the first 10 minutes that I played, I was like, "This is fucking stupid and pointless." But once I started building, I just couldn't stop.

I like to pick pieces of terrain and say, "THAT is my goal." I had a mountain with a recess in the side, so that there was this pronounced overhang that cast a shadow on the foot. I said, "I will connect my fortress to the base of that overhang." And that was my goal.

For this server, I took a look at the map, and the instant I saw that cliff face, lava pool, and island, I said, "I'm doing something with that."
  • Ok, that's awesome. I really, really want to play minecraft, it's just that every time I join I feel lost and without direction.
    Yea I have the same problem, that and exploring only to die in the cave and never be able to find your stuff again really sucks.
  • Great. Once again you have made me feel ashamed of myself. I gave up my plans of making a temple, because I felt that it would need an idol made of gold and that felt too complicated. And here you are talking about making a obsidian fist, with lava.

So if anyones asking I'll be building my watertemple.
  • So how the hell did he cast the towers? That's what I want to know.
    Apparently you only need water in an adjacent block to convert lava to obsidian. He said in the forum post that he set up some sort of waterfall system, and he could just place lava blocks and have them turn to obsidian instantly. The water physics may have changed since he built this, though.
  • Yea I have the same problem, that and exploring only to die in the cave and never be able to find your stuff again really sucks.
    Try dying in magma, speaking of which, Jason, can I get some charity?
  • Pete, I will join you in your endeavor to Fist Tertius.
  • Pete, I will join you in your endeavor to Fist Tertius.
    Goatse.jpg
  • edited April 2011
    Pete, I will join you in your endeavor to Fist Tertius.
    Goatse.jpg
    Line the entire hole with red wool, build two massive sandstone hands ("No really, guys, they're fortified bunkers!") holding the hole open. Cartograph G.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Looks like we may get the piston mod added to minecraft. I have so many ideas if it is.

• So, if someone forgets to place an obsidian block to stop stuff from moving, you can basically shift someones building 300 blocks away?
  • There is a limit on how many blocks It can push when I tested an earlier version 20 was the limit. I would say around 5 blocks would be a better idea to balance it a bit.
  • edited April 2011
    You know what that whole piston thing screams to me?

Minecraft Portal.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • XKCD seems especially appropriate today in light of the fact that Pete was up until the prophesied time this morning playing Miiiiiiinecraaaaft.
  • At long last, a new map of Tertius. It took forever to get the renderer to actually make it this time, for some reason.

Who is making that really tall wall around Sirako?
  • Hey, I can see my house from here!

Pete, how late were you up mining?
  • At long last, a new map of Tertius. It took forever to get the renderer to actually make it this time, for some reason.

I am, which is why I asked about making a new map. I was curious how it was looking.
  • edited April 2011
    At long last, a new map of Tertius. It took forever to get the renderer to actually make it this time, for some reason.

What is with those spars? can you erase them from the save? Also, the entire map is reversed.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on

What is with those spars? can you erase them from the save? Also, the entire map is reversed.
    You can change that in any editor if you'd like.
  • Pete, how late were you up mining?
    Only till midnight!

Stupid fucking lava flows.
  • edited April 2011
    Only till midnight!

Stupid fucking lava flows.
    PROTIP - When mining obsidian - particularly where you find large fields of it - it is worth checking the depth of the lava, and if possible, walling off the obsidian with a disposable materiel, such as sand, so that you can mine it in safety and peace.

Also, RE map - Bollocks, looks like I missed an edge. Sorry about that. But you can see my villa, with the hanging balcony where I wasn't smart enough to build up, and instead, cleared away a quarter of a mountain.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • PROTIP - When mining obsidian - particularly where you find large fields of it - it is worth checking the depth of the lava, and if possible, walling off the obsidian with a disposable materiel, such as sand, so that you can mine it in safety and peace.
    I haven't even started mining obsidian. I set up two signal towers that use lava as their light source. One of them has lava pouring from the top and collecting in a basin underneath. Lava is hot.

I may go back to that one and make it taller. I think it needs to be taller.

Also, can someone explain to me how in the fuck an iron bucket can contain lava when I scoop it into it, but is destroyed when it falls into the lava? How does that make sense?
  • Also, can someone explain to me how in the fuck an iron bucket can contain lava when I scoop it into it, but is destroyed when it falls into the lava? How does that make sense?
    Buckets are insulated on the inside but not the outside?
  • Buckets are insulated on the inside but not the outside?
    Very tricky, those buckets.