This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Depression and Such

Comments

• I totally understand. Whatever this thread and the people here can do to help, we will try. Or at least I know I will.
  • Gruh. New events. New dread. Not sure how to describe it.
  • Do any of y'all have experience with residential programs? My therapist recommended it for me, but I'm hesitant because I don't know what to expect, and got burned so bad by my time in inpatient.
  • Residential programs? As in kind of living in a sort of halfway house/boarding school/etc. sort of thing?

My sister was in one for a while. I guess it did her some good.
  • I think it's that sort of thing, though halfway houses are generally for substance abuse which I don't qualify for. From what I've gathered, it's like institutionalization, but with more lax rules and unlocked, but I'm not certain what exactly they do when you're in there -- what I've read has just been buzzword bingo.
  • Greg said:

I think it's that sort of thing, though halfway houses are generally for substance abuse which I don't qualify for. From what I've gathered, it's like institutionalization, but with more lax rules and unlocked, but I'm not certain what exactly they do when you're in there -- what I've read has just been buzzword bingo.

Sounds like what my sister was in alright. The rules were reasonably lax, though she did have to live there and wasn't given freedom to go out too much except for scheduled excursions with family and such. Essentially, you had to attend school classes, do household chores, and so on, in addition to whatever other therapy was appropriate.
  • edited December 2013

What is today's date?
    Who is the President?
    How great a danger do you pose, on a scale of one to ten?
    What does "people who live in glass houses" mean?
    Every symphony is a suicide postponed, true or false?
    Should each individual snowflake be held accountable for the avalanche?
    Name five rivers.
    What do you see yourself doing in ten minutes?
    How about some lovely soft Thorazine music?
    If you could have half an hour with your father, what would you say to him?
    What should you do if I fall asleep?
    Are you still following in his mastodon footsteps?
    What is the moral of "Mary Had a Little Lamb"?
    What about his Everest shadow?
    Would you compare your education to a disease so rare no one else has ever had it, or the deliberate extermination of indigenous populations?
    Which is more puzzling, the existence of suffering or its frequent absence?
    Should an odd number be sacrificed to the gods of the sky, and an even to those of the underworld, or vice versa?
    Would you visit a country where nobody talks?
    What would you have done differently?
    Why are you here?

Post edited by Pegu on
  • My doc's started prescribing Ritalin to keep me from getting distracted by my depressive thoughts. At first I was like "dude, you are just out of ideas, aren't you?" but it's actually working, oddly enough.
  • I am at the end of my rope here and I cannot take it anymore. After my parent's divorce, I am primarily living with my father in downtown New Haven, mostly out of convenience as my college is right around the block. I do, however, spend a weekend at my mother's house every now and then so I can still see her. However, it has been difficult living with him. My father and I have always had a broken relationship and I can only see it deteriorating as time goes on; repairing it may not be possible anymore. The primary issue is that he is a person who has serious anger issues and will fly off the handle at the most mundane things and will proceed to become a being of pure anger when he is set off. He has a one tract mind in that once he gets angry, he cannot move away from the focal point of his anger. He is never physically violent and he never insults me, but he does call me a liar when I am telling the truth and seemingly is unable to see any side of an issue other than his own.

By contrast, I am a much more cool-headed person and I do not tend to lose my temper at all (I do once in a blue moon) and I have found that trying to be diplomatic, logical, and calm is completely useless. The root of a lot of his anger these days seems to be directed to my slob-like nature, something he has tried to ground into me to change, and something which I have tried very hard to change (so it is not like I am not trying or that I am ignorant of what he wants from me). Tonight though, he had another eruption and, for the first time as an experiment, I gave him space for about 15 minutes and tried to approach him and tried to reason with him and tell him that his anger hurts me and makes me afraid of him. I also tried telling him that his all of this anger he unleashes makes me genuinely concerned that he could hurt himself and I brought up what could happen if he does not at least make an attempt to control it (e.g. susceptible to heart attacks and other medically accurate results of untreated anger), but he dismissed it and called it quote unquote "bullshit". I just hit my breaking point and I do not think I can live with him anymore so long as he continues to have these uncontrolled, explosive temper tantrums.

Should I make steps to get out of there and cut myself off from him or are there any strategies I can use to try to make him aware of his anger and hopefully help him to calm down and not go ballistic all the time?
  • In general as an Adult, you will always have a better relationship with your parents the more you are not dependent or living with them. If you can move somewhere I would. It probably will make you both happier, he'll probably calm down a bit.
  • Cremlian said:

In general as an Adult, you will always have a better relationship with your parents the more you are not dependent or living with them. If you can move somewhere I would. It probably will make you both happier, he'll probably calm down a bit.

Aye. Gain personal autonomy. The rest will follow.
  • Why not move in with your mother if you can't get a place of your own?
  • What do you do when your friends abandon you, you can't go to school, you can't get a job, you spend every day at home alone, video games and cartoons stop taking the pain away, your fingers hurt too much to pour your soul out onto your guitar, and your caffeine drip won't stop the bad thoughts any more?
  • Find new friends? Join some civic organizations? how old are you?
  • I'm 17. What civic organizations do you suggest? The only opportunities I know about (which isn't to say they're the only ones that exist, they're just the ones I know about) are political, and I've been trying to quit politics for quite some time now.
  • Study for your GED, pass it. Study for your ACT. Score moderately. Apply for college or community college. Try it out. A new environment.
  • Civil Air Patrol, if you like planes. I think you only need to be 16 for that one. :P
  • I could use some "civil" spirit to help me with some "organization" at the house. How about a week or weekend somewhere new? You get a cot, your own room and meals.
  • Study for your GED, pass it. Study for your ACT. Score moderately. Apply for college or community college. Try it out. A new environment.

Not dropping out yet. In September I get one more shot at graduating from one of the best schools in the country, and I'm not giving that up.
    HMTKSteve said:

I could use some "civil" spirit to help me with some "organization" at the house. How about a week or weekend somewhere new? You get a cot, your own room and meals.

I'll talk it over with my parents. I don't know how they'd feel about me going to live with this guy from the internet, but I'd be game for it.
  • I met your parents at conecticon. They can come as well.

Seriously, there are a lot of FRC members in the North East. Even though we can have our differences of opinion I don't think anyone would really turn away another forum member in need. I wouldn't expect anyone to let you stay forever in their home but a weekend? Why not.

Well, except for Scott. I have a feeling he would tire of 90% of us within 30 minutes. :D
  • Were I to have my own place I'd make a similar offer as HMTKSteve but I'm still with my parents myself. For all the shit I give people, I try to help where I can.

And believe me Greg, it gets better. Stick with it to the end, and then keep going.
  • I did the Civil Air Patrol from like 13 to 15. It was "ok." I did enjoy rockets, planes, camping, and my self-discipline was increased. I did not enjoy (but I guess I learned a lot from) interacting with overly involved parents and adults having inappropriate relationships with children. Not to disparage the organization itself, just my one set of experiences.
  • I'm pretty sure I have non-24 disorder. If not I at least end up getting the same symptoms artificially from the internet and shit. Either way there's not much I can do other than take stimulants in the morning and melatonin at night. I'm back to nocturnal for now and kept sleeping too late to get my Zoloft prescription so I went without for a couple of days. Man that messes with your head. Would not recommend.

adults having inappropriate relationships with children.

That kind of sounds like a deal breaker.
  • I guess I shouldn't have said Civic organizations and meant, Anime Clubs, Board game groups, SCA or any number of hobby groups that allow interaction between a wide range of people.
  • adults having inappropriate relationships with children.

That kind of sounds like a deal breaker.
    It was. But that was one unit out of thousands. So I don't judge the whole organization by it.
  • A really good quote that sums up depression perfectly: "I wanna go back to when I laughed at things I thought were funny."
  • Pegu said:

A really good quote that sums up depression perfectly: "I wanna go back to when I laughed at things I thought were funny."

I wanna go back to when I was able to sleep and eat.
  • Sorry to hear that Joe. Don't mistake me for an angsty teen that doesn't know depression. I spent 2 months in hospital with Major Depressive Disorder last year. I didn't mean to suggest that depression was as simple as not laughing easily.
  • Hey, I didn't take it in any bad way. I'd like to laugh too. It would be just be nice to be able to sleep and eat regularly as well.